3.6 GPA 29 Mcat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

E=mc^2

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately I scored only a 29 on my MCAT. The score does not represent all the hours I put into studying. I studied with Kaplan and started with around a 27. I kept practicing and my score climbed and my last two Kaplan tests were 34 and 36. I also took the free Gold Standard test and scored a 34. Then I started taking the AAMC tests and I suprisingly was scoring much lower on those, 26-31. I didn't have much time to react, because I took those all about a week before the real thing.

Strangely I rarely scored a 10 on a verbal reasoning before which I did on the real thing. I always been 6-9. I also never scored less than a 20 on the bio + physical, and I scored a combined 19 on those on the real thing. Retaking it does not seem a viable option because I studied for literally 8 hours a day 7 days a week for approximately 4 months for this exam. I don't see what more studying would do.

My GPA is approximately a 3.6 GPA. I did not know what kind of job I wanted until my second year of college. At that time I had approximately a 3.4 GPA. I shadowed some doctors and realized I loved medicine. Since then I have had a 4.0 in every class for the past two years. I am also a Florida Resident, which helps for the 7 in state schools including Florida State (average GPA 3.6, average MCAT 27)

My extracurricular are pretty decent, although I don't have much leadership experience. What would you guys suggest if I want to get into an MD school? I really don't want DO. I was also thinking about these schools:

Rosalind Franklin
Temple
Arizona
Mercer

I am still looking at schools. Any ideas for me to get into an MD program? I know my GPA and Mcat are on the lower side, but I feel that I have a strong uptrend GPA and graduated with a tough double major and chem minor. Also I feel I am lucky to be a resident of Florida, as there are plenty of MD in state schools who accept mainly Florida residents.

Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Apply to all the FL schools.

Mercer is for GA state residents, don't waste your money on them.

Otherwise apply to private MD schools with lower stats averages (see the MSAR): RFU, Loyola, SLU, Creighton, MCW, TCMC, Albany, Temple, Jefferson, Drexel, GWU, WF, etc...

Some state schools as well: Arizona, Vermont, Toledo, and Cincinnati

Reactions: 1 user
You could also add GWU, Georgetown, Quinnipiac, Vermont and Rush.

I think you'll be totally fine. Your GPA is fairly competitive, and an MCAT score of a 29 is not terrible. 30+ is ideal but at least you didn't get anything below the national average. Expand your school list. Do more research on where you want to go.