3.60/~85%ile New MCAT, School list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neuropro

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My stats are I'm a rising senior, 3.60cgpa, 3.40sgpa, approximately 85%ile on the new MCAT. I have extensive research experience (5 summers) with a couple abstracts, a potential publication, I have about 200 hours of clinical shadowing from a wide variety of fields, about 500 service hours these past 3 years primarily at 2 places where I've been recognized by my university for doing (maybe helps?). With that service I have about 30-40 hours volunteering at a free health clinic. For two of those research summers I was either awarded a competitive internship and the other summer I applied for a grant from the university and received it. I've been a pretty typical involved member on campus in greek life etc, and have other activities that I hope make me "well rounded."

I really just need help rounding out my school list, I plan on applying to my in-state schools and the following is the list I've made that are my out of state schools I plan on applying to. I realize some of you guys may view a couple like USC and Dartmouth as reaches, but I thought I may as well include a couple after seeing my stats still are in their MSAR range!

University of Illinois @ Chicago
Uniformed Services University (I have talked with one of their deans, highly interested in the program as I strongly considered ROTC/Academies out of HS)
Indiana University
Virginia Tech
Tulane
GW
Georgetown
Wake Forest
Michigan State
Albany
New York Medical College
Keck SOM @ USC
Dartmouth
University of Kentucky
Western Michigan

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
bump. I just need input on any school recommendations, or what you think about this list?

Are you applying this cycle? The "potential" publication will be of no use then if it is not out yet.

What is your residency state? Because in your situation Indiana, Illinois and Michigan State don't make much sense unless you are in state. GW and Georgetown get as many applications so if money is tight I'd scratch those. I know you want to include a couple reaches but at 3.6-3.4/32 that is kind of pushing things. Dartmouth is one of the last schools I'd apply to as a reach. USC, perhaps might be worth a stab.

Here more to consider
Temple
Drexel
Medical College Wisconsin
Eastern Virginia
Oakland
Loyola
Rush
Quinnipac
Rosalind
Tulane
Cooper Rowan
Thomas Jefferson

Add New York Medical College, Albany, Wake, Western Michigan, Virginia Tech, Uniform Services and perhaps a couple reach choices of yours(note schools like Miami and Saint Louis as potential reaches NOT Dartmouth or schools with very low OOS numbers) and you should have a solid list. DO's should also strongly be considered in your list.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think 85th percentile is equivalent to a 32. Our test was a lot more difficult than yours and mid-tier schools I have spoken with said around 70th percentile would most likely be the average.

I don't think 85th percentile is equivalent to a 32. Our test was a lot more difficult than yours and mid-tier schools I have spoken with said around 70th percentile would most likely be the average.

You score based on percentiles to account for difficulty, that's the entire point.

https://www.aamc.org/students/download/85332/data/combined08.pdf

32 is between 85-89th percentile. Whether it is a 31 or 32 is irrelevant; no medical school admission decision is swinged by someone having a 31 vs 32.

Reactions: 1 user
nope. "Because scores from the current and new exams have different meaning, you cannot directly compare applicants with current MCAT scores to applicants with scores from the new exam."-aamc

Think about it..we have a whole separate section, our ps and bio was mostly biochem, our exam was 8 hours, the question style was more difficult (I have taken both tests, so I can directly compare). There is no possible way for you to say that a certain score on the old matches one on the new

Last edited:
If these schools have a median of 29 now, they are right (for them).

85th% for the new test is going be considered equivalent to a 32, though.

nope. "Because scores from the current and new exams have different meaning, you cannot directly compare applicants with current MCAT scores to applicants with scores from the new exam."-aamc

Think about it..we have a whole separate section, our ps and bio was mostly biochem, our exam was 8 hours, the question style was more difficult (I have taken both tests, so I can directly compare). There is no possible way for you to say that a certain score on the old matches one on the new
We aren't saying it matches, we are saying that when a comparison is required between pools, a 32 will be considered equivalent to the 85th% on the new test (if current projections hold up).

If these schools have a median of 29 now, they are right (for them).

85th% for the new test is going be considered equivalent to a 32, though.

This is all there is to it. The only reason any score has any meaning is because there is a percentile attached to it that shows how well you did. All anybody cares about is how well you did compared to others who took the test; that's why the MCAT is so important and a measuring tool.

This whole comparing different tests talk misses the point. All that matters is percentile rank to show how well you did. A school that had an average of 32 typically has students who scored in the top 15 percentile of top test takers. They won't suddenly lower their standards to make their class consist of mostly top 30 percent because of a new test. A more difficult test is reflected by scores that are lower and hence the same ranking; nothing more.

Guess that makes sense but still seems unfair to see them as equivalent

I suggest the following:

U Colorado
U AZ (both)
U VM
U Toledo
USF Morsani
Miami
St. Louis
Albany
Albert Einstein
Rochester
Rush
Rosy Franklin
BU
NYMC
VCU
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
George Washington
Emory
USC
Tulane
Loyola
Creighton
Any new MD school, except Central MI.
Any DO program
Your state school(s).

My stats are I'm a rising senior, 3.60cgpa, 3.40sgpa, approximately 85%ile on the new MCAT. I have extensive research experience (5 summers) with a couple abstracts, a potential publication, I have about 200 hours of clinical shadowing from a wide variety of fields, about 500 service hours these past 3 years primarily at 2 places where I've been recognized by my university for doing (maybe helps?). With that service I have about 30-40 hours volunteering at a free health clinic. For two of those research summers I was either awarded a competitive internship and the other summer I applied for a grant from the university and received it. I've been a pretty typical involved member on campus in greek life etc, and have other activities that I hope make me "well rounded."

I really just need help rounding out my school list, I plan on applying to my in-state schools and the following is the list I've made that are my out of state schools I plan on applying to. I realize some of you guys may view a couple like USC and Dartmouth as reaches, but I thought I may as well include a couple after seeing my stats still are in their MSAR range!

University of Illinois @ Chicago
Uniformed Services University (I have talked with one of their deans, highly interested in the program as I strongly considered ROTC/Academies out of HS)
Indiana University
Virginia Tech
Tulane
GW
Georgetown
Wake Forest
Michigan State
Albany
New York Medical College
Keck SOM @ USC
Dartmouth
University of Kentucky
Western Michigan

Thanks for the advice guys. So I realize my GPA doesn't blow anyone out of the water, but will a 3.4 sGPA be truly limiting? I Was hesitant to look at some of those because my sGPA seems on the bottom of their MSAR range, although my cGPA and MCAT seem appropriate? How much weight should I put into looking at sGPA on MSAR for these schools?

Also I'm from Ohio, and I've noticed Indiana tends to give a higher amount of OOS interviews relative to others state schools, in addition I know a few people from my school that have gotten interviews at Illinois-Chicago as OOS applicants, and specifically their program helping underserved areas fits well with my personal statement and what I really want to do as a physician!

Hey so sorry to add even more, but I found out I might be in line for not one, but TWO publications in the next couple months (should be finalized by August according to the PI), will this push the meter at all on my application? I've heard that adding to your application when it is a publication is something medical schools will look at (unlike more shadowing hours etc..) Thanks!

Hey so sorry to add even more, but I found out I might be in line for not one, but TWO publications in the next couple months (should be finalized by August according to the PI), will this push the meter at all on my application? Thanks!
A few of them may like you better (e.g. Wake)
The ones where they might like like you a lot because of research will still not like the MCAT...

A few of them may like you better (e.g. Wake)
The ones where they might like like you a lot because of research will still not like the MCAT...
Ahh I understand, what about state research schools like Ohio State or a private in-state like Case? Would that potentially help for them though?

Essentially w/ 2 publications, are there any schools that I might not have been in reach of before, that I could add as a reasonable reach?

Ahh I understand, what about state research schools like Ohio State or a private in-state like Case? Would that potentially help for them though?
You will still be right at the 10th% for Case.
You might be a little more delicious to OH state.

Just reading this... You OP went from 1 potential publication to having 2 publications. These are very different. Do not put potential publications on apps. They are equal to no publication.

Just reading this... You OP went from 1 potential publication to having 2 publications. These are very different. Do not put potential publications on apps. They are equal to no publication.
I don't plan on even mentioning 1 on my primary. I went from 1 potential to 2, because we submitted to many places, hadn't heard back, and now heard back from 2 places for different projects I've worked on. Thanks for your concern but I fully understand ethics; I was planning on using whatever means of updating once they were actually confirmed.