3.61 cGPA 3.84 sGPA 32 MCAT. chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hassm1990

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have volunteering experience at my community fire department. I have logged over 1000 hours with them over the course of three years. I am a qualified interior firefighter/EMT. I still have 2 semesters left and I am confident my cGPA will be 3.8 by the time I graduate. What are some schools in New York in which I have a chance. I am really worried that I will not get in medical school ( Osteopathic or allopathic). All I want in life is to be a doctor, am I asking for too much?

I also have letters of recommendation from the chief of my fire dept., one from my pre-med advisor, and I will be getting another one when I do some genetic research this summer.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Don't forget to do some physician shadowing. Also, if all your clinical experience is as an EMT in a rig, then you might look into getting some experience in a clinical environment, too.

With your projected application stats of 3.8/32 (assuming balanced subscores), you would be competitive for all the med schools in your state except for Cornell and Columbia. Sinai and NYU are just a bit of a reach, but they might prefer to see more research (and maybe leadership) than I see as being on your application right now. But I'd suggest you apply anyway due to your extraordinary public service.

You will probably also need three faculty letters from your teachers: two science and one nonscience are pretty standard requests.

3.74 cGPA 3.85 sGPA 35R MCAT

ECs:
2 years volunteer firefighter/ Working on EMT class now and will have 2 years of EMT practice before med school.
Genetic research planned for this summer/shadowing various physicians: cardiologist/family practice

Work 30 hours a week.

We get about 1000 calls a year and im required to maintain 35% of all calls so thats approximately 350 hours a year. Most of the calls are medically related and occasional fires here and there.

I just want to know which schools in NY I would have a chance at.

Thanks again for comments.

Members don't see this ad :)

ECs:
2 years volunteer firefighter/ Working on EMT class now and will have 2 years of EMT practice before med school.
Genetic research planned for this summer/shadowing various physicians: cardiologist/family practice

Work 30 hours a week.

We get about 1000 calls a year and im required to maintain 35% of all calls so thats approximately 350 hours a year. Most of the calls are medically related and occasional fires here and there.

Any leadership?

Check out the MSAR or SDN Matriculant Spreadsheet http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=831618 for schools that would be a fit. Based on your stats, I think you will be fine

ECs:

Work 30 hours a week.

Sorry, I'm confused as to how you changed your cGPA and MCAT score so drastically in 17 days especially since in most schools the semester has not even ended yet.
With a 3.7 and 35 you can pretty much apply to any medical school in NY even the top rated ones. You might be at a slight disadvantage at the 'top tier' since they want to see research but you should apply any way. Also another concern is the lateness In the application if you're applying now, some schools probably aren't accepting applications anymore so make sure you read up on deadlines.

Last edited: