3.62, possibly 3.7 first semester overall GPA: Competitive or not?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wusta

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
So my first semester at Baylor Univ. did not go as well as I hoped it would. I ended up with a 3.62/4.00 overall gpa, with a C+ in Bio Lab, B in bio 1, and A's in the rest of the classes. I'm hoping that the GPA is gonna end up as a 3.7 (I'm still trying to negotiate with my professor). Is this gpa going to hurt my chances of being a successful pre-med student? Especially that C+ in Bio Lab?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
So my first semester at Baylor Univ. did not go as well as I hoped it would. I ended up with a 3.62/4.00 overall gpa, with a C+ in Bio Lab, B in bio 1, and A's in the rest of the classes. I'm hoping that the GPA is gonna end up as a 3.7 (I'm still trying to negotiate with my professor). Is this gpa going to hurt my chances of being a successful pre-med student? Especially that C+ in Bio Lab?
Thanks
You are 100% GOING TO BE FINE! I got a 3.3 my first semester and I got a C+ in a four credit science last year. Plenty of people get significantly lower GPAs their first semester and end up getting into plenty of med schools. Also don't bother "negotiating," professors hate that and it is not necessary.

Reactions: 1 user
You're fine. Congrats on a relatively solid beginning to your college career.

Members don't see this ad :)
You don't have to negotiate with anyone. A 3.6 in your first semester is perfectly fine; many applicants get into medical school with a 3.6 overall at the time of their application. Just relax, continue to do your best, and please, don't let premed neuroticism get the best of you.

Hell, I failed my first college exam.

You're going to be okay. Relax.

Additionally, your GPA can rise. It is only your first semester.

Thanks for all the replies!
I'm just really stressed about my gpa since I've heard so much about how important grades are in being a competitive medschool applicant.
Btw, GomersGoToGround, did you read House of God???

Your GPA is more than fine especially for first semester college. What's more important is not becoming "that student" who negotiates grades with their professors every semester =)

Quit fussing, you're fine. Did you know that the avg GPA of med school acceptees is 3.6?

Hi,
Thanks

Sorry, I couldn't resist "negotiating" with the professor this time because I was only .1% away from an A in the class. Haha I guess it can't be changed. Gotta have fun during Christmas break haha

Sorry, I couldn't resist "negotiating" with the professor this time because I was only .1% away from an A in the class.

Nothing wrong with negotiating over .1%.

One semester record is insufficient for establishing competency.

The average GPA for matriculants is 3.69. By the time you apply, it will probably be around 3.71.

Its a great gpa, ill give you the same advice I always give though: Figure out what went wrong in the classes you didnt get As in and fix it. Asking the professor is a great resource since they understand their class and have been students for their whole lives. Going to a professor after a class is done and asking about how you could've done better always ends better than asking for a bump anyways if you are considering their letter of rec.

Things far more concerning than your 3.62 GPA in this thread:

#1 That you don't understand what the average accepted medical school applicant GPA means.
#2 That you try to 'negotiate' with professors over grades.
#3 You have some concept of a "successful pre-med student"

Do as well as you can in your classes. Do not waste your time grade grubbing or focusing on them. If you do the absolute best you can, if you are academically capable of handling medical school, your grades will not hold you back. If you want options down the road, keep busy, get something out of your undergrad. It isn't a 4 year waiting period prior to medical school. It is a time to grow and figure things out to set yourself up to be a good physician. Don't waste it.

Reactions: 7 users
Schools look at the entire application (GPA, MCAT, experiences, etc). A .1 GPA boost won't matter much in the long run.

I'll bite; I do not think you are competitive. Someone, who is knowingly pursuing medicine, as a freshman, will usually have higher marks. That is, unless you are in a program, which is notorious for being more difficult (STEM).
Anyways, like everyone else here said, you are on the right track, but I would not call your GPA alone, competitive.
Follow mimelim and grow from your undergrad. You are going to sink if you are concerned with .1's.
Good luck OP.

+pissed+

kids these days....