3.62cGPA 3.5sGPA 28MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

katd03

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there! Need some help from the SDN community. I'm looking for chances and possibly help with a school list (primarily DO). Stats:

• 3.62cGPA, 3.5sGPA, 28 MCAT
  • 3 years of undergraduate research experience including an honors undergraduate thesis
  • Volunteering: ~150 hours volunteering at a research hospital over 3 years (3 hours/week); ~300 hours in a college service club (the college version of Kiwanis, we just volunteer throughout the community i.e. soup kitchen, Salvation Army stuff, etc) over 3 years
  • LORs: all strong, from a science professor, my two undergraduate research mentors, my past boss, and my current boss
  • Activities: resident assitant, Writing Fellow, and officer for the service club during undergrad
  • Shadowing: ~50 hours, a wide variety of specialties, including DOs and MDs
  • I don't have a physician letter yet which I know is a strike against me for DO school, but I'm working on it and may just go ahead and submit my primary without it for now. Unfortunately, I had one of the physicians I shadowed agree to write me a letter and then promptly cease returning any of my emails/calls... :(
  • I'm currently taking a gap year and working as a research associate in a biology lab. We have a paper due out soon that I will be an author on, and I will likely be an author on at least one other paper in the coming year (do publications help much??).
Thanks in advance for the input!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You are competitive for any DO school. Apply to at least 10 and you should receive several interviews. For MD apply to your state school and Quinnipiac, Oakland Beaumont, Western Michigan and any new private MD schools that open in 2017 (there may be several).

I'm currently taking a gap year and working as a research associate in a biology lab. We have a paper due out soon that I will be an author on, and I will likely be an author on at least one other paper in the coming year (do publications help much??).
Yes.

Would you consider retaking the MCAT? A higher score would put you in line for MD, easily.

Members don't see this ad :)
OP said primarily DO is their focus so there's no reason to re-take the MCAT as he's is primed to get loaded with II's with a solid DO list.

For MDs, your state schools will be by far your best bet. Take a stab at some of the lower tiers Faha recommended if your inclined for an MD(although retaking the MCAT and getting 80th+ percentile will help alot more).

Concur.

I suggest the following:

Quinnipiac

Oakland U Beaumont

WVU

EVMS

Rosy Franklin

MCW

Creighton

NYMC

VCU

Rush

Loma Linda (but read their list of don'ts)

Albany

Your state school(s).

Any DO school.

You are competitive for any DO school. Apply to at least 10 and you should receive several interviews. For MD apply to your state school and Quinnipiac, Oakland Beaumont, Western Michigan and any new private MD schools that open in 2017 (there may be several).

I have similar stats to OP, with little higher gpa/volunteer + clinical experience.

What i don't understand is how can one suggest applying to schools like MCW and Creighton (and even Oakland to some extent), when these schools have median cGPA and sGPAs of 3.8 or above according to MSAR, and OP is barely meeting their 10%ile, if that.

@Goro

Quinnipiac

Oakland U Beaumont

WVU

EVMS

Rosy Franklin

MCW

Creighton

NYMC

VCU

Rush

Loma Linda (but read their list of don'ts)

Albany

Are there any specific ones you were referring to, and can we apply to them through AMCAS in current cycle?

@Faha

Last edited:
OP is still above the 10%ile lines, and thus is in striking distance.

I have similar stats to OP, with little higher gpa/volunteer + clinical experience.

What i don't understand is how can one suggest applying to schools like MCW and Creighton (and even Oakland to some extent), when these schools have median cGPA and sGPAs of 3.8 or above according to MSAR, and OP is barely meeting their 10%ile, if that.

@Goro

Are there any specific ones you were referring to, and can we apply to them through AMCAS in current cycle?

@Faha
There are 2 Texas state schools (Dell and Rio Grande) but those are good only for Texas state residents. California Northstate is new as well as CUNY (they will be admitting a class in 2016 but it is not clear when they are accepting applications ). There will probably be new state schools in Nevada, Washington, Illinois and Indiana in 2017. Potential private schools for 2017 are Seton Hall, Henricopolis, Roseman, Mayo (Arizona), Virgin Islands, Nova Southeastern (in addition to their current DO school a new MD program) and one in Colton CA. 2017 could be a good year to apply to MD schools. There will also be several DO schools opening by 2017.