3.63 cGPA 3.32 sGPA School Recommendations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

future_MD123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
3.63 cGPA, 3.32 sGPA. MCAT 30
Extracurriculars
  • Ecuador Medical Missions Trip- served as Lab Tech and scribe- 12 days
  • Worked 2 summers in pulmonary practice as MA
  • Shadowing Experience: 140 hours comprised of Pulmonary, Cardiology, Oncology
  • President and VP of club
  • Helped open free health clinic in low income low insured area(ongoing service in this clinic)
  • 3 years of serving on crew in church
  • Potential Organic Chemistry lab research
  • Potential biomedical research summer program
Residence: Idaho

School suggestions both MD and DO?

Appreciate any help!

Members don't see this ad.

You would be competitive for most DO schools. Apply to at least 10 next June and you should receive several interviews. Your chances for MD are approximately 50%. University of Washington gives some preference to Idaho residents. Also consider Creighton, St. Louis, Loyola, Rosalind Franklin, Rush, Western Michigan, Oakland Beaumont, Quinnipiac, New York Medical College, Albany, Jefferson, Drexel, Temple, Tulane, GW, Wake Forest. There will also be new MD and DO schools opening for 2016 so apply to any private ones when these are known.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the advice. So I shouldn't try to boost my sGPA with a post bacc and just apply??

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice. So I shouldn't try to boost my sGPA with a post bacc and just apply??

This is a great question, and unfortunately, there is no good answer for someone in your situation. Your sGPA is definitely a concern, but it isn't low enough to shut the MD door. Keep in mind that you'll need exposure to osteopathic medicine if you want to apply to DO schools, which I believe you definitely should.

I have the same GPAs but a 33 MCAT, and I got into my first choice MD. I would recommend a possible retake of the MCAT and raise it to a 33+, but I don't know if you'll have the time to prepare for a January exam.

Your stats are very competitive for all the DO schools, but you will be an underdog for MD schools. But don't give up hope!

Thanks for the encouragement! Is there a certain recommendation for hours to shadow Osteopathic physicians?

I'm gonna question that MCAT retake. Right now, you're right on the threshold of MD acceptances. If you go up one or two points, it's solid, but if you go DOWN a point, your number now starts with two, and allopathic schools hate numbers that start with two. Furthermore, it's gonna be hard to book a seat for the old one: they've been full for months. The new one is a fearsome juggernaut wild card of a test and all bets are off regarding your performance.

For all applicants, the odds of getting into medical school is like 40%. For you, it's around 49%. You're not an underdog, you're just a...dog. I would apply to both DO and lower-tier MD along with whatever schools give in-state status to Idahoans, since they don't have a medical school in their state.

Awesome! That makes me feel better. I think Utah gives Idaho residents in state tuition so I'll be sure to apply there. Also, how do you distinguish the tiers? Is it based on acceptance with a certain Lizzy M score?

Awesome! That makes me feel better. I think Utah gives Idaho residents in state tuition so I'll be sure to apply there. Also, how do you distinguish the tiers? Is it based on acceptance with a certain Lizzy M score?
It's based on US News and World rankings, and it's very arbitrary.

I would recommend a possible retake of the MCAT and raise it to a 33+
Retaking a 30 MCAT is suspect to committees. It's also extremely risky in general. Retaking and getting a 32 wouldn't help you that much but retaking and getting a 28 would be detrimental to your chances at an MD school. Of course if you retook it and received a 35 that would be great, but that is not something you can count on. Maximize your chances with what you have now. Apply to low-tier MD schools:

State schools + Drexel, Rosalind Franklin, TCMC, VCOMM...schools of that nature.

and apply to many DO schools as well if you can afford it. You are a great applicant for most DO schools.

I think OPs main objective should be to raise that sGPA. That's what's really holding them back for MD. I wouldn't retake the MCAT unless you were 100% positive that you could increase your score by 2-3 points(not an easy task). If you haven't already, definitely buy the MSAR , so that you can find schools that are in reach. Apply early and broadly to a mix of MD and DO schools, and you should be good.

You should take a look at: Quinnipiac, AMC, Western Michigan, MCW, Sidney Kimmel, and OUWB

I think OPs main objective should be to raise that sGPA. That's what's really holding them back for MD. I wouldn't retake the MCAT unless you were 100% positive that you could increase your score by 2-3 points(not an easy task). If you haven't already, definitely buy the MSAR , so that you can find schools that are in reach. Apply early and broadly to a mix of MD and DO schools, and you should be good.

You should take a look at: Quinnipiac, AMC, Western Michigan, MCW, Sidney Kimmel, and OUWB
Also take a look at Medical College of Wisconsin, Virginia Commonwealth, Rush and the others that were recommended.

OP, if you really want MDs, do one of the two things below:

1) Raise your sGPA to a 3.5+ (you currently have a 3.32)
2) Raise your MCAT to a 33+ (you currently have a 30)

Doing one of the above should give you a very solid shot at MD schools. Doing both of the above should give you a great chance. Best of luck!

So what should I do about raising my sGPA? Post-Bac program? Retake courses?

Also, does the MSAR change a lot from year to year? Or is it pretty consistent?

So what should I do about raising my sGPA? Post-Bac program? Retake courses?

Did you graduate already? If so, just take individual science classes at the cheapest/closest 4-year university you can find. I wouldn't retake any courses unless you got a C- or lower.

1 1/2 years but my major is not a hard science major like biology or chemistry.

1 1/2 years but my major is not a hard science major like biology or chemistry.

You have plenty of time then! You don't have to be a hard science major to take science classes.