MD & DO 3.63 cGPA, 3.5 sGPA, 506 MCAT- School List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

canes_season

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I’m currently deriving a school list for applications in June. Any suggestions to boost my application are very much appreciated (criticisms as well). I’ll be applying to both M.D. and D.O. schools.

Here are my stats:

- 3.63 cGPA, 3.5 sGPA (bad freshman year, upward trend, 4.0 every semester after sophomore yr.)
- 506 MCAT: 128 phys/128 bio/126 psych/124 cars
- Clinical Volunteer at hospital and free clinic: 200 +hours
- Physician Shadowing: 200+ hours (oncology, pediatric surgery, primary care, nephrology)
- Center for AIDS Research (for credit, 1 semester)
- Bacteriology research (for credit, 1 semester)
- Immunology & cancer research assistant (poster presentation, pending publication in high impact journal, ~3 Semesters)
- VP SOC/CRIM Honor Society 4 semesters), community service fraternity E-board (2 semesters)
- Big Brother/Big Sister- 100 hours
- MIC lab TA (1 semester), peer network advisor for research (4 semesters), academic tutor (1 semester)
- National EMT certification
- Currently working as a medical scribe and oncology group
- Just began working as cancer educator for ACS

Allopathic (Preliminary)
UF
FSU
FAU
UCF
Miami
USF
FIU
Michigan State
Rosalind Franklin
Drexel
Eastern Virginia
Quinnipiac
Albany
George Washington
Loma Linda
Marshall
Rush
Saint Louis
Thomas Jefferson
Temple
Creighton
Commonwealth Medical College (Scranton)
Arkansas
University of South Carolina
University of South Carolina-Greenville
Vermont
Virginia Commonwealth
Virginia Tech
West Virginia
New York Medical
Oakland Beaumont
Loyola

D.O
KCCOM
CCOM
NSU
AZCOM
New England
Nova
Michigan State
Philadelphia

If there are any schools that I should erase from my list, feel free to let me know. Likewise, feel free to let me know if there any schools I should add.

I know my stats aren’t jaw-dropping, so I am trying to stick with majority low-tier schools with a couple of reaches.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Are you SDA? Is your primary mission to serve Christ?
If not, delete Loma Linda.

GW gets more apps than anyone.
AR matriculated 26/1968. Seems a little scanty to me.

Lima Linda deleted...
Are there any others that you'd recommend ?

Members don't see this ad :)
IF you aren't from Florida delete all the FL schools.

If you aren't from Michigan delete Michigan State

If you aren't from West Virginia, delete Marshall

If you aren't from South Carolina delete the SC schools.

If you aren't from Arkansas delete U of A

Your MCAT is too low for Va Tech.

As you probably know you are a much better DO candidate than an MD one. Having said that, with a good broad list and early application next cycle it is possible you might find luck with an MD school, particularly if you live in a luckier state.

IF you aren't from Florida delete all the FL schools.

If you aren't from Michigan delete Michigan State

If you aren't from West Virginia, delete Marshall

If you aren't from South Carolina delete the SC schools.

If you aren't from Arkansas delete U of A

Your MCAT is too low for Va Tech.

As you probably know you are a much better DO candidate than an MD one. Having said that, with a good broad list and early application next cycle it is possible you might find luck with an MD school, particularly if you live in a luckier state.

Thank you for your input. Yes, I am a FL resident. With that in mind I am pushing for more of the FSU's/USF's/FIU's. Just need an interview from a couple of schools, but if not, D.O. will of course be the next option.

Thank you for your input. Yes, I am a FL resident. With that in mind I am pushing for more of the FSU's/USF's/FIU's. Just need an interview from a couple of schools, but if not, D.O. will of course be the next option.

Last edited:
My stats are very similar to yours. I am considering taking the MCAT again, but I am not sure if I should. Any advice? Do you mind telling us how it went for you in your application cycle? I really would love to know :)

So I've spoken with several counselors, and right now its in my best interest to take the MCAT again. Also I enrolled in an accelerated one-year online masters program in medical science. Given that I do better on the MCAT in May, the remaining question on my app would be my GPA. If I don't get in this cycle I will have a master's degree in medical sciences by the time I apply next cycle. The key is to get A's in all or most of the grad school classes or the program is virtually worthless. For the people that have similar stats as mine I suggest taking the MCAT again and aim for 511+

So I've spoken with several counselors, and right now its in my best interest to take the MCAT again. Also I enrolled in an accelerated one-year online masters program in medical science. Given that I do better on the MCAT in May, the remaining question on my app would be my GPA. If I don't get in this cycle I will have a master's degree in medical sciences by the time I apply next cycle. The key is to get A's in all or most of the grad school classes or the program is virtually worthless. For the people that have similar stats as mine I suggest taking the MCAT again and aim for 511+

A masters degree will not remediate an undergrad GPA unless it is an SMP. What will remediate a lower GPA is taking courses to actually boost the GPA. Fortunately for you your GPA isnt really some big issue; sGPA is a little below average(avg is 3.63) but you can get into an MD school with this GPA just fine with the right MCAT score.

This isnt exactly breaking news and you probably know this, but really only take the MCAT if you have a good reason to believe you can hit 511+. Retaking and getting a similar score puts you in a worse spot than you would be otherwise; as is currently a 3.6/29 might be enough to sneak you into one of your Fl state schools.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user