3.63 Cgpa 3.53 Sgpa 36 MCAT Chances Please?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

icefire1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, based on my number stats alone, I have a school list that I compiled and I was hoping that you guys would give me your opinion on it. Let me know if I should add any schools of take out any (i'd like to add more schools to about 30). Or its its bottom heavy, top heavy, something like that. Thanks , I really appreciate it!!

CGPA - 3.63
SGPA - 3.53 (upward trend tho)
MCAT - 36Q V10, PS13, BS13
Resident of NJ and applying in 2011 - 2012 cycle

UMDNJ NJMS
UMDNJ R.W.J.
Michigan State
Tulane
GWU
Drexel
MC Wisconsin
Penn State
Jefferson
U Buffalo
Boston University
U Maryland
Georgetown
U Wisconsin
U Cincinatti
Rochester
U Massachucetts
Tufts
Iowa
U Miami
U South California (my wtf, why not school)
U North Carolina chapel hill (my #1 reach school :scared:)

Members don't see this ad.

More details please? Research experience? Volunteering, shadowing, etc?

More details please? Research experience? Volunteering, shadowing, etc?

Just wanted to base it solely off my number stats b/c I'm still working on my ECs. But here they are so far

clincial shadowing - starting in july; so no hours yet
hospital volunteering - 400+ hours (over 5 years)
research - i have three projects i am currently working in. POSSIBLE publication in one of them hopefully
leadership - charity work with ISNA (an islamic charity foundation), treasurer of one of my clubs at my school

thanks for replying btw

Members don't see this ad :)
UMDNJ NJMS
UMDNJ R.W.J.
Michigan State
Tulane
GWU
Drexel
MC Wisconsin
Penn State
Jefferson
U Buffalo
Boston University
U Maryland
Georgetown
U Wisconsin
U Cincinatti
Rochester
U Massachucetts
Tufts
Iowa
U Miami
U South California(my wtf, why not school)
U North Carolina chapel hill (my #1 reach school :scared:)

I would take out the ones I bolded. Do not apply to Massachusetts - you pretty much have zero chance if you're not a resident. As for UNC, if you have the money and love the school that much, then you can still apply. Just realize, again, that not being a resident will make it really difficult for you.

Michigan State is very pricey for an OOS student. Check the latest estimates for tuition before applying.

Since you have Jefferson, Drexel, and Penn State on there... why not Temple? Also, you have Cincinnati on there... why not Toledo and OSU? Others you can look into include Creighton, SLU. And depending on how strong your research is (your description is somewhat vague), you could even throw in a couple reaches like Einstein, NYU. There are also the typical "safeties" of NYMC and Albany (although they do tend to get a significant # of applicants, like Drexel). Schools in Illinois like RFU, UIC, and Loyola seem to be relatively receptive to OOS applicants. You can also consider Rush, although they do take a bit less OOS (but still ~25% of the class or so).

Thanks so much, I really appreciate it. I'll have to think about NYU since it's pricey , but more of a reason is b/c it is WAY out of my reach. :(

Any other takers?

I would take out the ones I bolded. Do not apply to Massachusetts - you pretty much have zero chance if you're not a resident. As for UNC, if you have the money and love the school that much, then you can still apply. Just realize, again, that not being a resident will make it really difficult for you.

Michigan State is very pricey for an OOS student. Check the latest estimates for tuition before applying.

Since you have Jefferson, Drexel, and Penn State on there... why not Temple? Also, you have Cincinnati on there... why not Toledo and OSU? Others you can look into include Creighton, SLU. And depending on how strong your research is (your description is somewhat vague), you could even throw in a couple reaches like Einstein, NYU. There are also the typical "safeties" of NYMC and Albany (although they do tend to get a significant # of applicants, like Drexel). Schools in Illinois like RFU, UIC, and Loyola seem to be relatively receptive to OOS applicants. You can also consider Rush, although they do take a bit less OOS (but still ~25% of the class or so).

Agree somewhat with this list. Scratch Rush though (they get over 5000 oos applicants for 100 interview spots. Same with RFU and Loyola both get 8k apps for 400 oos interview spots. And the secondary is really long and pricey). AECOM and NYU are both good additions (and, I would argue based on your stats alone, not reaches).

Agree somewhat with this list. Scratch Rush though (they get over 5000 oos applicants for 100 interview spots. Same with RFU and Loyola both get 8k apps for 400 oos interview spots. And the secondary is really long and pricey). AECOM and NYU are both good additions (and, I would argue based on your stats alone, not reaches).

thanks for your input! :)

do you think i should cut my school list down to around 20ish (or even lower?). i have about 28 schools on my list as of now