3.63 cGPA, 3.57 sGPA, 32O MCAT, NY resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RipCity167

Code Surfer
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I just wanted to know what you guys think about my chances of getting into the following med schools based on my stats.

3.63 cGPA
3.57 sGPA
32O MCAT

Bio major with a minor in chem and psychology. Division II athlete (Men's Soccer), premed club member, . Volunteer trips to Lakota Indian reservation and New Orleans to help with community service programs. Part of a summer internship at Franklin Hospital in NY - clinical rotations, lectures, and case presentation. Deans List, College Honors Program, various NCAA awards for academic excellence. Shadowed the medical director of Franklin Hospital for 4 weeks.

Here's a list of the schools I'm planning to apply to this summer. Let me know what you think.

Allopathic (MD) Schools
Boston University :bow:
Brown
Columbia
George Washington
Georgetown
Hofstra
Jefferson
Mount Sinai :xf:
New York Medical College
NYU
Tufts
SUNY Stony Brook
SUNY Downstate

Osteopathic (DO) Schools

NYCOM
PCOM

Members don't see this ad.

You have nothing to worry about with those stats. You should get invites to atleast 50% of those schools on your list, especially your state institutions.

You didn't mention leadership or a substantive research experience, which more-selective schools would find appealing on an application.

Stats-wise, I'd say your chances are good at those I've bolded, which is not to say that some dream schools aren't OK to include too:
3.63 cGPA
3.57 sGPA
32O MCAT

Boston University -more of a reach
Brown - quite a reach
Columbia - quite a reach
George Washington
Georgetown -slight reach
Hofstra
Jefferson
Mount Sinai -quite a reach
New York Medical College
NYU -more of a reach
Tufts -more of a reach
SUNY Stony Brook -slight reach
SUNY Downstate

NYCOM
PCOM
No Albany?

Members don't see this ad :)
You didn't mention leadership or a substantive research experience, which more-selective schools would find appealing on an application.

Stats-wise, I'd say your chances are good at those I've bolded, which is not to say that some dream schools aren't OK to include too:
No Albany?

Thanks for the input. Can you be a little more specific when you say "leadership experience"? I'm currently applying to a research internship so hopefully I'll have some research experience by the end of the summer. I was also wondering if adcoms would consider the case presentation as research?

I'm also a Latino immigrant. Would this improve my chances at some of those dream schools?

By the way I forgot to mention Albany. Its definitely on my list.

1) Can you be a little more specific when you say "leadership experience"?
2) I was also wondering if adcoms would consider the case presentation as research?
3) I'm also a Latino immigrant. Would this improve my chances at some of those dream schools?
1) Leadership=taking on responsibility, carrying through an initiative, managing other people, delegating tasks, causing change to occur. Examples: club president, student senate member, newspaper editor, training other volunteers or newbies in the workplace, starting a new special interest or public service group, getting it organized, building membership, making it grow and evolve, being sure it will survive when you leave campus, direct a play or chorale group, etc.

2) No.

3) You'd have more of an edge despite some lower numbers, but you still have to demonstrate to those schools that you have the postential to be a future leader in medicine, as that is who they want to train.

I would add Buffalo and Upstate too. Neither have difficult secondaries, both are solid schools, and you would have a pretty good shot at both.