3.65 cGPA 27S MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDpremed14

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking at East Coast Schools
-3.65 cGPA 3.5 sGPA
-27S MCAT (10V, 9PS, 8BS)
-Will have 2 years experience of full-time clinical research at Hopkins SOM by time of matriculation
-Was an ED Scribe during undergrad (hundreds of hours clinical experience)
-Shadowed multiple specialties in undergrad and high school
-No lab research experience

Am taking the MCAT again on March 23- my practice tests are 30+ but I am terrified:eek:. Thoughts? Words of encouragement? Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

i think your stats are great. would focus on raising MCAT score though and maybe finding some research or community service opportunities

Agree that the MCAT score needs to be higher. Others probably know more about this, but I'm guessing that Adcoms look at the actual breakdown (not just total). So, even if the composite score ends up being good, if it's only good because of a strong V score, then that's an issue. I'm guessing that you need to get your BS & PS scores to a 10 each (or only have one be a 9).

Members don't see this ad :)
You say you are looking at East Coast schools but when application season comes around I would encourage you to apply more broadly to include schools in the Midwest as well. Other than that, I would focus on the MCAT and try to get in more extracurricular activities, namely ones that involve volunteering and perhaps leadership.

Thanks! I have a lot of service and leadership experience- I founded a club and co-founded a nonprofit for cancer support. Just really need to focus on that MCAT. I am worried about what I will do if my score does not improve, wondering if I should consider DO or should attempt MD this cycle. I am taking classes through an M.S. in Biotechnology this summer and will have an A in that class prior to interviewing. Anyone out there get into Maryland with below a 30? That's definitely my number 1- so not having lab research should not be too big of a deal at all especially because of my 2 years of clinical research.

I'm looking at 30-33s on my practice tests now but want to get consistent 35s in the next 2 months before my March 23rd test date.

Strongly concur. I'm not pleased with that 8 in Bio; it's pretty mediocre.

I'll recommend the re-take. If you can score >30, I think most decent mid-tier schools will give you an interview. Apply to some safety schools like NYMC just to be sure.

You fine as is for any DO program.

Agree that the MCAT score needs to be higher. Others probably know more about this, but I'm guessing that Adcoms look at the actual breakdown (not just total). So, even if the composite score ends up being good, if it's only good because of a strong V score, then that's an issue. I'm guessing that you need to get your BS & PS scores to a 10 each (or only have one be a 9).

Looking at East Coast Schools
-3.65 cGPA 3.5 sGPA
-Will have 2 years experience of full-time clinical research at Hopkins SOM by time of matriculation
-Was an ED Scribe during undergrad (hundreds of hours clinical experience)
-Shadowed multiple specialties in undergrad and high school
-No lab research experience

Am taking the MCAT again on March 23- my practice tests are 30+ but I am terrified:eek:. Thoughts? Words of encouragement? Thanks!!

While you have great clinical experience, showing some altruism (volunteering) wouldn't be a bad idea. Research isn't mandatory but it shows curiosity and thinking skills, so it's useful. But if you don't like research and know you won't be able to get anything meaningful out of it, don't do it.