MD & DO 3.65 cGPA 3.3sGPA 31MCAT Some input?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

negi980

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a senior at the University of Minnesota taking a gap year. I am majoring in Microbiology. I was in the Honors Program but I had to drop out, due to health issues - I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer my Sophomore Year and did my battle while taking classes. Because of this, my GPA dropped from ~3.8 to ~3.6. I also had to withdraw from a couple of classes.

ECs

Physician Shadowing with MD. clinical and OR -~40 hours
Nurse Shadowing in the Philippines ~10 hours
Research Club Officer (University): 2 Years
Entertainment club officer (University): 1 year
Church volunteering (highschool)

Research Experience:

Ecology Lab: 2 semesters
Biochemistry Lab: 1 semester; finished a drug assay
Microbiology Lab: Year.

Work Experience:

Industrial Micriobiology Lab Student Tech: 3 years
Food Service Busser/disher: 4 years (highschool)

LOCs

1 MD
2 Microbiology Prof
1 Biochem Lab supervisor
1 Microbio Lab supervisor

I would like to add that I am fluent in 3 languages, but I am not sure how much of an impact that would give me.

I intend to work during my gap year. I also plan on adding to my clinical experience. If I could afford it,I am considering taking classes to boost my GPA.

For Medical Schools I am primarily looking at schools in Minnesota and in the Midwest. I am hoping to get into either of the University of Minnesota medical schools. I am seeking input for other medical schools I should consider. Thank You very much.

Members don't see this ad.

I am a senior at the University of Minnesota taking a gap year. I am majoring in Microbiology. I was in the Honors Program but I had to drop out, due to health issues - I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer my Sophomore Year and did my battle while taking classes. Because of this, my GPA dropped from ~3.8 to ~3.6. I also had to withdraw from a couple of classes.

ECs

Physician Shadowing with MD. clinical and OR -~40 hours
Nurse Shadowing in the Philippines ~10 hours
Research Club Officer (University): 2 Years
Entertainment club officer (University): 1 year
Church volunteering (highschool)

Research Experience:

Ecology Lab: 2 semesters
Biochemistry Lab: 1 semester; finished a drug assay
Microbiology Lab: Year.

Work Experience:

Industrial Micriobiology Lab Student Tech: 3 years
Food Service Busser/disher: 4 years (highschool)

LOCs

1 MD
2 Microbiology Prof
1 Biochem Lab supervisor
1 Microbio Lab supervisor

I would like to add that I am fluent in 3 languages, but I am not sure how much of an impact that would give me.

I intend to work during my gap year. I also plan on adding to my clinical experience. If I could afford it,I am considering taking classes to boost my GPA.

For Medical Schools I am primarily looking at schools in Minnesota and in the Midwest. I am hoping to get into either of the University of Minnesota medical schools. I am seeking input for other medical schools I should consider. Thank You very much.

Definitely gain more clinical experience, ECs, and work on your GPA if you can. High school activities won't do anything for you on your app. I'd suggest adding Creighton, MCW, Rosalind Franklin, NYMC, EVMS, VCU, and any DO school.

Gotta boost that sGPA, but you have a very good story to tell with the cancer battle. Work on clinical and sGPA if you have the money. Otherwise spend a lot of time thinking of how to tell your story.