MD & DO 3.65 cGPA, 3.45 sGPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

delerium

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
deleted

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Right now, I am a senior at school with about 102 credit hours, my major is psychology and minor is biology. My projected cGPA is 3.6, sGPA is 3.45. MCAT I'm expecting 32-33. My EC's are mostly:
a lot of volunteering at two non-profit clinics throughout my undergrad, volunteering renovating and rebuilding homes for the poor and elderly, shadowing two MD's (an IM and a pathologist), active volunteer at a organization that helps teach english to refugees and distributes food to disadvantaged families in Houston area, Biology and Chemistry tutor for two years, Various international volunteer experience (I moved to the US in 2009)
LOR's from two MD's, at least two professors. I was an international student until junior year (Now a Texas Resident), economically disadvantaged (non working parents, support them as much as I can), licensed property & casualty insurance agent with three years experience (just thought id mention it, don't know if relevant)

I have a slight downward grade trend from junior to senior, majorly because I transferred to a University where the tuition was around 10k a semester for me. Fighting to get it back up, should graduate at 135 hours with the above mentioned stats. My science grades:

Bio 1/2: A Chem 1/2: A/B Orgo 1/2: C+/ (projected B)
Developmental Biology: A-, Genetics: B+, Human Physiology (Honors College): A-, Molecular Biology: A, Into to stats: A+, Math 3339 Stats: A, Physics I/II B-/A (projected)

Calculus: C (dropped the course by accident, by the time it was reinstated, I missed a lot of assignments and almost missed an exam, however it was my fault and I take it as a turning point in my first senior semester)

Other than another C+ in intro to fiction and a B in ethics, I have had A's for the rest of the classes.

I am from Southeast Asia, so I guess not a URM. Texas Resident. Considering both DO and MD schools.

What do you think my chances are?
32+ for MD and 25+ for DO....

Reactions: 1 user
How are you only taking orgo 2 as a senior?

Anyway, the working part is relevant, highlight it appropriately in the app.

With a 33 MCAT, I'd apply both MD and DO. With a 30MCAT and 3.4sGPA I'd apply low tier-MD early.

You're fine for DO with anything above a 26+ for the MCAT.

Definition of 'fine': you'll get interview(s), then how you fair is up to you :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm aiming for a 33+ hopefully, let's see how that works out. I don't have a problem with the material, I just have a hard time keeping up with assignments, I'm pretty disorganized at keeping up with due dates I guess.

How are you only taking orgo 2 as a senior?

Anyway, the working part is relevant, highlight it appropriately in the app.

With a 33 MCAT, I'd apply both MD and DO. With a 30MCAT and 3.4sGPA I'd apply low tier-MD early.

You're fine for DO with anything above a 26+ for the MCAT.

Definition of 'fine': you'll get interview(s), then how you fair is up to you :)

I found an open orgo class pretty late, primarily due to the fact that I always sign up late because I have to pay off my semester's tuition before I can sign up for the next one. Also because the chemistry professors at my university have super low ratings, except for maybe two, and their classes are hard to get hold of.

Thanks! I'm really hoping for a 33+, let's see how that goes.

Just an update, will also be adding Research experience as I have an interview this Thursday at a Micro-RNA research lab. Fingers crossed!

Quick question guys; being a Texas resident, what are my chances at UT Galveston or UT Houston for an MD program? Or any other Texas MD program?

Thanks

Last edited:
I think chances are decent for any low-tier or new MD school, and any DO program, including mine. Everything will depend upon MCAT, naturally.

Hi Goro, thanks for your reply (and I apologize for my increasingly late reply)

These are my stats without retakes. I just learned about the AACOMAS retake policy; with the retakes I'm looking at a 3.78cgpa/3.6sgpa and I'm really leaning more towards DO schools. Does GPA get more competitive for DO's, given the retake policy?

Thanks

Just an update, will also be adding Research experience as I have an interview this Thursday at a Micro-RNA research lab. Fingers crossed!

Quick question guys; being a Texas resident, what are my chances at UT Galveston or UT Houston for an MD program? Or any other Texas MD program?

Thanks

I honestly think that if you apply early, and to all texas schools, you will land several interviews IF you get a 30+. I do not think you will have a problem at all with TCOM as long as you get 27+. I would apply to all texas schools except baylor. Chances at UT Houston and UTSW are slim with your sGPA, but for the low cost to add extra schools on TMDSAS, I would apply anyway

I honestly think that if you apply early, and to all texas schools, you will land several interviews IF you get a 30+. I do not think you will have a problem at all with TCOM as long as you get 27+. I would apply to all texas schools except baylor. Chances at UT Houston and UTSW are slim with your sGPA, but for the low cost to add extra schools on TMDSAS, I would apply anyway

Thank you for your advice, I plan on applying to all TX schools for sure

You're welcome. When do you take the MCAT?

I plan on taking it either August 15, 2014, or January 08, 2015. I will try my best to aim for Aug 15, but if I feel i'm not ready, then Jan 2015 for sure

I plan on taking it either August 15, 2014, or January 08, 2015. I will try my best to aim for Aug 15, but if I feel i'm not ready, then Jan 2015 for sure

oh so you will apply next cycle?

oh so you will apply next cycle?

Yes next cycle. Also I'm at 108 hours right now, with my major + minor I will graduate at about 145 hours, looking to graduate in Fall 2015.