MD & DO 3.65 cGPA, 3.54 sGPA, 35 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nm825

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Connecticut resident
3.66 cGPA 3.54 sGPA (3.43 for DO schools)
13/11/11= 35 MCAT

-100 hours of clinical research in an ER as part of a class
-100 hours of shadowing physicians (ER DO, Orthopedic Surgeon DO, Podiatrist)
~200 hours of volunteer EMT work since January
-I work as a substitute teacher currently
-I've worked for a local police department enforcing town ordinances the past four summers and got a solid LOR from it
-Various leadership positions throughout college (fraternity and junior year dorm)

-Solid LOR from work, solid LOR from Economics professor, ok LOR from chemistry. I don't know how my overall committee letter went. It was a very difficult interview for me, but I'm hoping my solid LORs from people who know me will outweigh some silly committee evaluation. DO Letter as well

I've made threads before on here, but I just got my verified app back, and my sGPA was better than expected, so I'd like to see if this changes things at all

GWU
Albany Medical College
Albert Einstein
Creighton
Drexel
Eastern Virginia
Georgetown
Hofstra
USC
Loyola
Medical College of Wisconsin
NYMC
Penn State
Quinnipiac
Rosalind Franklin
Rush
Temple
Commonwealth MC
Miami
Vermont
Uconn
Virginia Tech
VCU
Wake Forest

Just verified today, but I hope to have all secondaries submitted by August 7

CCOM
Touro-NY
PCOM
UNECOM
KCUMB
Nova

What do you think my chances are of getting in somewhere? I've already had a year off since college, and I cannot wait another year. If I don't get in anywhere by December, I'm going to send in application to podiatry schools as I've shadowed a DPM before and found it interesting.

Members don't see this ad.

@nm825 Solid stats with solid ECs, and most importantly good M.D. school list... I don't think you need to apply to DO at all unless you have some genuine interest in DO. You should get multiple M.D. interview invites...

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You do not need to apply to DPM schools. You are underestimating the strength of your credentials. A MCAT of 35 places you in approximately the 90th percentile for applicants to MD school and even higher for DO schools. Plus the schools you applied to for MD are all appropriate for your credentials. Just submit your secondaries by the end of August. I think you should apply to the DO schools and you should receive interviews from some of those you applied to.

Will my chances be significantly hampered at the DO schools if I apply to them at the end of August when I get my DO letter?

Will my chances be significantly hampered at the DO schools if I apply to them at the end of August when I get my DO letter?

Absolutely not. Your scores are outstanding and you have experience shadowing a couple DOs. I got in with a 3.6 and a 27 mcat so you beat me by quite a bit. Unless you are legitimately interested in being a DO, I think you could save yourself a lot of time and money by just focusing on the MD programs.

Does anyone have any suggestions on schools I should add? Someone told me that all the schools I've applied to get way too many applications and that I should add some more. Should I add like some more of the NY state schools even though I'm a CT resident? Mind you, I probably won't be able to get those secondaries in until the last third of august.

Would adding Ohio State, Iowa, and Toledo be good? All seem to be OOS friendly kind-of.

Last edited:
I have a 34/3.9 and my list is pretty similar to yours! Two schools I noticed off of the top of my head that I had extra were Tulane and St. Louis. Both relatively OOS friendly.

Does anyone think I need to add any more DO schools, or am I good with 6? I know my ECs don't really measure up to SDN standards, but it's critically important I get in somewhere (be MD or DO) this cycle, and I don't know if I will be able to spend another year just kind-of wasting away.

Does anyone think I need to add any more DO schools, or am I good with 6? I know my ECs don't really measure up to SDN standards, but it's critically important I get in somewhere (be MD or DO) this cycle, and I don't know if I will be able to spend another year just kind-of wasting away.
You are fine.