MD 3.65 cGPA, 3.55 sGPA - Need Advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hi everyone, I am a recent graduate who will be applying this cycle! I would really appreciate your help in selecting schools to apply to.

GPA:
3.65 cGPA, 3.55 sGPA (Last 5 semesters 3.9 cGPA/3.85 sGPA)
MCAT: 523 (131/128/132/132)
Undergrad: Top 10
Residency: Georgia
Biography: Asian male, low income household
Research: Standard w/ senior thesis and graduation with distinction
Clinical: ~260 hours of volunteering + 50 hours of shadowing (more during gap year)
Misc Volunteering: ~300 hours
ECs: Sport, 6 semesters as TA, couple "unique" things

Initial List (Pre-MCAT):
Medical College of Georgia
Mercer
Emory
Drexel
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Georgetown
Loyola
Ohio State
Quinnipiac
Temple
Tulane
Tufts
Virginia Commonwealth
Wake Forest

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
You have a very good list and should receive several interviews as long as your MCAT is at least 512. Post your score here when available.

Can't say anything without a real MCAT score but if in fact you do get around a 523 on the real deal( and the scores FL is a very solid predictor) your going to have to re do a good bit of your OOS list and replace many of these with higher stat options

Members don't see this ad :)
Can't say anything without a real MCAT score but if in fact you do get around a 523 on the real deal( and the scores FL is a very solid predictor) your going to have to re do a good bit of your OOS list and replace many of these with higher stat options

Bump. My scores just came out! I ended up with a 523. Funny how that practice score works. Haha. Would you be able to help me update my list?

With that MCAT you can add schools such as:
Duke
Miami
Vanderbilt
U Virginia
Boston University
Mount Sinai
Einstein
NYU
Case Western
Pitt
Northwestern

With that MCAT you can add schools such as:
Duke
Miami
Vanderbilt
U Virginia
Boston University
Mount Sinai
Einstein
NYU
Case Western
Pitt
Northwestern

Thank you so much! Should I remove any of the schools from my original list?

Thank you so much! Should I remove any of the schools from my original list?

Me personally I would remove every OOS school from your list above except Ohio St and maybe depending on preference Loyola Wake Tufts and Tulane

You need more high stat schools(ie Pitt CWRU Keck etc) not lower stat ones. Higher stat ones are the higher yield ones for you even if it sounds counter intuitive.

Last edited:
This is my updated list. @Goro , I would love your feedback on balancing my low GPA with my MCAT.

In State:

Emory
Medical College of GA
Mercer

OOS:
Albert Einstein
Boston University
Case Western
Dartmouth
Duke
Georgetown
Hofstra
Miami
Mount Sinai
Northwestern
Ohio State
Pitt
Rochester
UVA

I suggest being more conservative and deleting Sinai, OSU, Northwestern and Pitt.

Add Keck, Vandy (yes, Vandy), Jefferson, Tulane, GWU, Loyola, and MCW. Maybe try Columbia.
This is my updated list. @Goro , I would love your feedback on balancing my low GPA with my MCAT.

In State:

Emory
Medical College of GA
Mercer

OOS:
Albert Einstein
Boston University
Case Western
Dartmouth
Duke
Georgetown
Hofstra
Miami
Mount Sinai
Northwestern
Ohio State
Pitt
Rochester
UVA

Me personally I would remove every OOS school from your list above except Ohio St and maybe depending on preference Loyola Wake Tufts and Tulane

You need more high stat schools(ie Pitt CWRU Keck etc) not lower stat ones. Higher stat ones are the higher yield ones for you even if it sounds counter intuitive.

I suggest being more conservative and deleting Sinai, OSU, Northwestern and Pitt.

Add Keck, Vandy (yes, Vandy), Jefferson, Tulane, GWU, Loyola, and MCW. Maybe try Columbia.

Thank you both! I will try my best to find the right balance.

Goro, OSU seems to be a better fit GPA wise than Vandy according to MSAR. Should I be considering other factors here?

Current List
Albert Einstein
Boston
Case Western
Columbia
Dartmouth
Duke
Emory
Georgetown
GWU
Hofstra
Jefferson
Keck
Loyola
MCG
Mercer
Miami
Northwestern
Pitt
Sinai
Tulane
UVA

Maybe add:
Rochester
NYU
Vanderbilt
OSU
MCW

Last edited by a moderator:
But OSU favors the home team. You have to be >avg for state schools if from OOS.

Goro, OSU seems to be a better fit GPA wise than Vandy according to MSAR. Should I be considering other factors here?

Current List
Albert Einstein
Boston
Case Western
Columbia
Dartmouth
Duke
Emory
Georgetown
GWU
Hofstra
Jefferson
Keck
Loyola
MCG
Mercer
Miami
Northwestern
Pitt
Sinai
Tulane
UVA

Might be OK
Rochester
NYU
Vanderbilt
MCW

But OSU favors the home team. You have to be >avg for state schools if from OOS.

Current List
Albert Einstein
Boston
Case Western
Columbia
Dartmouth
Duke
Emory
Georgetown
GWU
Hofstra
Jefferson
Keck
Loyola
MCG
Mercer
Miami
Northwestern
Pitt
Sinai
Tulane
UVA

Might be OK
Rochester
NYU
Vanderbilt
MCW

Ah I understand.

I feel pretty good about those 25 schools! Thank you all sooo much for your help. I will post an update here in the future.

Reactions: 1 user