3.65 cGPA, 3.6 sGPA, 28 MCAT, 4.0 Masters GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BARON7

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are my chances at an MD school with these stats and what schools should I apply to/have a shot at? The Masters is in Physiology.
EC:
200 Hours clinical volunteering
3 years research
1 publication
little shadowing experience

Members don't see this ad.

You have a fairly good shot at mid-low tier MD schools (assuming you have good essays and a convincing personal statement). Some schools you may have a shot at (there are probably a few I'm missing):

-RFUMS/Chicago Medical School
-New York Medical College
-SLU
-Wayne State
-VCU
-Creighton

I forgot to mention I had 2 years teaching experience. Also, how much, if any, does the Masters degree affect my chances?

Members don't see this ad :)
The master's definitely doesn't hurt, it's a nice bonus considering it was in a science related field. This will make the adcoms more confident about your GPA. Your MCAT still resides on the low end of the spectrum for most schools so that will probably be your biggest issue.. how is the spread on your MCAT (aka everything 9 or above or do you got some lower subscores?). Apply to as many schools as you can find that have your stats in their ranges, apply early, return secondaries fast and be pro-active pre and post interview and you could see some bites.

I know that will be my biggest problem. the spread was P:8, B:10, V:10. Mainly applying to schools in my range, and ready to submit the app so I'm ready to submit early.

what state are you from, I recently got into UMASS with a 28MCAT and 3.5 cGPA, also apply widely to DO schools if that interests you at all.

California, which makes things difficult.

You have a fairly good shot at mid-low tier MD schools (assuming you have good essays and a convincing personal statement). Some schools you may have a shot at (there are probably a few I'm missing):

-RFUMS/Chicago Medical School
-New York Medical College
-SLU
-Wayne State
-VCU
-Creighton

SLU isn't a lower-mid tier school. Don't let the 10th percentile (27) MCAT fool you. SLU undergraduate has a program (medical scholars) where students who maintain >3.5sGPA have an automatic admit to SLUSOM (School of Medicine). These students need to sit for the MCAT, but their score does not matter so long as their GPA is >3.5 and they are part of the med scholars program. So many of them score in the mid to low 20s because they don't study for it at all.

I did some research with an MD/PhD there who is also on the ADCOM and he said that 2010s entering class had a median MCAT of ~31 if you excluded the med scholars.

Do you think the other schools listed are within my range?