3.65 cGPA and 3.51 science GPA, what are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medschoolSH2012

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I'm a Biochemistry major w/ a psych minor
My GPA is a 3.65 and my Science is just a 3.51,
I have not taken the MCAT yet but plan to do so in July. I'm hoping to get a 30+

As far as my EC:
I am a volunteer in the ER of a hospital
I have done research with a professor at school for about a year and a half
I have done side research with another professor for a semester and Have started this past January working on a research project with a Doctor at the hospital I volunteer at.
I have shadowed a Pediatrician for two summers
I am part of two honor societies at my undergraduate institution, and am an active Sunday School teacher and choir director& assistant organist for my church choir.
I am also a General chemistry tutor – 2 years and have worked as a math tutor as well

My Grades for my Science Classes:
General Bio 1: A
General Bio 2: B-
General Chem 1: A
- Lab: A
General Chem 2: B
-Lab: A
Genetics: B+
Cell Bio: B
Orgo1: B
-lab: A
Orgo 2: B+
Physics 1: A
Physics 2: A
Calc 1: B
Calc2: A
Biochemistry: A
Immunology: A-
Human Neuropsych: A-

Members don't see this ad.

These grades mean absolutely nothing. It depends on the school. Are they known for inflating grades? Your other extracurricular experiences look good though.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think the school is known for grade inflation.
If I was to receive a 30+ on the mcats in July would this list of possible medical schools to apply to, sound reasonable??

Wayne State School of Medicine
Oakland School of Medicine
UMDNJ (Newark)
UMDNJ (Robert Wood Johnson)
Jefferson
University of Maryland
NY medical college
University of buffalo school of medicine
Tufts
Commonwealth
Drexel
Temple
Penn State
George Washington University
University of Pennsylvania (reach)

Plus if I have all my applications in by the first week of July, my MCAT scores will not get released till August 30th. Will this set me back?

Plus if I have all my applications in by the first week of July, my MCAT scores will not get released till August 30th. Will this set me back?
Yes, your chances would be diminished due to the decrease in number of interview spots still available by the time you have your Secondaries all submitted..

would it be wise to send in my primaries and secondaries without my MCAT Score? So that the only thing left for admissions to review would be my score which they'd receive August 30th?

would it be wise to send in my primaries and secondaries without my MCAT Score? So that the only thing left for admissions to review would be my score which they'd receive August 30th?
It could be a huge waste of money to send in expensive Secondary fees not knowing your score and whether you are competitive for a given school. But if your application dollars are unlimited, then go for it. Schools need those application fees as a major source of income.

Keep in mind, some schools won't extend an invitation to submit a Secondary until your primary application is complete (because they screen first). But you can prewrite those Secondary essays from prompts you'll find here on SDN to decrease turn-around time.

It could be a huge waste of money to send in expensive Secondary fees not knowing your score and whether you are competitive for a given school. But if your application dollars are unlimited, then go for it. Schools need those application fees as a major source of income.

Keep in mind, some schools won't extend an invitation to submit a Secondary until your primary application is complete (because they screen first). But you can prewrite those Secondary essays from prompts you'll find here on SDN to decrease turn-around time.

Thank you so much for your advice. I really appreciate it. Im spending all my time and energy in studying for the MCATS right now and getting my LOR's in as well. I guess I'll go from there as far as what to do next. I just hope my GPA isn't too low for this cycle.

Your cGPA is right at the average for those accepted of 3.67. Your BCPM is somewhat lower than the average of 3.61. So work at getting more As in upper-level science next year and let schools know about it if you proceed with applying, as update letters have the potential to sway adcomm opinion positively if they are on the cusp about your application.

As always, keep an eye toward the possiblity of reapplying the following season and continue to improve your application through the year.