3.65 cum, 3.49 sci, 27 MCAT please help!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

timtebowner

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am a Florida resident with a 3.65 cum, 3.49 sci and a really disappointing 27 MCAT (P:7, V:11, B:9). I was averaging about 30 on my practices, and I was sick to stomach to see that. Anyway, here are my ECs:

-co-captain of my varsity tennis team (Division 3, in an incredibly difficult conference)
-treasurer of my national fraternity this year and fundraising chair last year
-160 hours shadowing a D.O. (and a letter of rec from him)
-20 hours with a different D.O.
-60 hours working as a counselor at a tennis camp for two weeks one summer
-Neuroscience research for one year
-Backpacking in Europe for three weeks

I am applying to the following MD schools:
1) University of Florida
2) University of Central Florida
3) University of South Florida
4) University of Miami
5) Florida International University
6) Florida Atlantic University
7) Florida State University
8) Temple University
9) Drexel University
10) Rush Medical School
11) George Washington
12) Rosalind Franklin

I sent primaries into these schools, but have not completed any secondaries yet. Do you think I should bother sending secondaries to them with my low MCAT score?

Also, these are the D.O. schools I applied to:
1) Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine
2) New York Institute of Technology COM
3) LECOM- Bradenton (FL)
4) Nova Southeastern COM (FL)

With my MCAT score, should I add more D.O. schools to my list?

Thanks for all the help! It is greatly appreciated!

P.S. I hated the MCAT with a passion. Although a retake is not out of the realm of possibility, I don't know if I would take it again at this point.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

I am a Florida resident with a 3.65 cum, 3.49 sci and a really disappointing 27 MCAT (P:7, V:11, B:9). I was averaging about 30 on my practices, and I was sick to stomach to see that. Anyway, here are my ECs:

-co-captain of my varsity tennis team (Division 3, in an incredibly difficult conference)
-treasurer of my national fraternity this year and fundraising chair last year
-160 hours shadowing a D.O. (and a letter of rec from him)
-20 hours with a different D.O.
-60 hours working as a counselor at a tennis camp for two weeks one summer
-Neuroscience research for one year
-Backpacking in Europe for three weeks

I am applying to the following MD schools:
1) University of Florida
2) University of Central Florida
3) University of South Florida
4) University of Miami
5) Florida International University
6) Florida Atlantic University
7) Florida State University
8) Temple University
9) Drexel University
10) Rush Medical School
11) George Washington
12) Rosalind Franklin

I sent primaries into these schools, but have not completed any secondaries yet. Do you think I should bother sending secondaries to them with my low MCAT score?

Also, these are the D.O. schools I applied to:
1) Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine
2) New York Institute of Technology COM
3) LECOM- Bradenton (FL)
4) Nova Southeastern COM (FL)

With my MCAT score, should I add more D.O. schools to my list?

Thanks for all the help! It is greatly appreciated!

P.S. I hated the MCAT with a passion. Although a retake is not out of the realm of possibility, I don't know if I would take it again at this point.

It depends on if the schools pre-screen or not. With your MCAT score though I would focus on DO programs right now. It doesn't hurt to add a few more if you can afford it. Just look into some DO schools you would be happy to attend if the MD cycle does not pan out how you wanted it to. You also have a DO LOR which really helps.

Does not mean you should give up on MD though. You already paid the money so might as well ride it out and see how it goes. If you did not apply exceedingly early it could just be that they have not got to you yet. Many schools do not pre-screen so you should expect at least a few secondary applications. The issue is explaining the MCAT score though. 27 is well below the 10th percentile for many schools so be prepared. Many of the 10th percentiles in one category (MCAT for instance) are students thaat are a URM or have a 4.0 with exceedingly amazing EC.

Good Luck and I wish the best for you!

Thanks!

Anyone else with any advice? Goro?

You should focus your effort more on DO since your mcat is way below MD average... You should add more DO schools to your list... However, as a FL resident, I think you have a good shot at FIU. I know few people who got into FIU with stats like yours...