3.65 gpa 32 mcat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IntelInside

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know I have good stats (3.65 GPA and 32O MCAT), Chemistry major . I have really good LORs, my extracurriculars include:

1) international volunteer work in the dominican republic for a month building ecological villages and teaching english
2) volunteer work at a local hospital in the CCU and ICU for 1 year
3) Tutoring Biology for a year
4) Working two Jobs at the same time
5) Toshiba National Science award in high school
6) Award from my chemistry department in college for excellence in the physical sciences

I am sending in my 2ndaries tomorrow because I wanted to make sure I scored well. I am worried about getting in because I am sending in my secondaries now. What do u guys think? Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

You're definitely on the late-ish side, but I think you'll probably be okay. Apply broadly, and make sure you have a bunch of less-selective schools on your list. Good luck!

You're definitely on the late-ish side, but I think you'll probably be okay. Apply broadly, and make sure you have a bunch of less-selective schools on your list. Good luck!

Here are the schools I'm applying to:

1) Albany Medical College
2) Albert Einstein
3) SUNY Upstate
4) SUNY Stony Brook
5) SUNY Downstate
6) NYMC
7) U. Buffalo
8) U. Rochester
9) Mt. Sinai
10) Columbia
11) U. Vermont
12) U. Conneticut
13) U. Maryland
14) Temple
15) Jefferson
16) Penn State
17) Drexel
18) Tulane
19) Boston University
20) George Washington
21) Georgetown
22) Michigan State

Oh and I'm a NY State resident....so what do u guys think now that you see it

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
It's a realistic fear that you won't do as well when you apply later in the cycle, even with your solid numbers. I assume you're already verified, but even so you'll be more likely to get attention from less-selective schools on your list than from those in the niche you fit best in. You didn't mention a research experience and there are a number of schools on your list that would prefer to see that listed. Leadership is another experience that it's desirable to have

Of course you have a chance at an acceptance somewhere, as you have a number of suitable schools on your list, but I'd suggest you live your life as if you know you'll be reapplying next year. Don't let your clinical experience and community service lapse. Consider a research experience if you don't have one. And get in some leadership. Include this information in future update letters to your schools in the hope that it will sway their adcomms in your favor.

I think that's a very solid list. Be aggressive with your update and interest/intent letters, and you'll probably be all right.

Lining up some clinical and/or research experience is definitely a good plan, though. You can never be too cautious with this crazy process.

IntelInside, I'm about in the same boat you are (take a look at my profile). I submitted most of my secondaries about two weeks ago so a little bit ahead. I haven't gotten any interviews yet but one rejection....

I think we will be fine still... interviews in nov/dec/jan/feb from what I've heard on this forum can still turn into acceptances.

Good luck

IntelInside, I'm about in the same boat you are (take a look at my profile). I submitted most of my secondaries about two weeks ago so a little bit ahead. I haven't gotten any interviews yet but one rejection....

I think we will be fine still... interviews in nov/dec/jan/feb from what I've heard on this forum can still turn into acceptances.

Good luck

what is the link to your mdapplicants profile

Just created an md application page as well :)

I am undertaking research this semester as well with one of my old biology professors but I have sent in my secondaries. How and when do I go about sending letters of update to these schools

Last edited:
Here are the schools I'm applying to:

1) Albany Medical College
2) Albert Einstein
3) SUNY Upstate
4) SUNY Stony Brook
5) SUNY Downstate
6) NYMC
7) U. Buffalo
8) U. Rochester
9) Mt. Sinai
10) Columbia
11) U. Vermont
12) U. Conneticut
13) U. Maryland
14) Temple
15) Jefferson
16) Penn State
17) Drexel
18) Tulane
19) Boston University
20) George Washington
21) Georgetown
22) Michigan State

Oh and I'm a NY State resident....so what do u guys think now that you see it

Thats a great list, but if $ is a factor, I may take these schools off/reconsider:
Mt. Sinai
Colombia
U Conn (not very OOS friendly)
BU

and look at these:
SLU
TCMC (If you're into rural)
Loyola
Rush

yea I added RUSH and Loyola I sent those secondaries out on Thursday