3.65 GPA 507 MCAT. Refine my list!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

littlefry

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Year in school: Graduated with B.S. Biology with Chemistry and Studio Art Minors

Country/state of residence: NY

Cumulative GPA: 3.65 (upward trend, last 3 semesters were 4.0)

Science GPA: 3.5 (I think! or higher..)

MCAT Scores: 507 (126/127/125/129)

Research – include any abstracts/posters/publications and how you were credited (eg. First author, senior author, etc) - Research thesis for undergraduate degree, research symposium poster - Research through SULI program at Brookhaven National lab 400 hours- yielded a first authorship on a publication. - Worked in a Pathology Lab via unpaid internship for 93 hours doing urine cytology, grossing assistance, clerical duties

Volunteering (clinical) – include hours/sites: -100 Hours at Stony Brook University Hospital Nursing floor over two years ~4 hours each visit for 25 weeks

Physician shadowing – include hours/specialties -Family Physician for 108 hours over a year

Non-clinical volunteering -83 hours at school-run blood drives as secretary and vice president of biology clubs over 3 years
-170 hours as president and founder of chess club on campus fundraising for Chess in the Schools

Extracurricular activities -Professional Makeup Artist for 5 years
-Singing- event coordinator for female Acapella group for 2 years
-Played clarinet and piano for 8 and 4 years respectively

Employment history -
-Worked as Sports Medicine Aide 278 hours patient contact over 2 years
- Biology TA at college for 350 hours over 2 year
- Employed as a professional makeup artist at M.A.C. Cosmetics for 5 years
- Catering server for 5 years

Immediate family members in medicine? (y/n) No, and I am a first generation college student (my parent's highest form of education is a high school diploma)

Specialty of interest: Emergency Medicine

Graduate degrees: None

@gyngyn @Goro @Catalystik Would value your insight greatly!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Here's a more realistic list (save your reach money and take your dad out to dinner this Father's Day.

Temple
Jefferson
Drexel
Quinnipiac
WVU
Rosy Franklin
MCW
SLU
Creighton
Loma Linda (but read their list of don'ts)
Albany
NYMC
VCU
U VM
EVMS
Oakland-B
Rush (note: very service/experience oriented with a 150hr service requirement. Avg student has 800 hours of community service, and >1800 hours of health care exposure.)
Netter
ALL SUNYs

Any DO school, starting with UNECOM, Touro-NY, PCOM, LECOM

@Goro

Do you feel that with my stats I do not have the luxury of remaining in the tri state area/ North East? SLU, Creighton, VCU, UVM, Oakland are all pretty far out for me.

Our overlap sits at:
Drexel
Quinnipiac
Albany
NYMC
SUNYS

No Hofstra or Stony Brook? A lot of my volunteer and work and shadowing experiences have been in direct relation to Stony Brook. It is my first choice.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Stony Brook is part of the SUNY system, the last time I looked.
Hofstra? There are a lot of smart Jews on Long Island; I should know, because I went to school with their parents. Hence, my conservatism for Hofstra and it's median 34 MCAT score. You're close to ~5 points below their median; below their 10th% ile in fact.

@Goro

Do you feel that with my stats I do not have the luxury of remaining in the tri state area/ North East? SLU, Creighton, VCU, UVM, Oakland are all pretty far out for me.

Our overlap sits at:
Drexel
Quinnipiac
Albany
NYMC
SUNYS

No Hofstra or Stony Brook? A lot of my volunteer and work and shadowing experiences have been in direct relation to Stony Brook. It is my first choice.

Ouch for Hofstra. And yes forgot that Stony Brook was under the SUNY umbrella for a moment. Thank you.

@Goro If I go with your list, I'm looking at ~8 schools, which is sparse. I'd rather shell out the money to apply broadly if you think there's at least a chance. There are no more I should apply to from the list I provided?
Rowan? Rutgers? Tufts? I feel I have a very strong personal statement coming from art school, and subsequently saving my brother's life from a heroin overdose etc. personal anecdotes to demonstrate a fortified passion for medicine.

Last edited:
@gyngyn You've been so helpful it only feels natural to ask you what to knock off. Thank you in advance for any input you have time for!

@gyngyn

Ah, it looks like something got unnecessarily deleted in an edit. Here you go. NE region is a priority for me.

1- Albany Medical School (NY)
2- Columbia University (I know it's incredibly farfetched with my stats, but with my strong art background I am considering trying) (NY)
3- Cooper Medical School at Rowan University (NJ) **
4- Drexel University College of Medicine (PA)
5- Hofstra Northwell School of Medicine at Hofstra University (NY)**
6- SUNY Jacobs School of Medicine at Buffalo (NY)
7- Lewis Katz at Temple University (PA)
8- New York Medical College (NY) **
9- Pennsylvania State University (PA)
10- Quinnipiac University (CT)
11- Rutgers University (NJ)
12- SUNY Downstate (NY) **
13- SUNY Stony Brook University (NY)**
14- SUNY Upstate (NY)
15- The Commonwealth Medical College (PA)
16- Tufts University School of Medicine (MA)
17- UConn School of Medicine (CT)

Also read a new CUNY Medical School Just opened up but I don't see it in AMCAS?

D.O. Programs

1- Touro School of Osteopathic Medicine (Manhattan Harlem and Middletown)
2- NYIT School of Osteopathic Medicine (LI)
3- Rowan School of Osteopathic Medicine (NJ)
4- Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine (PCOM) (PA)
5- Lake Erie?

@gyngyn Which should I remove? Tufts due to volume?
Keep Tufts. You are knocking on their 10th percentile, though...
I still don't see Rutgers taking OOS yet.
CUNY is for Sophie Davis from what I can tell.
U Conn only matriculated 9 OOS regular MD!
Hofstra is very MCAT focused.
You are the only one who knows how to feel about your donation to Columbia.

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem is that your MCAT score is not all that competitive. Not lethal, but you're below the median to a degree where I am conservative in my recommendations.

The NJ schools heavily favor IS.

Everybody thinks that their PS is the magic door into med school. It's not. Stats get you tot he door; ECs get you through.

You're fine for Penn State, but I refuse to recommend a school whose parent organization protected a child molester for > 20 years.

TCMC heavily favors people from the Scranton area

@Goro If I go with your list, I'm looking at ~8 schools, which is sparse. I'd rather shell out the money to apply broadly if you think there's at least a chance. There are no more I should apply to from the list I provided?
Rowan? Rutgers? Tufts? I feel I have a very strong personal statement coming from art school, and subsequently saving my brother's life from a heroin overdose etc. personal anecdotes to demonstrate a fortified passion for medicine.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The problem is that your MCAT score is not all that competitive. Not lethal, but you're below the median to a degree where I am conservative in my recommendations.

The NJ schools heavily favor IS.

Everybody thinks that their PS is the magic door into med school. It's not. Stats get you tot he door; ECs get you through.

You're fine for Penn State, but I refuse to recommend a school whose parent organization protected a child molester for > 20 years.

TCMC heavily favors people from the Scranton area

The frustrating part is that I know I could've done much better. Unfortunately, I was going through some personal events at home, but did not want to postpone. The person I was studying with and scoring similarly to earned a 514. But I also don't want to risk re-testing as I've heard that a second score, especially should it not be significantly be better, is almost worse than my 507. Thus, I'm giving this cycle my best shot. Thank you for your advice!

I have a committee letter, and have also attached a letter from a scientist I did research with that I felt came to know me very well and could speak clearly on my behalf. I am thinking of withholding that letter from DO schools because many of them are primary care based and I don't know if a recommendation from someone I conducted research under would reflect badly? Or should I just include it because he likely speaks to my character?

Last edited:
Also bummed to hear that about Penn State... How disturbing.

Maybe I'm needing to keep Lake Erie DO, just incase then.

teaching moment: when one is faced with life events, and still decides to carry on with a high stakes, career deciding exam, it says something negative about your choice making, and I have Adcom colleagues who would reject you outright for that alone!

Unfortunately, I was going through some personal events at home, but did not want to postpone.

Just because DO schools have a Primary care mission doesn't mean that they are adverse to interests outside Primary Care, nor research. My own school has a PC mission and a thriving research program.

I have a committee letter, and have also attached a letter from a scientist I did research with that I felt came to know me very well and could speak clearly on my behalf. I am thinking of withholding that letter from DO schools because many of them are primary care based and I don't know if a recommendation from someone I conducted research under would reflect badly? Or should I just include it because he likely speaks to my character?[/QUOTE]

The severity of my personal events is debatable/relative, and I used my discretion in deciding to proceed. I was still able to maintain focus. As far as particular events generally disrupting rhythm- that's life. Things come up unexpectedly, and as a physician I won't always be able to have the luxury of skipping work on bad days and choosing to practice on the good, so I'm going to respectfully disagree with you there, @Goro.

Last edited:
@gyngyn Hi gyngyn! Quick question for you, if you don't mind: If I completed 5 full years of undergraduate coursework due to my major change, but in the fall semester of my 5th year I was part time while writing my thesis and taking a 400 level course- Do you feel I should I address this in my secondaries should I receive a prompt about "inconsistencies" in my undergraduate education? At this time, I moved in to help care for my grandmother with Alzheimer's and was beginning to look at studying for MCAT, and I had already fulfilled credits far beyond my degree requirements. Does this qualify as an inconsistency or is it negligible?

@gyngyn Hi gyngyn! Quick question for you, if you don't mind: If I completed 5 full years of undergraduate coursework due to my major change, but in the fall semester of my 5th year I was part time while writing my thesis and taking a 400 level course- Do you feel I should I address this in my secondaries should I receive a prompt about "inconsistencies" in my undergraduate education? At this time, I moved in to help care for my grandmother with Alzheimer's and was beginning to look at studying for MCAT, and I had already fulfilled credits far beyond my degree requirements. Does this qualify as an inconsistency or is it negligible?
Sure, if they ask.

@gyngyn Submission paranoia is setting in.... If I submitted a letter from an employer, a non science professor, a research supervisor, and had two of my science professors who were also on the board of the Health Professions Committee write my committee letter, but they did not attach the letters separately in a packet form, would you encourage me to pursue attaching each letter separately? They composed a single letter from these letters. I sent only the committee letter, and separately attached the letter from my research supervisor. Should I seek to have the employer, non science professor and maybe an MD submit separate letters, or is the singular committee letter and the research supervisor letter sufficient?

@gyngyn Submission paranoia is setting in.... If I submitted a letter from an employer, a non science professor, a research supervisor, and had two of my science professors who were also on the board of the Health Professions Committee write my committee letter, but they did not attach the letters separately in a packet form, would you encourage me to pursue attaching each letter separately? They composed a single letter from these letters. I sent only the committee letter, and separately attached the letter from my research supervisor. Should I seek to have the employer, non science professor and maybe an MD submit separate letters, or is the singular committee letter and the research supervisor letter sufficient?
A committee letter is always sufficient.

@gyngyn If I may ask your opinion kindly: My top choice has an essay for describing an obstacle I overcame. I chose to write about graduating high school a year early at age 16 and moving to Brooklyn independently for art school from a rural environment... but now I'm feeling like that is a weaker less unique topic. However, my other options weren't really "obstacles" I overcame and I felt this topic shows a lot about my character and how I acclimate to new settings. What is your opinion of this topic?

My other challenges are rather singular or indirect i.e. my mother's breast cancer, brother's heroin addiction, and grandmother's Alzheimer's

@gyngyn If I may ask your opinion kindly: My top choice has an essay for describing an obstacle I overcame. I chose to write about graduating high school a year early at age 16 and moving to Brooklyn independently for art school from a rural environment... but now I'm feeling like that is a weaker less unique topic. However, my other options weren't really "obstacles" I overcame and I felt this topic shows a lot about my character and how I acclimate to new settings. What is your opinion of this topic?

My other challenges are rather singular or indirect i.e. my mother's breast cancer, brother's heroin addiction, and grandmother's Alzheimer's
Your topic actually sounds rich with promise.

Both of your opinions are genuinely appreciated, thank you for your feedback and insight.

Do you also both feel that if my specialty of interest is currently emergency medicine, but I am drawn to a school that has an emphasis on primary care, that I still have a chance of getting in? The statistics of Quinnipiac are right in my range for matriculants last year 3.6/29.5 and Dr. Frank H Netter, their namesake, was actually an artist first (similar to myself) so I touched on that parallel. You think that is strong enough to compensate for not fulfilling a primary care mission? I'm not 100% set on emergency care, but I am drawn to it based on personal experience. @Goro @gyngyn.

Both of your opinions are genuinely appreciated, thank you for your feedback and insight.

Do you also both feel that if my specialty of interest is currently emergency medicine, but I am drawn to a school that has an emphasis on primary care, that I still have a chance of getting in? The statistics of Quinnipiac are right in my range for matriculants last year 3.6/29.5 and Dr. Frank H Netter, their namesake, was actually an artist first (similar to myself) so I touched on that parallel. You think that is strong enough to compensate for not fulfilling a primary care mission? I'm not 100% set on emergency care, but I am drawn to it based on personal experience. @Goro @gyngyn.
An interest in EM is fine. I don't see any reason to emphasize it in the primary, though. For all you know, primary care may be of greater interest to you later.

An interest in EM is fine. I don't see any reason to emphasize it in the primary, though. For all you know, primary care may be of greater interest to you later.

@gyngyn It was actually a specific question on Quinnipiac's secondary application- something along the lines of " what specialty of medicine do you see yourself choosing and what is influencing your interest" so I wrote about emergency medicine, a car accident I was involved in and my brothers heroin overdose and how I reacted methodically in both situations to the benefit of the people involved... but I'm nervous to submit that because I am sure that may not be what they want to hear despite it being the truth. I hope they can see potential past not fulfilling a primary care mission ...

@gyngyn It was actually a specific question on Quinnipiac's secondary application- something along the lines of " what specialty of medicine do you see yourself choosing and what is influencing your interest" so I wrote about emergency medicine, a car accident I was involved in and my brothers heroin overdose and how I reacted methodically in both situations to the benefit of the people involved... but I'm nervous to submit that because I am sure that may not be what they want to hear despite it being the truth. I hope they can see potential past not fulfilling a primary care mission ...
I see. Since they ask for specifics, disclosure is the best policy.

Update! No rejections yet, 1 interview received at a D.O. school. Had a physician i've been shadowing personally deliver a letter to my #1 choice, which she teaches at. Hoping for a small handful of MD despite my 65.5 lizzy :/ @Goro @gyngyn

Reactions: 1 users
Good luck!

Now go read my posts on guide to interviews, and guide to your interview questions.

Update! No rejections yet, 1 interview received at a D.O. school. Had a physician i've been shadowing personally deliver a letter to my #1 choice, which she teaches at. Hoping for a small handful of MD despite my 65.5 lizzy :/ @Goro @gyngyn

@littlefry I love your positive outlook. Please keep us up to date with how ur cycle is going so far as this could serve as useful info to past applicants such as myself. If u feel comfortable share ur final list and if u added or subtracted any schools above pls let us know and the reasoning behind it if u can. Also let us know if any school gives u love and how the Columbia moon shot is going. Rooting for u!

@Chelsea FC I didn't end of completing the secondary to Columbia even though they sent one (they don't screen). I decided to save the money haha! But thank you so much for your kindness. I'll be grateful to go anywhere.

@Goro As a diligent nerd, I had already read it before you even made the suggestion-- though I plan to re-read closer to interview day to refresh.

@Goro please enjoy this photo of my new cat, a black devon rex named Hallow.

2q1gaaa.jpg

Last edited:
@gyngyn @Goro Also wanted to ask- I've been shadowing and volunteering weekly, got a personal trainer, and a certain celebrity is going to be flying me around the country this fall to 4 different cities to tour with her makeup team and train me specially for her brand. Do you think schools will appreciate this as time off well spent? The reason i'm not employed is because up until last month i was employed by my grandmother who has since relocated to an assisted living facility, and with my upcoming potential interview conflicts and freelance makeup work (I do wedding makeup regularly) its hard to find a job to accommodate me without an open schedule. Or do you think I should downplay this opportunity? I've never traveled before and it is paid work plus fully covered travel, hotel, food etc. so I didn't want to turn the opportunity down to see some of the world!

The plan is different that your typical pre-med, but your Ecs are bare bones...almost what's convenient for a pre-med, not what's necessary to get into med school. I strongly recommend more service ECs, off campus and out of your comfort zone, and especially to those in greater need of yourself. And more patient contact experience as well. One could very well ask "why not be a make up artist, instead of a doctor?"

@gyngyn @Goro Also wanted to ask- I've been shadowing and volunteering weekly, got a personal trainer, and a certain celebrity is going to be flying me around the country this fall to 4 different cities to tour with her makeup team and train me specially for her brand. Do you think schools will appreciate this as time off well spent? The reason i'm not employed is because up until last month i was employed by my grandmother who has since relocated to an assisted living facility, and with my upcoming potential interview conflicts and freelance makeup work (I do wedding makeup regularly) its hard to find a job to accommodate me without an open schedule. Or do you think I should downplay this opportunity? I've never traveled before and it is paid work plus fully covered travel, hotel, food etc. so I didn't want to turn the opportunity down to see some of the world!

@Goro And I definitely have the experience to answer that question effortlessly, but do you mean to say this with all of the ECs I'm coming in with? Because I've been told my ECs are pretty wild. Or do you just mean during my time off... I should be doing more?

I founded a Chess club on my campus and ran it as president for 2 years
I was secretary then vice president of the biology club
I helped found a fitness club and acted as treasurer
I was event coordinator for my school's acapella group that i was in for 3 semesters
I performed tons of hours at blood drives, lake clean ups, music showcases, club fairs, organized chess tournaments and events that fundraised for a designated charity (chess in the schools benefits inner-city school children by funding after school, weekend and summer programs)
I volunteered 100+ hours at my local hospital (continued)
100+ shadowing hours (continued0
worked 2.5 years in sports medicine 250+ hours with student athletes patient contact
worked as a TA for biology for several years 350+ hours
published a paper as first author in 2014 after a competitive internship at a national laboratory
completed thesis research for my degree and attended 2 symposiums
Worked in makeup for 5 years including celebrity clients
Worked as a catering server 5 years
Worked in a pathology lab unpaid internship for 3 months

..... Are my ECS really bare bones?? Or just, during my interim? i've been working to afford all of these applications and studying for the MCAT and taking care of my grandma and tending to my mom's breast cancer.

@Goro And I definitely have the experience to answer that question effortlessly, but do you mean to say this with all of the ECs I'm coming in with? Because I've been told my ECs are pretty wild. Or do you just mean during my time off... I should be doing more?

I founded a Chess club on my campus and ran it as president for 2 years
I was secretary then vice president of the biology club
I helped found a fitness club and acted as treasurer
I was event coordinator for my school's acapella group that i was in for 3 semesters
I performed tons of hours at blood drives, lake clean ups, music showcases, club fairs, organized chess tournaments and events that fundraised for a designated charity (chess in the schools benefits inner-city school children by funding after school, weekend and summer programs)
I volunteered 100+ hours at my local hospital (continued)
100+ shadowing hours (continued0
worked 2.5 years in sports medicine 250+ hours with student athletes patient contact
worked as a TA for biology for several years 350+ hours
published a paper as first author in 2014 after a competitive internship at a national laboratory
completed thesis research for my degree and attended 2 symposiums
Worked in makeup for 5 years including celebrity clients
Worked as a catering server 5 years
Worked in a pathology lab unpaid internship for 3 months

..... Are my ECS really bare bones?? Or just, during my interim? i've been working to afford all of these applications and studying for the MCAT and taking care of my grandma and tending to my mom's breast cancer.

You sound like you've lived a very interesting life. Just saying, if I was an adcom, I would looooove to hear about your M.A.C experience!! :)

UPDATE:
1 rejection (MD), 2 holds (MD), 5 Interviews (2 MD, 3 DO). 14 have yet to respond.

Declined 1 of the DO interviews because I decided it wasn't a good fit and am now budgeting time and money carefully.

I had two interviews that I feel went INCREDIBLY well, 1 was with my first choice. Praying that it ends up with an acceptance.

@Goro @gyngyn

Reactions: 1 users
UPDATE:
1 rejection (MD), 2 holds (MD), 5 Interviews (2 MD, 3 DO). 14 have yet to respond.

Declined 1 of the DO interviews because I decided it wasn't a good fit and am now budgeting time and money carefully.

I had two interviews that I feel went INCREDIBLY well, 1 was with my first choice. Praying that it ends up with an acceptance.

@Goro @gyngyn
mind sharing where you got your 2 MD interviews from ?And 2 holds

:soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::clap::clap::clap::highfive::highfive::highfive::claps::claps::claps:

UPDATE:

@Goro @gyngyn

@Goro @gyngyn

Timeline for thank-you notes? Also- handwritten vs email? The first guy explicitly said email because I politely asked for his card at the end of the interview so I did exactly that- but for other schools I'd appreciate your opinions!

It doesn't matter, unless someone specifies as your interviewer did.

@Goro @gyngyn

Timeline for thank-you notes? Also- handwritten vs email? The first guy explicitly said email because I politely asked for his card at the end of the interview so I did exactly that- but for other schools I'd appreciate your opinions!