3.65 GPA 507 MCAT. Refine my list!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@Goro @gyngyn

Timeline for thank-you notes? Also- handwritten vs email? The first guy explicitly said email because I politely asked for his card at the end of the interview so I did exactly that- but for other schools I'd appreciate your opinions!
E-mail is fine, but they are entirely optional.

Members don't see this ad.

@Goro I had a SUPER high-stress interview today at an MD school, and walked out sort of chuckling to myself thinking "that could've been Goro if I didn't already know he was an interviewer for a DO school." He played the devil's advocate role... challenging everything I said in a way that almost taunted me to make me sound stupid, but I stuck my ground and passionately explained my thinking ... I hope that the fact that I upheld my own opinions firmly pays off.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I was waitlisted today at my #1 choice. Letter of intent? I can't stop crying. @Goro @gyngyn. Is this hopeless?

I was waitlisted today at my #1 choice. Letter of intent? I can't stop crying. @Goro @gyngyn. Is this hopeless?
An LOI is not going to help at the moment. Adaptability and resilience are the characteristics you need to muster.
It is far from hopeless.

An LOI is not going to help at the moment. Adaptability and resilience are the characteristics you need to muster.
It is far from hopeless.
Do you feel a letter of intent is more appropriate after I have finished interviewing and hopefully maybe receive an acceptance elsewhere? Closer to end of April?

On two waitlists with no acceptances yet. Going to add in more volunteer work the next few months at soup kitchens benefit underserved populations because I feel that could be a weaker point in my application. Keeping my head up but logically preparing a plan B if no acceptances come this cycle so...

Would a masters degree be helpful? Should I apply immediately again come June? If I re apply after a masters, do they use my masters gpa?
Your input is, as always, very helpful and appreciated. Perhaps my only peace of mind.
@gyngyn @Goro

On two waitlists with no acceptances yet. Going to add in more volunteer work the next few months at soup kitchens benefit underserved populations because I feel that could be a weaker point in my application. Keeping my head up but logically preparing a plan B if no acceptances come this cycle so...

Would a masters degree be helpful? Should I apply immediately again come June? If I re apply after a masters, do they use my masters gpa?
Your input is, as always, very helpful and appreciated. Perhaps my only peace of mind.
@gyngyn @Goro
Masters Degrees are not reliably helpful to an MD application.
Post graduate grades are not added into the undergraduate gpa.
It is usually not wise to apply two cycles in a row, unless the only deficit was a weak list.

Reactions: 1 users
Masters Degrees are not reliably helpful to an MD application.
Post graduate grades are not added into the undergraduate gpa.
It is usually not wise to apply two cycles in a row, unless the only deficit was a weak list.

What do you recommend if not courses post undergrad? Continued research? Bolstered volunteer work?
Let's sincerely hope I get in then!.. @gyngyn

Last edited:
What do you recommend if not courses post undergrad? Continued research? Bolstered volunteer work?
Let's sincerely hope I get in then!.. @gyngyn
A validated commitment to service will always improve odds of acceptance for a good candidate.

I started at two local soup kitchens bi-weekly yesterday and habitat for humanity on Wendesdays building so I'm all over this! I also just organized a charity makeup class using my skill and experience that will collect hygiene products for a local homeless women's shelter in lieu of an admission charge. I just hope it isn't too late to get tons of hours in! @gyngyn @Goro. Thanks for all your advice! If it weren't for anonymity, I would gladly send fruit! Or catnip.... (Goro)

Last edited:
@gyngyn @Goro

Accepted to NYIT yesterday! Still reserved but hopeful on potential MD acceptances...

Reactions: 1 users
@gyngyn @Goro deferred to later review for my #2 choice that I feel super strongly about... update letter? Or leave it alone

Updates that go "I just started X activity" do NOT make the Admissions deans issue IIs.

No I mean admission I already interviewed. Deferred post interview. Sorry should have clarified. @Goro

Accepted off the wait list to my #1, Stony Brook Med this afternoon. I want to sincerely THANK you for all of your guidance and help. @gyngyn @Goro Cheers!!

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you!! @Goro

I applied to ~21 schools and received a total of 6 II

NYITCOM, SUNY Stony Brook, Drexel Med, Geisinger Commonwealth, Touro Harlem, and Lake Erie. I declined Lake Erie's II after consideration and went on all 5 interviews. I was rejected from Drexel, waitlisted at Geisinger Common, Touro Harlem, and accepted to SUNY Stony (post-waitlist) and NYIT.