3.65c, 3.64s, 504 mcat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TrebizondArcher

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
3.65c, 3.64s, 504 mcat (126/129/125/124) (first time taken)
Chemistry major/human bio dual degree
Michigan State Honors College, Lyman Briggs Resident College
3 years of research (both university and internship), x4 journal publications (2 as first cred.), university poster forum
Employed as a patient sitter and transporter (1000+ hours)
Shadowed a radiologist/the dept. of radiology at a large local hospital (120 hours)
Senior member of university quiz bowl team, club secretary
Volunteer work through: quiz bowl, local cancer treatment club, Science Olympiad coach, tutoring high school students, children's museum
Several merit based scholarships (national merit, university scholarships)
Michigan
Male
White
Strong LRs (hopefully)

Working on secondary applications for:
Wayne State
Oakland Beaumont
Michigan State CHM
Toledo
tOSU
Cincinnati
Florida State
Nebraska
Creighton
Utah
Louisville
Drexell
VCU
Kansas
USC (Columbia and Greenville)
Arizona Tucson

I have a freiend who is currently in a DO program (MSU), and compounded with my strong desire to specialize in Radiology, I've concluded that I'd rather restart the process again next year than apply to a DO program. I'm willing to be convinced otherwise.

Members don't see this ad.

With an MCAT roughly equal to a 28, I would remove all of the public schools where you are not a resident of that state (Kansas, Louisville, Florida State, Nebraska, etc.) The applicants with lower MCAT scores that those public schools accept are legal residents of the state in which the school is located. OOS acceptees have higher stats.

Your money will be better spent on private schools where your MCAT falls above the 10th percentile. Look at MSAR to help you formulate a better list.

I think you'd be an excellent DO candidate.

Your list of OOS schools has many state schools that accept very few non residents with your stats. Only Creighton, Toledo, Drexel and VCU are realistic. Add more schools such as:
Western Michigan
Central Michigan
NYMC
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
Temple
Jefferson
Quinnipiac
Your Michigan schools are where your best chances are so you should definitely add Central Michigan and Western Michigan.

Members don't see this ad :)
I suggest:

Quinnipiac
Oakland U Beaumont
WVU
EVMS
Rosy Franklin
MCW
Creighton
NYMC
VCU
Rush (note: very service/experience oriented with a 150hr service requirement. Avg student has 800 hours of community service, and >1800 hours of health care exposure.)
Loma Linda (but read their list of don'ts)
Albany
Netter
Your state school(s).

Any DO school, starting with CCOM, MUCOM, MSUCOM and LECOM