3.66 cGPA, 3.39 SGPA, 29R MCAT chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kfm21

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm a senior at Michigan looking to apply this June. My MCAT is lower than I would like (11BS / 8PS / 10 VR) but I'm a little nervous that I won't improve my score if I retake it. I'm scheduled to retake it in May, but I don't want a lower second score to stop me from applying this upcoming rotation.
My science GPA is a little low at 3.39, but I have one semester left and it will hopefully increase slightly. My cGPA is 3.66.
I've spent three years volunteering on the pediatric hematology/oncology floor and probably have close to 500 hours. I also shadowed a little while volunteering.

I spent a year volunteering in a Cognitive Neuropsychology Research Lab. No publications, but I'm hoping I can get a good LOR from my advisor.

Last semester I started volunteering in a cancer research lab, and now I work there and will continue to work there through my gap year next year. We focus on breast cancer cell signaling, and I'm hoping it will lead to not only great research experience, but a publication and a LOR from my PI.

I also work as a biochemistry tutor and I spent a summer working in multicultural elementary schools in New Zealand. While it wasn't a medically related experience, I loved every minute of it and I will probably ask my advisor for a LOR.

I guess I'm mostly just worried about how my MCAT score will factor into the rest of my application if I don't retake it. Anyone recommend I definitely take it again? Do I even have a chance if I don't?
I'd prefer to apply MD, but I'm not opposed to applying to a few DO programs. While I'd love to stay in Michigan, I'm open to applying pretty much anywhere.
Anyone have any recommendations for schools to apply to with my given stats? I'm definitely applying to all the schools in Michigan (including DO) but I don't know where else I'd be competitive at.

Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

I think that you should retake the MCAT. Study really hard, try a Kaplan course or something similar. Your GPAs aren't thaat low, and with all the schools in Michigan, I'd guess you'll get in with a 33+ MCAT.

Not that I know anything other than reading SDN and applying this year myself with similar (even lower) GPAs and a 34.

I think if you want MD, you can only gain from retaking the MCAT (I don't know if your stats currently would make the cut), and getting roughly the same result will still make you a fit for DO.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,
I'm a senior at Michigan looking to apply this June. My MCAT is lower than I would like (11BS / 8PS / 10 VR) but I'm a little nervous that I won't improve my score if I retake it. I'm scheduled to retake it in May, but I don't want a lower second score to stop me from applying this upcoming rotation.
My science GPA is a little low at 3.39, but I have one semester left and it will hopefully increase slightly. My cGPA is 3.66.
I've spent three years volunteering on the pediatric hematology/oncology floor and probably have close to 500 hours. I also shadowed a little while volunteering.

I spent a year volunteering in a Cognitive Neuropsychology Research Lab. No publications, but I'm hoping I can get a good LOR from my advisor.

Last semester I started volunteering in a cancer research lab, and now I work there and will continue to work there through my gap year next year. We focus on breast cancer cell signaling, and I'm hoping it will lead to not only great research experience, but a publication and a LOR from my PI.

I also work as a biochemistry tutor and I spent a summer working in multicultural elementary schools in New Zealand. While it wasn't a medically related experience, I loved every minute of it and I will probably ask my advisor for a LOR.

I guess I'm mostly just worried about how my MCAT score will factor into the rest of my application if I don't retake it. Anyone recommend I definitely take it again? Do I even have a chance if I don't?
I'd prefer to apply MD, but I'm not opposed to applying to a few DO programs. While I'd love to stay in Michigan, I'm open to applying pretty much anywhere.
Anyone have any recommendations for schools to apply to with my given stats? I'm definitely applying to all the schools in Michigan (including DO) but I don't know where else I'd be competitive at.

Thanks so much!

neither a 3.39 sGPA or a 29 MCAT will keep you out of MDs on ITS OWN. but when you combine these two together, the chances aren't looking very good. with a sGPA on the lower range, your MCAT needs to be proportionally higher. retake the MCAT and aim for at least a 33+.

MD: higher MCAT would be help a good deal. It could be a crapshoot for you with a 29 and 3.4 sGPA. Be sure to apply realistically.

DO: you're a lock. Feel free to apply to any DO schools you want. If you up your shadowing a bit and get a DO LOR you could have a great cycle applying to DO schools. Chances at MSUCOM would probably be good if you want to stay in MI.

Thanks for the advice! I'm definitely planning to retake it. What would be the lowest MCAT that would be acceptable for me to get and still be competitive for MD?
I ask only because the first time I took it I had taken a Princeton Review course and spent a whole summer studying, and I don't have that option this time around since I'm taking a full semester of classes.