3.66s/3.71cGPA 36MCAT Canadian, US Perm Resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anomandaris

MS2
7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I suggest the following, assuming that permanent resident is = US citizen. So take with a grain of salt.

Harvard

Wash U

Yale

Stanford

U Chicago

U Penn

U VA (maybe)

U MI (maybe)
U Colorado
U VM

U WI
Ohio State

Jefferson
U IA
UCLA OR UCSD OR UCI
U Cincy
Miami
Albert Einstein
Tulane
Loyola
Emory
BU
USC/Keck
Baylor
JHU
Mayo
Pitt
Northwestern
NYU
Vanderbilt
Columbia
Sinai
Cornell
Duke
Case
Hofstra

I suggest the following, assuming that permanent resident is = US citizen. So take with a grain of salt.

Harvard

Wash U

Yale

Stanford

U Chicago

U Penn

U VA (maybe)

U MI (maybe)
U Colorado
U VM

U WI
Ohio State

Jefferson
U IA
UCLA OR UCSD OR UCI
U Cincy
Miami
Albert Einstein
Tulane
Loyola
Emory
BU
USC/Keck
Baylor
JHU
Mayo
Pitt
Northwestern
NYU
Vanderbilt
Columbia
Sinai
Cornell
Duke
Case
Hofstra

Thanks for the input! Though some of those schools seem quite quite reach-ish for me. I'm paying everything out of my own pocket since I don't qualify for FAP, but I still barely make enough to get by here in California (thus not really looking to apply to that many schools, UCSD would be the reach dream for me).

Do you think with my current list I should be able to get in somewhere?

Members don't see this ad :)
A 36 MCAT is nothing to sneeze at! For many of the tippy-top schools, your GPAs are ~0.2 points lower than median, but well within striking distance. MSAR Online is your friend so you can start by picking schools whose median GPAs are closest to your own.

Your ECs aren't weak, they are simply a bit average/bland for the top schools - they should suffice. However, your research seems very extensive, that's why I suggest you aim high (but with a balanced list). Check MSAR first to see if your GPAs fall in the range for all of those schools though (I know Harvard/Hopkins have 10%iles around 3.7!)

Look into:

Reaches: UCLA, UCSF, UCSD, Stanford, Sinai, Cornell, NYU, Columbia NW, Vanderbilt, Pitt, Duke

Targets: Irvine, Davis, Riverside (if from the right area), Case Western, Emory, USC, Einstein, Rochester, Ohio State, Boston, Wake Forest

Safe options: Temple, Jefferson, Vermont, SLU, VCU, Rush, Loyola, Rosalind Franklin, U Arizona (both)

A 36 MCAT is nothing to sneeze at! For many of the tippy-top schools, your GPAs are ~0.2 points lower than median, but well within striking distance. MSAR Online is your friend so you can start by picking schools whose median GPAs are closest to your own.

Your ECs aren't weak, they are simply a bit average/bland for the top schools - they should suffice. However, your research seems very extensive, that's why I suggest you aim high (but with a balanced list). Check MSAR first to see if your GPAs fall in the range for all of those schools though (I know Harvard/Hopkins have 10%iles around 3.7!)

Look into:

Reaches: UCLA, UCSF, UCSD, Stanford, Sinai, Cornell, NYU, Columbia NW, Vanderbilt, Pitt, Duke

Targets: Irvine, Davis, Riverside (if from the right area), Case Western, Emory, USC, Einstein, Rochester, Ohio State, Boston, Wake Forest

Safe options: Temple, Jefferson, Vermont, SLU, VCU, Rush, Loyola, Rosalind Franklin, U Arizona (both)

Gotcha. Thanks to both of you for your input; I appreciate it a lot! I screened out a lot of schools due to their requirements for 2-3 faculty professors. I finished my undergraduate in 3 years and didn't have too many opportunities (to be fair, I was a little obnoxious little brat back then and didn't put in extra effort either) to get to know my professors.

I'm really pulling for UCSD and Wake Forest... Submitted both my secondaries there today so fingers crossed. I went to UCD for my undergraduate, and I don't think I could stomach another 4 years in the Sacramento area, heh.

Gotcha. Thanks to both of you for your input; I appreciate it a lot! I screened out a lot of schools due to their requirements for 2-3 faculty professors. I finished my undergraduate in 3 years and didn't have too many opportunities (to be fair, I was a little obnoxious little brat back then and didn't put in extra effort either) to get to know my professors.

I'm really pulling for UCSD and Wake Forest... Submitted both my secondaries there today so fingers crossed. I went to UCD for my undergraduate, and I don't think I could stomach another 4 years in the Sacramento area, heh.

You'll be fine. The California ORM horror stories of people with good stats are a decent number of times from those who think just cut and copying their favorite names in US News Top 25 schools and making that their list of schools to apply to or those who apply to 5-10 schools. You have listed good low tier options. Explore those and you will have your bases covered and be an interesting candidate for the bigger names.

You'll be fine. The California ORM horror stories of people with good stats are a decent number of times from those who think just cut and copying their favorite names in US News Top 25 schools and making that their list of schools to apply to or those who apply to 5-10 schools. You have listed good low tier options. Explore those and you will have your bases covered and be an interesting candidate for the bigger names.

Ahhh gotcha. Still feels like so much of a crapshoot with acceptances. Thank you very much for your input and insight though. Hopefully I won't end up being another Cali ORM story xD