3.69 cGPA, 3.72 sGPA, 505 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Harrybean

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I've been lurking on this thread for a long time and I guess it's finally my time to post this. Just received my 4/23 MCAT and I am pretty bummed... Nevertheless, I was wondering what my chances are for MD.

Major: Biology, UCR
cGPA: 3.69
sGPA: 3.72
MCAT: 505 (126,125,126,128)
Ethnicity: Asian
State: California

EC's
- 4 leadership positions in non-medical volunteering orgs that helped the underserved population(~350 hours)
- 250 Hours of Clinical Volunteering
- 60 hours of shadowing (Pulmonology MD and Family Medicine DO)
- 3 months of full-time paid research internship in Korea (No publications)
- 1 weak LOR from science, good LOR's from 2 physicians and 1 Humanities Professor

I struggled my first year with a 3.4 cGPA but ended up averaging a 3.85 my 2-5th (upward trend)

School List:
University of California, Riverside
Loma Linda
Cooper Medical School of Rowan University
Penn State
Oregon
Rosalind-Chicago
George Washington U

It's honestly pretty hard to find schools that accept a 505 (28-29) on the MCAT... What do you guys think are my chances and feel free to comment on my list. Thank you :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Are you Adventist? If not delete LL.
Delete OHSU. You do not meet OOS MCAT requirements.
Many of Rosalind Franklin's matriculants in your range are part of a special program.
Howard is an HBCU...
No DO schools?

Oh my gosh I completely forgot to delete Howard... Sorry about that.

I'm looking into D.O.'s as well (TUCOM-CA, and Western-pomona). However, I'm a bit worried that it's a little late to send in my application for D.O.'s since it's already been 3 weeks since the application opened.

Members don't see this ad :)
about that.

I'm looking into D.O.'s as well (TUCOM-CA, and Western-pomona). However, I'm a bit worried that it's a little late to send in my application for D.O.'s since it's already been 3 weeks since the application opened.
They accept applications even months after we close! And we haven't even started yet...
@Goro, help!

Reactions: 1 user
However, I'm a bit worried that it's a little late to send in my application for D.O.'s since it's already been 3 weeks since the application opened.

For DO applying before August is considered early. Yeah the app has been open for 3 weeks but they don't even get sent to schools until June. I personally have a friend who has stats very similar to you and wasn't complete until about the beginning of December... And now he has 3 acceptances. With your stats you probably only need like 10 DO schools if you are smart about where you apply, you are competative most everywhere. Just avoid the state schools like MSU and OUCOM.

For MD schools you could try:
Quinnipiac
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Albany
New York Medical College
Creighton
Roseman (new school accepting applicants sometime this year)
Your chances for a MD acceptance are low so apply to at least 10 DO schools and you are competitive for most DO schools.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you all so far the replies, it's been a lot of help :)

Last edited:
With the DO cycle being longer, one can apply as late as Oct/Nov and still be fine.

Yay that's reassuring. I recently gained interest in doing research while practicing medicine. I've read that some DO schools do research but I was wondering if it was common for DO's to do research and practice together.

Thank you

Hey guys! I've been lurking on this thread for a long time and I guess it's finally my time to post this. Just received my 4/23 MCAT and I am pretty bummed... Nevertheless, I was wondering what my chances are for MD.

Major: Biology, UCR
cGPA: 3.69
sGPA: 3.72
MCAT: 505 (126,125,126,128)
Ethnicity: Asian
State: California

EC's
- 4 leadership positions in non-medical volunteering orgs that helped the underserved population(~350 hours)
- 250 Hours of Clinical Volunteering
- 60 hours of shadowing (Pulmonology MD and Family Medicine DO)
- 3 months of full-time paid research internship in Korea (No publications)
- 1 weak LOR from science, good LOR's from 2 physicians and 1 Humanities Professor

I struggled my first year with a 3.4 cGPA but ended up averaging a 3.85 my 2-5th (upward trend)

School List:
University of California, Riverside
Loma Linda
Cooper Medical School of Rowan University
Penn State
Oregon
Rosalind-Chicago
George Washington U

It's honestly pretty hard to find schools that accept a 505 (28-29) on the MCAT... What do you guys think are my chances and feel free to comment on my list. Thank you :)
I hate to be blunt, but I don't think you should apply to any MD schools. Go ahead and throw some in if you have the cash and time, but TAPER expectations as much as possible. Unlucky state with cookie cutter EC's = unspectacular app. On top of that, the low scores on your MCAT were in the three most important sections. Makes your high science GPA seem kinda fluky.

but overall your GPA is good, which is why I think you'll definitely get some DO interviews. Listen to Faha and go from there.

I hate to be blunt, but I don't think you should apply to any MD schools. Go ahead and throw some in if you have the cash and time, but TAPER expectations as much as possible. Unlucky state with cookie cutter EC's = unspectacular app. On top of that, the low scores on your MCAT were in the three most important sections. Makes your high science GPA seem kinda fluky.

but overall your GPA is good, which is why I think you'll definitely get some DO interviews. Listen to Faha and go from there.
He definitely has chances for MD programs. Totally disagree with your opinion. There's more to consider beyond what the applicant is going to share on this forum. I'm sure they are being conservative here with the stats.

He definitely has chances for MD programs. Totally disagree with your opinion. There's more to consider beyond what the applicant is going to share on this forum. I'm sure they are being conservative here with the stats.
Definitely has chances for MD? I stopped reading after that. Definitely and MD should never coalesce in a sentence. Ever.

Definitely has chances for MD? I stopped reading after that. Definitely and MD should never coalesce in a sentence. Ever.

Yes there is definitely a chance. Definitely a chance is not the same as definitely an acceptance... According to the AAMC grid he definitely has a non zero chance at acceptance.