3.6cGPA, 3.41sGPA and 508 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ludoime

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So it's almost November and I'm getting more anxious every day, spending hours on SDN as a lurker trying to figure out what my chances would be. I think it's finally time to ask this question. What are my chances?
I'm a CT resident at UConn, currently double majoring in animal science and pathobiology, with a minor in molecular and cell biology. My cumulative GPA is a 3.6 and my science GPA is about a 3.4. MCAT: 508 (77th percentile, 126 CHEM PHYS, 130 CARS, 126 BIO BIOCHEM, 126 PSYCH SOC). There is an upward trend in my GPA with mostly A's.
I'm a white male but I'm also a 1st generation immigrant. I've been told by a few ADCOM member acquaintances that is is my golden ticket. I also believe that I have rather strong and positive LOEs from PI's (one head of MD/PhD admissions), professors, art professor, and my boss (of 3 years).
As far as EC's go, I'm concerned.
Research: ~1,100 hours across 3 labs, 2 competitive paid internships, 1 poster presentation (0 publications :( ), mostly regenerative biology.
Leadership: Bioethics club through all years of college, including CFO and VP positions and co-founded a peer-reviewed journal (where I was managing editor and EiC while we issued 3 issues). I was also a part of a medical service-oriented group for a year.
Work: Transport of disabled university students and staff, ~ 3,000h.
Clinical: <20h of volunteering at a migrant farm worker's clinic.
<50h of shadowing a hospitalist, ragiologist, urologist.
Work had to take precedence over volunteering because I needed the money to support myself (1st gen. immigrant problems). I submitted my primary in late August and submitted my secondaries/completed apps through September to the following schools:
Albany
Albert Einstein
Drexel
Geisel
George Washington
Loyola
Morehouse
NYMC
Quinnipiac
Rosalind Franklin
Commonwealth MC
U of NM (Rejected)
UVM
Tufts
U of AZ Phoenix
UConn
Warren Alpert
Wright State
Mayo (Rejected)

I hope it's not too top heavy.
Beyond the rejections I have not heard anything. Any thoughts? I'm considering applying to DO programs but I think I'd rather do a master's next year and volunteer as an EMT if I don't get in.

Members don't see this ad.

Your chances are best at the following, but I think that the lack of clinical volunteering is probably going to be lethal.

Albany
Drexel
George Washington
Loyola
NYMC
Quinnipiac
Rosalind Franklin
Tufts
UConn

Reactions: 1 user
Your chances are best at the following, but I think that the lack of clinical volunteering is probably going to be lethal.

Albany
Drexel
George Washington
Loyola
NYMC
Quinnipiac
Rosalind Franklin
Tufts
UConn

So would you say my chances are slim to nonexistent, or is there anything I can do this late in the game (apply to Caribbean MD schools, DO schools)?

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't recommend applying to DO schools in this cycle. We've rejected people with so few volunteering hrs. You need to show us that you know what you know what you're getting into.

Carib diploma mills??? Do some searching in these forums.

Yes, I realize they are for profit schools essentially with low match rates in the US. Not sure if I have any more alternatives for this cycle.
In preparation for next cycle I will be volunteering and shadowing more (few hundred hours). I might also be able to get an EMT certification and volunteer at local emergency response units.
In that time my GPA will increase possibly to 3.65-3.7 range. Would it be worth it getting an MPH or MS, or delaying graduation for another year and tacking on another minor?