3.7 32 FL res

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedkitty

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is my first post on SDN, so hopefully I am doing this right and no one will yell at me :thumbup:

I submitted my primary in June and am still waiting for AMCAS to process it :lame: While I wait I am compiling my list. I've looked at mdappliants, MSAR, LizzyM, etc, but am feeling overwhelmed. So far I have all of the FL schools (IS), so any advice would be greatly appreciated

Undergrad:
First year at Georgia Tech studying aerospace engineering
Transferred to Emory University, majored in Neuroscience and Behavioral Biology
3.7 32 (10P/11V/11B)
Graduated last year

LORs:
3 from professors (genetics, biochem, neuroscience)
1 from a volunteer coordinator
1 from a surgeon

Volunteer:
Run a weekly activity night for adult transplant/cancer patients at Mayo Clinic
Volunteer with a local free clinic
Donate merchandise from my business to a local organization to raise money for spay/neuter operations

Research:
Research assistant at primate research center for 2+ years
Currently heading a clinical research project with a hand surgeon

Shadowing:
Total 400+ hours, mainly surgeons, some cardiologists, dermatologists and internists
I also did the UC Davis Pre-medical Surgical Internship (highly recommended!)

I own and operate a small business, which is a full time job. I am spending my year off running a non-profit organization, volunteering, running my business and doing research.

I've saved enough money to apply to 25-30 schools. Thanks guys :)

Members don't see this ad.

Don't aim too high and you'll be fine.

This is my first post on SDN, so hopefully I am doing this right and no one will yell at me :thumbup:

I submitted my primary in June and am still waiting for AMCAS to process it :lame: While I wait I am compiling my list. I've looked at mdappliants, MSAR, LizzyM, etc, but am feeling overwhelmed. So far I have all of the FL schools (IS), so any advice would be greatly appreciated

Undergrad:
First year at Georgia Tech studying aerospace engineering
Transferred to Emory University, majored in Neuroscience and Behavioral Biology
3.7 32 (10P/11V/11B)
Graduated last year

LORs:
3 from professors (genetics, biochem, neuroscience)
1 from a volunteer coordinator
1 from a surgeon

Volunteer:
Run a weekly activity night for adult transplant/cancer patients at Mayo Clinic
Volunteer with a local free clinic
Donate merchandise from my business to a local organization to raise money for spay/neuter operations

Research:
Research assistant at primate research center for 2+ years
Currently heading a clinical research project with a hand surgeon

Shadowing:
Total 400+ hours, mainly surgeons, some cardiologists, dermatologists and internists
I also did the UC Davis Pre-medical Surgical Internship (highly recommended!)

I own and operate a small business, which is a full time job. I am spending my year off running a non-profit organization, volunteering, running my business and doing research.

I've saved enough money to apply to 25-30 schools. Thanks guys :)

I think you have an excellent shot, and that 25-30 schools for someone with your stats/EC's may be a bit excessive. Better safe than sorry though. I'd recommend sticking with the MSAR (the online version >> book), but here are some ideas:

BU
Tufts
Albany Medical
NYMC
Hofstra
Cincinnati
OSU
Rush
Loyola
SLU
Creighton
GW
Georgetown
USC (CA)

Some big things to consider: Would you actually be willing to live in X city for 4 years? Will you be close to any family? How important is the cost?