MD & DO 3.7 BCPM, 3.8 cGPA, 34 MCAT, 255 benchpress

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

halfwaycrooks

This is a library
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey! I'm a white resident :chicken:

Clinical
Typical shadowing (40 hrs)
Typical volunteering (>100 hrs)

Non-clinical
Several activities that were short in duration
After school tutor for disadvantaged children (1 semester ~25 hours)
Big brother big sisters mentor (2 semesters ~50 hours)

Employment
Ochem TA (1 semester)
Gen chem lab technician (3 semesters)
Research Assistant (paid 1 summer)
Wawa (1 summer)

Honors
Dean's list (4 semesters)
PBK
Merit Scholarship

Research
Presented the same poster at 2 conferences. Worked here for about 15 months

Hobbies
Ultimate frisbee
Weightlifting
Surfing
Computer programming

I have a somewhat unique story. I lived on campus freshman year but didn't have the $ to live on or off campus in the subsequent years. As a result, I have been commuting 1.5 hours each way to school every day for soph, junior, and senior years. 3 hours a day split between 2 hours on the train and an hour in the car. This kind of explains the short duration of my volunteering and I see it as a definite weak point.

I didn't intend to live at home for the rest of college, it was supposed to be a temporary situation but then a family member got real sick so I decided to stay. I know I'm going to have a hard time explaining this without sounding whiny but any advice is appreciated. Planning on mentioning it some in my ps.

Please help me with my school list:
Baylor
Boston
Case Western
+Dartmouth (my numbers are a good match, good reputation)
Drexel
Duke
Emory
GW (too many apps)
Jefferson
Miami (undesirable location)
Michigan
+Northwestern
NYU (just too expensive to live in nyc, although it seems romantic <3)
Penn
Penn State
Pitt
Rochester (mandatory lectures)
Temple
Tufts (high coa)
USC Keck (too far, no need based aid)
UVA
Vanderbilt
Vermont (a great location but high OOS tuition + would not attend over any state schools)
+VCU (added because my numbers are a good match)
Wake Forest

Possible additions:

Possible deletions:

Sitting at 20 right now, hoping to have it down to at most 15 by app time. My philosophy is this: if I'm going to move out of state (ie far away from home) then it's going to be for an awesome program that is significantly better than Jeff/Temple or another great reason. I feel that I have a good chance at these schools and as a result most of the out of state schools are reaches. Let me know if this is an ignorant way to go about this. I'll be editing this post as the list changes. Thanks for your time

Edited 3/11/14: Deleted NYU due to high CoA, deleted cleveland clinic due to being part of case western, added drexel (need more safeties)

Edited 4/13/14: Deleted GW due to a 0.9% chance of being interviewed as per the msar :laugh:
Added vcu because my numbers are a good match.
Added miami to possible deletions list mostly due to climate, may keep it due to relatively low oos tuition.
Sitting at 18 schools...Probably need to get rid of a reach or two (umich/vanderbilt/penn..)

Edited 5/19/14: Deleted miami & rochester. Added dartmouth, northwestern. Decided to keep BU, don't want to limit my options too much.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Sorry, trying to retain some degree of anonymity here.

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You have great stats, just go through MSAR and see who accepts large numbers of out of state applicants. Def be careful with the large applicant pool schools like Georgetown, WF, Jefferson, and GW. Apply to every in-state school your competitive for ie Drexel and Commonwealth. I'm only sitting with one interview this year at my state school.

You might also consider the military if money is a concern.

http://www.goarmy.com/amedd/education/hpsp.html

and the military medical school

http://www.usuhs.mil/

Be honest, voice your interest and desire for medicine, and your commitment to a family member. If they think your whiny screw em

Reactions: 1 user
You have great stats, just go through MSAR and see who accepts large numbers of out of state applicants. Def be careful with the large applicant pool schools like Georgetown, WF, Jefferson, and GW. Apply to every in-state school your competitive for ie Drexel and Commonwealth. I'm only sitting with one interview this year at my state school.

You might also consider the military if money is a concern.

http://www.goarmy.com/amedd/education/hpsp.html

and the military medical school

http://www.usuhs.mil/

Be honest, voice your interest and desire for medicine, and your commitment to a family member. If they think your whiny screw em
Thanks for the vote of confidence. I have considered military med but I don't think it's for me. Also, I think I'll be much more willing to adopt the 'screw em' mentality when I have an acceptance in hand haha.

Your app looks great and I agree with you on all counts. You have good shots at both Jeff and Temple, just make sure you send them letters letting them know they are your top choices. Those deletions sound like a good idea, and you should consider taking out UVA and Vermont as well, unless you have significant in-state connections. Your stats may be 'too high' for Drexel and TCMC has had some issues since it's inception.

Also don't skip leg day

Thanks dj, I'll probably kick out vermont. UVA would be a semi-reach for me and they take about 50% oos so I think they may be worth keeping.

Thanks for your input goro. Would you be willing to elaborate about your reasoning behind the addition of vcu?

Hey! I'm a white PA resident :chicken:

Clinical
Typical shadowing (40 hrs)
Typical volunteering (>100 hrs)

Non-clinical
Several activities that were short in duration
After school tutor for disadvantaged children (1 semester ~25 hours)
Big brother big sisters mentor (2 semesters ~50 hours)

Employment
Ochem TA (1 semester)
Gen chem lab technician (3 semesters)
Research Assistant (paid 1 summer)
Wawa (1 summer)

Honors
Dean's list (4 semesters)
PBK
Merit Scholarship

Research
Presented the same poster at 2 conferences. Worked here for about 15 months

Hobbies
Ultimate frisbee
Weightlifting
Surfing
Computer programming

I have a somewhat unique story. I lived on campus freshman year but didn't have the $ to live on or off campus in the subsequent years. As a result, I have been commuting 1.5 hours each way to school every day for soph, junior, and senior years. 3 hours a day split between 2 hours on the train and an hour in the car. This kind of explains the short duration of my volunteering and I see it as a definite weak point.

I didn't intend to live at home for the rest of college, it was supposed to be a temporary situation but then a family member got real sick so I decided to stay. I know I'm going to have a hard time explaining this without sounding whiny but any advice is appreciated. Planning on mentioning it some in my ps.

Please help me with my school list:
Baylor
Boston (Tons of apps + high coa)
Case Western
Duke
Emory
GW
Jefferson
Miami
Michigan
NYU
Penn
Penn State
Pitt
Rochester
Temple
Tufts (high coa)
USC Keck (too far)
UVA
Vanderbilt
Vermont
Wake Forest

Possible additions:
Emory
Drexel
Cleveland clinic

Possible deletions:
NYU (high coa)
GW (tons of applications)

Sitting at 20 right now, hoping to have it down to at most 15 by app time. My philosophy is this: if I'm going to move out of state (ie far away from home) then it's going to be for an awesome program that is significantly better than Jeff/Temple or another great reason. I feel that I have a good chance at these schools and as a result most of the out of state schools are reaches. Let me know if this is an ignorant way to go about this. I'll be editing this post as the list changes. Thanks for your time
If you bring up the sick family member in your application and the situation hasn't resolved, be prepared to field questions about how that person will manage while you're in med school, or what will you do about med school if that person has an emergency. I'd save the commuter time impingement discussion for a Secondary essay along the lines of "A challenge you overcame," "A stress and how you managed it."

And would you really attend Baylor? Or Miami or Vanderbilt? Really? I'd keep UVermont AND UVirginia.

If you bring up the sick family member in your application and the situation hasn't resolved, be prepared to field questions about how that person will manage while you're in med school, or what will you do about med school if that person has an emergency. I'd save the commuter time impingement discussion for a Secondary essay along the lines of "A challenge you overcame," "A stress and how you managed it."

And would you really attend Baylor? Or Miami or Vanderbilt? Really? I'd keep UVermont AND UVirginia.
Thankfully the situation is better now so I don't think it'll be an issue. Main reasoning behind vanderbilt is I want to have some reaches but I'll consider removing it if I have no chance there. I added miami because I have an interest in working with hispanic populations but I think I could do that in most places. Miami may be too far from home. Baylor I added because of the cheap tuition.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not fluent, but I am working towards it (taking classes etc). Do you think that would add to my chances at miami?

Not fluent, but I am working towards it (taking classes etc). Do you think that would add to my chances at miami?

No, it won't.

While it is a nice thing to have in general, it probably won't be the dealmaker for your application. Considering that there is a massive representation of the Latino community in Miami, knowing spanish will probably be useful for you, but as far as the application goes, I suspect that Miami would be more interested in someone who has demonstrated some kind of connection to the hispanic community (not necessarily being hispanic) but perhaps an EC or two in which you were working with the latino community - running a blood drive with a hispanic community organization, working as a volunteer translator at a hospital, teaching ESL to latin-american immigrants, etc.

That being said, knowing a foreign language is definitely a positive for your application anywhere, but don't expect it to the be thing that will carry your application to an interview spot.

No, it won't.

While it is a nice thing to have in general, it probably won't be the dealmaker for your application. Considering that there is a massive representation of the Latino community in Miami, knowing spanish will probably be useful for you, but as far as the application goes, I suspect that Miami would be more interested in someone who has demonstrated some kind of connection to the hispanic community (not necessarily being hispanic) but perhaps an EC or two in which you were working with the latino community - running a blood drive with a hispanic community organization, working as a volunteer translator at a hospital, teaching ESL to latin-american immigrants, etc.

That being said, knowing a foreign language is definitely a positive for your application anywhere, but don't expect it to the be thing that will carry your application to an interview spot.
I'm not expecting it to carry my app my any means. I don't have any related ecs unfortunately but I have demonstrated an interest in my coursework.

If you had demonstrated proficiency, say, by acting as a medical translator (if you weren't born into a family that speaks Spanish at home), Spanish-speaking skills might make you more appealing to a number of schools with large, near-by Hispanic populations. From my observation, this seems to help at Keck, and I'd bet at Texas and other Florida schools, too.

If you had demonstrated proficiency, say, by acting as a medical translator (if you weren't born into a family that speaks Spanish at home), Spanish-speaking skills might make you more appealing to a number of schools with large, near-by Hispanic populations. From my observation, this seems to help at Keck, and I'd bet at Texas and other Florida schools, too.
Ok, I'm not at the point yet where I'd feel comfortable in that kind of position. Hopefully I can find some ways to improve my skills in my year off but I don't think my skills at app time will appreciably improve my chances at these schools. Thanks for your insight!

I don't think my skills at app time will appreciably improve my chances at these schools.
I agree you're unlikely to cross the fluency barrier in such a short timeframe, still, it's a good goal to work for that will save you literally hours waiting for a translator during med school clerkships and residency training.

I'm not expecting it to carry my app my any means. I don't have any related ecs unfortunately but I have demonstrated an interest in my coursework.

When you say demonstrated interest in your coursework, are you suggesting that taking a spanish course (I assume?) will demonstrate your interest in

Can you elaborate on this (bolded)? Not sure I follow what you are saying...

When you say demonstrated interest in your coursework, are you suggesting that taking a spanish course (I assume?) will demonstrate your interest in

Can you elaborate on this (bolded)? Not sure I follow what you are saying...
I'm just saying I have taken courses in medical spanish. So the interest is there but the skills aren't to the point where I can confidently say 'i'm fluent'

I'm just saying I have taken courses in medical spanish. So the interest is there but the skills aren't to the point where I can confidently say 'i'm fluent'

I mean, this is sort of a moot point.

Medical schools will expect your major or the classes you are taking in college to be of a subject nature you are "interested in."
A demonstrated interest is usually meant to be something that you have done outside of schoolwork.
For example, if you were applying to an MD/PhD program, they would want applicants to have shown a 'demonstrated interest in biomedical research' and this would probably take the form of a summer research internship, doing undergraduate research for credit, completing a senior thesis/capstone project, etc and probably to a much lesser extent (if even), taking a few laboratory/methods classes.

Do not fool yourself into thinking that having taken a medical spanish course or two in college will resonate with admissions committees in your application as an overarching theme or demonstrated interest in working with the spanish speaking population. You have to take yourself and what you have learned from your class, outside of the classroom and do things to 'demonstrate' that interest.

I mean, this is sort of a moot point.

Medical schools will expect your major or the classes you are taking in college to be of a subject nature you are "interested in."
A demonstrated interest is usually meant to be something that you have done outside of schoolwork.
For example, if you were applying to an MD/PhD program, they would want applicants to have shown a 'demonstrated interest in biomedical research' and this would probably take the form of a summer research internship, doing undergraduate research for credit, completing a senior thesis/capstone project, etc and probably to a much lesser extent (if even), taking a few laboratory/methods classes.

Do not fool yourself into thinking that having taken a medical spanish course or two in college will resonate with admissions committees in your application as an overarching theme or demonstrated interest in working with the spanish speaking population. You have to take yourself and what you have learned from your class, outside of the classroom and do things to 'demonstrate' that interest.
Yes I understand completely and I never intended to communicate that it was going to be a theme of my app. Maybe it's better to just call it an interest at this point but I think it is something I could bring up in an interview about 'why school x' etc.

Going to bump this for some more advice as the clock winds down till submission time.

Stats and EC are solid, clinical exposure is pretty poor. Otherwise you have good research with teaching and leadership exposure. At this point, since it looks like you've gone over your school list already, I'd get rid of some schools you see yourself never going to. Unless you'd like to try to land a couple practice interview before a school you really want or don't really care where you go, there's probably a lot of excess there. I can't tell you which schools seem unappealing to you as that is personal, but if you want to shave it down more start to look at it from that perspective.

Stats and EC are solid, clinical exposure is pretty poor. Otherwise you have good research with teaching and leadership exposure. At this point, since it looks like you've gone over your school list already, I'd get rid of some schools you see yourself never going to. Unless you'd like to try to land a couple practice interview before a school you really want or don't really care where you go, there's probably a lot of excess there. I can't tell you which schools seem unappealing to you as that is personal, but if you want to shave it down more start to look at it from that perspective.
I'll be working on the clinical exposure part this coming year. It's hard for me to narrow it down much more than now because there's always a what if... But you're right, it could be better. Also, nice lifting statso_O

It might just be me being neurotic, but I haven't heard anything back from any schools yet and was thinking I may have applied too top heavy [see mdapps]. I was thinking about adding more MD schools because I am genuinely worried about not getting in. Considered adding DO schools as well but I feel I don't have a legitimate reason other than the lower entrance requirements.

Is it too early for me to worry? What aspects of my app should I be improving over the course of this year should I need to reapply? Would adding 10 more schools be dumb?

It might just be me being neurotic, but I haven't heard anything back from any schools yet and was thinking I may have applied too top heavy [see mdapps]. I was thinking about adding more MD schools because I am genuinely worried about not getting in. Considered adding DO schools as well but I feel I don't have a legitimate reason other than the lower entrance requirements.

Is it too early for me to worry? What aspects of my app should I be improving over the course of this year should I need to reapply? Would adding 10 more schools be dumb?

I'm in a similar situation and am feeling doubts, but I think it is just nerves at play since so many people here are getting interviews already. I think you should hang tight for the next couple of weeks at least, you have a good application.

I see 8 schools where you have a fair to good chance at an interview. Most of them have just started sending out II's. Pick two off of @Goro's list if it makes you feel better but you should be fine (maybe even good, depending on your state of residence).

Patience is a virtue.

I'm in a similar situation and am feeling doubts, but I think it is just nerves at play since so many people here are getting interviews already. I think you should hang tight for the next couple of weeks at least, you have a good application.
Good to know I'm not alone, I guess the best thing I can do is try and stay away from SDN for a while.

I see 8 schools where you have a fair to good chance at an interview. Most of them have just started sending out II's. Pick two off of @Goro's list if it makes you feel better but you should be fine (maybe even good, depending on your state of residence).

Thanks gyngyn, I am a PA resident so I'm hoping that will help. What would you say is the weakest part of my application?

Patience is a virtue.
One that I wish I had...

Just wanted to update this thread for those applying this year. I was invited to interview at Temple, Drexel, Jefferson, TCMC, and Hofstra and attended all but TCMC. Ultimately I was accepted to Temple and Drexel. I ended up adding more schools than necessary and in hindsight feel I wasted some money. I was accepted to schools that I originally had on my list rather than the ones I added when I was feeling some anxiety seeing others get interviews. As @Goro said, patience is truly a virtue.

Thanks everyone for your help

Reactions: 1 users
Super!!! Hopefully you can stick around and advise future med students.

And start boning up on Anatomy now!

Good luck!
Just wanted to update this thread for those applying this year. I was invited to interview at Temple, Drexel, Jefferson, TCMC, and Hofstra and attended all but TCMC. Ultimately I was accepted to Temple and Drexel. I ended up adding more schools than necessary and in hindsight feel I wasted some money. I was accepted to schools that I originally had on my list rather than the ones I added when I was feeling some anxiety seeing others get interviews. As @Goro said, patience is truly a virtue.

Congrats! Do you mind sharing when you got the interview invites and acceptances? I'm curious as to how long you had to wait..

Congrats! Do you mind sharing when you got the interview invites and acceptances? I'm curious as to how long you had to wait..

I had my first invite in mid August I think and I attended my interviews as early as possible. I heard back from temple on the first possible day 10/15 so it worked out in my favor. Most of the dates are in my mdapps. Good luck