3.7 cGPA, 3.5 sGPA / IL resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dingbat14

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

This is my first time posting on SDN. I'm a first-time applicant and I want to know how good of a shot I have at these schools before the applications open up. I'm an Asian female with Illinois res status.
I'm anticipating at least 30 on the MCAT. My biggest concern is my GPA, but it's definitely at an upward trend. I got a 4.0 last semester and hope to continue that.
I am heavily involved with tutoring/teaching at my school but my biggest EC is research. I'm preparing 2 manuscripts for publication and got a 1st place award for my poster presentation. I'm also pretty confident about my LORs.

I'm planning to apply to these places.:

Oakland
Tufts
Wake Forest
Northwestern
Michigan
UChicago Pritzker
Illinois (IS)
Southern Illinois (IS)
Case Western
Rosalind Franklin
Rush
Jefferson
Loyola Stritch
George Washington

As you can see I'm pretty particular about staying in the Midwest for the most part. Some of these are definite reaches and all others I think I'm right about average/slightly below. Any suggestions on this list are appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

The MCAT will make or break you. The sGPA will hinder you with OOS public schools, but you're still fine your U ILL. Suggest not applying to SIU unless you're from southern IL.
Skip Case, Northwestern or U Chicago if your MCAT is <34.

My suggested list:
SLU
MCW
Oakland
Tufts
Wake Forest
Illinois (IS)
Southern Illinois (IS) (maybe)
Rosalind Franklin
Rush
Central MI
Western WI
Jefferson
Loyola Stritch
George Washington
GWU
BU
Creighton
Wayne State (big maybe)
CCOM
DMU
MSU-COM
MarionCom
U Toledo (maybe)
PikesvilleCOM
OH-COM
AT Still

As you can see I'm pretty particular about staying in the Midwest for the most part. Some of these are definite reaches and all others I think I'm right about average/slightly below. Any suggestions on this list are appreciated. Thanks![/quote]

Suggest not applying to SIU unless you're from southern IL.
Which would be south of I-80, practically speaking, though I've heard they have taken very-rural northerners and inner-city folks on rare occasion.

You do have experience interacting with sick folks and some physician shadowing, right? And hopefully, some of the teaching experience qualifies as "Community Service/Volunteer."

It would be helpful if you have an upward grade trend in the sciences when your sGPA is looked at closely.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the replies! I have shadowed physicians and plan on continuing this semester. The tutoring positions are paid but I spent a spring break in Nicaragua teaching English to kids and adults. Also, would it be wise to stay away from mid tier schools like GW and Jefferson that get a ton of applicants? I feel like 98% of SDN are applying there.