3.7 cGPA 3.5 sGPA MCAT 34

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goldygoph

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I am concerned about my sGPA. Ochem/physics brought me down (got B and B+), but I have done well in all my bio classes (Genetics major).

Here are a list of ECs to help:

Scribe for inpatient psychiatry (underserved population) - 1 year
TA for introductory biology course - 2 years
Study abroad program in India (winter break)
Hospital Internship at NHS hospital in London - semester
Volunteer with BMT patients at children's hospital - 6 months
Volunteer at reading program with underserved populations - 1 year
Genomics research - 1.5 years (2 papers pending)

Just wondering what my chances are for the following schools (MN/WA residency) and what would be good reach schools for me

Georgetown
George Washington
Loyola
Rush
Rosalind Franklin
Boston University
Tufts
Minnesota (resident)
Creighton
Albany
New York Medical
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
University of Washington (qualify as a resident by residency office at UW)

Possible reach schools I am considering
Brown
Mayo (Mainly because I live in MN)
Cornell
Dartmouth

Members don't see this ad.

I have almost exactly your stats (slightly higher GPA, same MCAT) and was accepted at Rush and Jefferson, of the places you listed, and I withdrew from a bunch of the others listed because Jeff was one of my top choices (I'm from PA). I got waitlisted at Georgetown, Tufts, and GWU, withdrew before interviewing at Drexel, and got an interview at Emory as well that I haven't heard back from.

I would add SLU to this list since you've already got Georgetown, Creighton, and Loyola. If you're super nervous, you should add a DO school or two (I was accepted at PCOM as well) as insurance. Your list looks fairly similar to mine, and everywhere told me my stats would give me options, so I would say just focus on writing your primary and secondaries well and you should be fine.

As regards your sGPA, I would say don't sweat the B/B+. I got a B- in Orgo II, two Bs in Physics, and have no research experience to speak of and still have multiple acceptances. YMMV, of course, but none of those "weaknesses" ever came up in an interview. Good luck!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Do you have any hobbies/non-med school related ECs? Keep in mid that Mayo likes to pick a diverse class with its students representing different types of socioeconomic class, life experiences, etc.

It's a good list. Dump the reach schools, and add some more low-tiers, and you're fine. Suggest SLU and MCW

Georgetown
George Washington
Loyola
Rush
Rosalind Franklin
Boston University
Tufts
Minnesota (resident)
Creighton
Albany
New York Medical
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
University of Washington (qualify as a resident by residency office at UW)

Possible reach schools I am considering
Brown
Mayo (Mainly because I live in MN)
Cornell
Dartmouth[/quote]

Just to provide a counterpoint, before I applied this cycle, I dropped a few of my reaches, which I now regret terribly after receiving so many interviews. I took myself out of the running before the fact, and now I'll never know. Yes, I did get in to some great schools that I loved, but I would err on the side of applying to more of my reaches if I had to do it all again.

Last edited:
Tutoring/TA are my main non-medical EC. I also play piano as a hobby, but it really isnt an EC.

And thanks for the advice, will help me when I apply this year!