MD 3.7 cGPA/3.6 sGPA/517 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NatGeo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am planning on submitting an Allopathic application next summer.

A bit about me: I graduated in 2014 with a degree in Biology, concentration in Education Science, cum laude. My graduating cGPA was 3.65/3.43 sGPA. I enrolled at Oregon State University and took 25 credits of post-bacc science courses, and now sit at a 3.70 c/3.60 s. Also, during my junior year of college (2013), I took the MCAT and scored a 23. I then studied for over a year (Aug 14-May 15) and took the new MCAT and score a 517 (95th Percentile -- equivalent to a 35).

Specifics about who I am: I am a Virginia resident, attended University here and grew up in the state. After graduation, I worked for a year as a Chemistry & Physics teacher at the middle school level. I then completed a cartography internship with the National Geographic in Washington D.C. and was hired on as a staff cartographer this past summer. I now live in London and make maps for Nat Geo. However, to be stateside during my application cycle, I will have to forgo this position. Through the recruiting process at my University, I was hired on as a Business Technology Analyst at Deloitte starting August, 2016. This is what I will be doing for a year before hopefully matriculating to Medical School.

My volunteering experiences: I've volunteered at my local hospital for 4 years, accumulating a bunch of hours. I also have shadowed two physicians. Outside of medicine, I've been the sponsor of two clubs at my middle school, and coached a team. In London, I work at a women's shelter on the weekends.

Where I would really like to go: UVA

Chances?

Members don't see this ad.

I would definitely advise not being set on one school because you're never guaranteed an interview/acceptance anywhere no matter what your stats are, so you should still apply to many more schools. Your chances should be pretty good for many low+mid tier schools. You might not be as competitive for higher tier schools since you don't have research (unless Business Technology Analyst is considered research?). You should definitely apply to UVA as you a little less then their median MCAT/GPAs. Since you are applying next summer, I would definitely get involved in research as soon as possible that way you can list it in your application.

Last edited:
You'll be competitive at UVA. But so will tons of other applicants. And tons of them won't even get a II. Hopefully you can see where I am getting at; it's stupid to set your sights on one school, particularly one with a 3.8/35 median stat group.

WedgeDawg is a VA resident and has some good insight about UVA. But I'd imagine he'll tell you the same thing; you are competitive but that is hardly any kind of sure thing and you need a good list.

If you are asking for school list my advice is you have a good base of "safeties" with Eastern Virginia and VCU. Add a couple more lower tiers and sprinkle in some medium tiers. For Medium tiers, Hofstra, Case Western, Rochester, Einstein, Emory and USC come to mind. Finally, you can put in some of those big name top 20 schools. A list of your state universities, half dozen or so OOS lower tiers, 3-5 of those medium tier types I listed and a half dozen or so(maybe a hair more) reaches would be a solid list of 20 schools in your shoes.

Reactions: 1 user
No research experience????

I suggest the following:

U VM

U Toledo (maybe)

Miami

St. Louis

Albany

Albert Einstein

Rochester

Rush

Rosy Franklin

NYMC

EVMS

Wake Forest

Jefferson

Temple

Drexel

Creighton

Tulane

Dartmouth

Loyola

USF Morsani

Emory

BU

Any new MD school, especially Hofstra. Skip Central MI and the three new FL schools. I can't recommend CNU.

Your state school(s).

I am planning on submitting an Allopathic application next summer.

A bit about me: I graduated in 2014 with a degree in Biology, concentration in Education Science, cum laude. My graduating cGPA was 3.65/3.43 sGPA. I enrolled at Oregon State University and took 25 credits of post-bacc science courses, and now sit at a 3.70 c/3.60 s. Also, during my junior year of college (2013), I took the MCAT and scored a 23. I then studied for over a year (Aug 14-May 15) and took the new MCAT and score a 517 (95th Percentile -- equivalent to a 35).

Specifics about who I am: I am a Virginia resident, attended University here and grew up in the state. After graduation, I worked for a year as a Chemistry & Physics teacher at the middle school level. I then completed a cartography internship with the National Geographic in Washington D.C. and was hired on as a staff cartographer this past summer. I now live in London and make maps for Nat Geo. However, to be stateside during my application cycle, I will have to forgo this position. Through the recruiting process at my University, I was hired on as a Business Technology Analyst at Deloitte starting August, 2016. This is what I will be doing for a year before hopefully matriculating to Medical School.

My volunteering experiences: I've volunteered at my local hospital for 4 years, accumulating a bunch of hours. I also have shadowed two physicians. Outside of medicine, I've been the sponsor of two clubs at my middle school, and coached a team. In London, I work at a women's shelter on the weekends.

Where I would really like to go: UVA

Chances?

Reactions: 1 user