3.7 cGPA, 3.77 sGPA, 36 MCAT, CA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

slippytoad

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
EC:
- 3 years of Research
- 300+ hrs of community service
- 1 summer of "shadowing"/ service at clinic in Philippines

School list:

USC
Stanford
UC Davis
UC Irvine
UCLA
UCSD
UCSF
Yale
Northwestern
UoChicago
JHU
Harvard
UoMichigan
Mayo
WashUStL
Albert Einstein
Columbia
Mt Sinai
NYU
Cornell
Duke
Case Western
U Penn
U Pitt
Vanderbilt
U Virginia
U Wisconsin
Boston U

I think this is too many and top heavy. Suggestions? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Just based off numbers alone, you are competitive for all these schools, but I would take out some of the top tier ones and replace them with mid/tiers and a couple of safeties.

We also don't know how your ECs are. Your MCAT is strong, but your GPA is on the lower range for many of these schools (yeah it's hard to believe isn't it?).

Thanks Lamel. What do you think of the following for mid/safeties?

Oregon HSU
Ohio State U
Dartmouth
Wake Forest
Iowa U
Minnesota
U of Maryland
Georgetown
U of Nebraska
Indiana U
Wisconsin School of Med
U of Alabama

Members don't see this ad :)
Many of these have a strong regional preference that does not include CA (OHSU, AL, NE). Others may find your MCAT too rich for their taste (MCW, Wake). GT gets 12k+ aps and unless they think you prefer them for some reason, chances for an interview are small.

Which schools/states are more friendly to OOS applicants? Also, how many points difference is too rich? >3?

Which schools/states are more friendly to OOS applicants? Also, how many points difference is too rich? >3?

Private schools won't have as much (if any) in-state bias. You should look at MSAR and the OOS vs. IS stats to determine which schools are worth applying to.

Reactions: 1 user
So I should focus more on % of matriculates that are OOS vs % of OOS that matriculate? (I've been doing it the other way around)

So I should focus more on % of matriculates that are OOS vs % of OOS that matriculate? (I've been doing it the other way around)
the latter says more about the preferences of the OOS students that are accepted. The former speaks more to the tastes of the med school.

I volunteered at a hospital, doing outpatient work for ~4 years and shadowed a physician for a few weeks; both back in high school. Does that count?

you haven't done anything with a hospital in 4 years......?

you are bound to get into at least one medical with those scores and all that volunteer work, research, and extracurriculars. Just apply to a couple of safe schools, just in case. and don't be too cocky during interviews and you are in.

you are bound to get into at least one medical with those scores and all that volunteer work, research, and extracurriculars. Just apply to a couple of safe schools, just in case. and don't be too cocky during interviews and you are in.
Thanks for the encouragement!

This could be trouble in committee. Though you'll still get plenty of interviews.
That's somewhat good to hear. I am definitely looking to work or do some volunteer work at a hospital during this gap.

Here's a slightly revised mid/safety schools:
Tufts
Boston U
Dartmouth
Rochester
Temple
tOSU
Tulane
St Louis U
Albert Einstein
U Wisconsin
Vermont