3.7 GPA 32 MCAT reapplicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

westfield

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys! This is going to be my second time applying to med school after a two-year gap. I'm also in that typical anxious state, and really want to know if I actually have a chance this time around. Please give me your honest advice, thanks a lot!

So this is the situation for my first time application:
1. 3.69 GPA, 31 MCAT (13/7/11= PS/V/BS)
2. downward trend GPA
3. ~100 hours of clinical hours
4. no shadowing
5. minimal research (summer internship)
6. ~300 hours of some student organization activities
7 ~100 hours of community volunteer hours

In general, I felt that I wasn't really prepared. I had doubts and was struggling to raise my GPA. I did submit my app in June and had most of my secondaries done by July/August. I applied to ~30 schools but did not apply broadly. I'm a California resident so applying to state schools didn't help much. I did not get any interviews.

Here are my stats now:
1. 3.75 GPA, 32MCAT (12/8/12= PS/V/BS)
2. raised my dropping GPA back up
3. ~500 hours of clinical hours
4. no shadowing
5. 1 year research position
7. ~100 hours of community volunteer hours

I was able to get all A's during my final year in college. The new MCAT score worries me though, since there wasn't a significant improvement. Also, my verbal score is still low. On the other hand, I did research and more hospital volunteering. I also definitely feel prepared this time. I know I still want to go into medicine and this is the right field for me.

That being said, I want to know if my new stats could realistically give me a shot at getting in med school. If yes, then which schools still I apply to?

Thanks!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Apply to at least 10 DO schools and you should receive at least one acceptance.
For MD consider these schools:
Quinnipiac
Vermont
Hofstra
New York Medical College
Albany
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Commonwealth (PA)
GW
Georgetown
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Loyola
Rush
Rosalind Franklin
St. Louis
Creighton
Tulane
Any new private MD schools that open in 2016
Your CA schools

Apply to at least 10 DO schools and you should receive at least one acceptance.
For MD consider these schools:
Quinnipiac
Vermont
Hofstra
New York Medical College
Albany
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Commonwealth (PA)
GW
Georgetown
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Loyola
Rush
Rosalind Franklin
St. Louis
Creighton
Tulane
Any new private MD schools that open in 2016
Your CA schools

Thanks a lot!!! Appreciate your help!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys! This is going to be my second time applying to med school after a two-year gap. I'm also in that typical anxious state, and really want to know if I actually have a chance this time around. Please give me your honest advice, thanks a lot!

So this is the situation for my first time application:
1. 3.69 GPA, 31 MCAT (13/7/11= PS/V/BS)
2. downward trend GPA
3. ~100 hours of clinical hours
4. no shadowing
5. minimal research (summer internship)
7 ~100 hours of community volunteer hours

In general, I felt that I wasn't really prepared. I had doubts and was struggling to raise my GPA. I did submit my app in June and had most of my secondaries done by July/August. I applied to ~30 schools but did not apply broadly. I'm a California resident so applying to state schools didn't help much. I did not get any interviews.

Here are my stats now:
1. 3.75 GPA, 32MCAT (12/8/12= PS/V/BS)
2. raised my dropping GPA back up
3. ~500 hours of clinical hours
4. no shadowing
5. 1 year research position
7. ~100 hours of community volunteer hours

I was able to get all A's during my final year in college. The new MCAT score worries me though, since there wasn't a significant improvement. Also, my verbal score is still low. On the other hand, I did research and more hospital volunteering. I also definitely feel prepared this time. I know I still want to go into medicine and this is the right field for me.

That being said, I want to know if my new stats could realistically give me a shot at getting in med school. If yes, then which schools still I apply to?

Thanks!!!!
how do you know, having never shadowed? given your 2 year layoff, there's really no excuse for not having shadowed

you're essentailly the same applicant as 2 years ago. assuming no red flags and a realistic school list, you have a good shot for some interviews

Last edited:
how do you know, having never shadowed? given your 2 year layoff, there's really no excise for not having shadowed

you're essentailly the same applicant as 2 years ago. assuming no red flags and a realistic school list, you have a good shot for some interviews

I agree with Vain, and to be honest, I'm a little concerned. How did you go two years and not having shadowed? Having done a fair number of interviews, I'd REALLY be concerned.

Also, it seems like you spent the past two years just doing nothing other than trying to improve your gpa, and more clinical hours, but i think its helpful at least to mention what you did instead of 'clinical hours.' That to me, feels no different than joe blow who clocks in, and clocks out as a volunteer compared to one who really gives a 5h1t.

Agree with the school lists. I'd encourage you to reflect on your experiences to make your app stronger when you write your essays. (hopefully you are introspective enough)

Why haven't you shadowed? You've had 2 years OP, surely you could've set something up by now. Get it done.