3.7 gpa 33 mcat - need help with school list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aflac0421

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My list is pretty fat and I need some help cutting/adding or replacing schools on my list.

I have a 3.7 cGPA and 3.6 sGPA with a 33 mcat (10 ps, 11 vr, 12 bs). ~ Cali resident

I have 4 years of volunteering experience in the hospital, a summer internship in an organic chem lab and a year of volunteering in a hospice and a year of tutoring for at-risk kids. Plus I've shadowed doctors randomly here and there.

I am a reapplicant (last year I applied late with a 29) so I'm hoping this year turns out better for me. I am looking into D.O schools but I want this thread to be about M.D. schools only.

UCLA
UC Irvine
UC Davis
USC
Jefferson
Drexel
Temple
NYMC
Buffalo
EVMS
Scranton
VCU – Richmond
Creighton
Tulane
Loyola
Rush
Rosalind Franklin
University of Illinois at Chicago
George Washington University
University of Vermont
Michigan State University
Medical College of Wisconsin
Penn State
Albany
Toledo
Saint Louis University
SUNY Brooklyn

UCLA and USC are a big reach for me but I want to give it a shot since I really want to stay in LA. Nevertheless, this list is pretty hefty so I was wondering if any of the schools I've listed aren't reasonable for me to apply to (or should be replaced by something else?)

I feel like I'm missing a few schools that may be easier to get into (although all schools are pretty damn competitive) or accept a high % of OOS. Should I consider adding schools like Oakland, University of Miami, Wayne?

Furthermore, I would really like to be in a city so I was wondering if there were perhaps any schools within my range that might be worth applying to?

Members don't see this ad.

bump?

I'm realizing that 27 schools may be too many secondaries for me (considering how painful it was to do 25 last year). I'm thinking I should switch out a few schools here and there.

Last edited:
My thoughts?

Cut the ones you wouldn't go to. You've got a great GPA, and great MCAT.

Work it out. Unless you really like places like Toledo, then don't apply. ~20 schools should be fine. But I think you could be fine with 15 potentially.

Only you can determine where you want to apply. Just think, can you spend 4 years in Toledo, and then potentially another 3-5 if you get a residency there?

Especially if you want to stay in an around LA...

Members don't see this ad :)
My stats are similar to yours, tell me if you got in.

My stats are similar to yours. I applied late this cycle and still got in even though I only applied to nine schools. I think you've got a great shot. I would definitely add Miami and like Codeblu said, drop Toledo unless you're in love with the area. Also I'd recommend applying to USF and UCF. 25% OOS acceptance rates, great schools and $30 secondary fees.

My stats are similar to yours. I applied late this cycle and still got in even though I only applied to nine schools. I think you've got a great shot. I would definitely add Miami and like Codeblu said, drop Toledo unless you're in love with the area. Also I'd recommend applying to USF and UCF. 25% OOS acceptance rates, great schools and $30 secondary fees.

How late did you apply. Most send their application out in June. Did you send it in August like I will be?

How late did you apply. Most send their application out in June. Did you send it in August like I will be?
Yeah I submitted in the middle of August. I would recommend submitting sooner if you can. Why are you waiting till then?

edit: realized was an old thread resuscitated

Last edited:

Do you know if those florida schools allow OOS students to obtain IS residency for cheaper tuition for years 2-4?

Yeah I submitted in the middle of August. I would recommend submitting sooner if you can. Why are you waiting till then?

Long story, completely different thread, but the summary is with all the courses I'm taking this semester I wont have time to adequately prep for a may MCAT. July MACT and august application Is my best bet.

Long story, completely different thread, but the summary is with all the courses I'm taking this semester I wont have time to adequately prep for a may MCAT. July MACT and august application Is my best bet.
Why not submit your primary app in late June or early July? Verification will take about 6-8 weeks so you'll have your MCAT score by the time you're verified.

Michigan State isn't super OOS friendly with just about 13% of their class coming from out of state. Also, just note that U of Illinois is $74k/year for OOS - I know that's prohibitive for some, so it's good to note.

Maybe look in to adding Hofstra and Wake Forest? Both are mid-tier private.

Why not submit your primary app in late June or early July? Verification will take about 6-8 weeks so you'll have your MCAT score by the time you're verified.

Is that what you did? Did it make a much bigger difference?

Is that what you did? Did it make a much bigger difference?
It's what I should have done. I got lucky with my acceptance because I applied so late. I recommend just applying to one school on your primary app to start off, then add more when you get your score back. Verification is pain, but less so if you apply early.

It's what I should have done. I got lucky with my acceptance because I applied so late. I recommend just applying to one school on your primary app to start off, then add more when you get your score back. Verification is pain, but less so if you apply early.[/quote
Thank you. But why do you recommend just 1?

It's what I should have done. I got lucky with my acceptance because I applied so late. I recommend just applying to one school on your primary app to start off, then add more when you get your score back. Verification is pain, but less so if you apply early.

Sorry. But why just one lol

Sorry. But why just one lol
Haha well you can apply to as many as you'd like if you're confident you will do well on your first MCAT. Most people however are not as optimistic and would want to make sure their score is good before they have med schools see it. Also, it would be wise to adjust your list of schools based on your MCAT score. I'm sure whatever you do will work out best for you. Good luck with the cycle and well done getting this far!

Reactions: 1 user
Haha well you can apply to as many as you'd like if you're confident you will do well on your first MCAT. Most people however are not as optimistic and would want to make sure their score is good before they have med schools see it. Also, it would be wise to adjust your list of schools based on your MCAT score. I'm sure whatever you do will work out best for you. Good luck with the cycle and well done getting this far!

Thank you for all your help. I appreciate it immensely. We pre-meds have to stick together.

Thank you for all your help. I appreciate it immensely. We pre-meds have to stick together.
Haha woops I had forgotten you had already taken and got a 33. I'm sure your list above will get you >1 acceptance assuming you interview well.