MD 3.7 GPA, 36 MCAT, URM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SalsaCA

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Long time lurker, first time poster. I need help with my school list.

3.77 cGPA, 3.71 sGPA, 36 MCAT (13/11/12)
California Resident
URM, first-generation college graduate applicant
Graduated Cum Laude, honors in major, and with an honors thesis
I'm expecting three excellent LOR and 2 good ones

ECs: (sorry about the mess, ill try and organize them later.)
*= most meaningful

1) *Hospital Volunteering* ( jr in high school- summer before soph at uni) 320 hours, volunteered across many departments, lots of patient interaction

2) *Science Club* ( all undergrad, 4 yrs)-multiple leadership positions during all 4 years, offered free tutoring, seminars, and created a program with undeserved elementary school to promote sciences

3) Lab Assistant, Paid ( 1 year)-soph year, was basically a lab monkey

4)Summer Research Program at UCSF (summer before jr year)

5) *Honors Research Fellowship* ( jr and sr year)- at home university, paid for tuition and gave me a monthly stipend. Presented my research at 6 times, one abstract, and one publication

6) Shadowing (80 hours, over 2 years) family med, pediatrician, anesthesiologist, and 2 surgeons.

7)* Sustainability*- I have a lot of EC's and classes relating to sustainability. Volunteering in a community garden for undeserved families, taking many environmental classes, and interning in sustainability office on campus.

8) Fitness (all 4 yrs) Run marathons, half-marathons, 10k's, swim, surf, and bike. I'm pretty active haha

9) Holistic Health Program (2 yrs)-Was part of a holistic health program. Learned several massage methods, acupuncture, etc. Lots of fun, really relaxing

10) Minority Research Club (2 yrs)- had a leadership position, basically talked about research and research opportunities that were offered at our school.

My current list:
all CA MD schools minus Loma Linda
Mt. Sinai
Baylor
Emory
Northwestern
Pritzker
Boston U
Johns Hopkins
NYMC
Drexel
Vanderbilt

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
All your ECs look great. I'm not very experienced, so I can't really help you with your list, but I would agree with Beth_W737 about MSAR if you haven't already purchased it.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm looking at the MSAR now. Thanks for the help!

Reactions: 1 user
Personally, I.would remove NYMC and Drexel. They may screen you out due to your high stats. I would replace them with some midtiers like Rochester, Dartmouth, and Einstein. You have a great app!

Personally, I.would remove NYMC and Drexel. They may screen you out due to your high stats. I would replace them with some midtiers like Rochester, Dartmouth, and Einstein. You have a great app!

Thanks! I was thinking the same thing after looking at the MSAR. I'm removing both and adding Dartmouth.
I'm thinking my list will be :

all CA MD schools minus Loma Linda and UCR
Mt. Sinai
Baylor
Emory
Northwestern
Pritzker
Boston U
Johns Hopkins
Dartmouth
Vanderbilt

How does this list look?

Just to be safe I would add one or two mid tier, just because admissions can be a crapshoot, despite having great stats. Goro may be able to suggest additional schools