3.72 cGPA, 3.60 sGPA, 33 MCAT, confused reapplicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DMVRaised

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated in 2014 with a B.S. in Biology with a concentration in Microbiology. This was a track program in Education. My GPAs and MCAT scores were pretty weak when I graduated. For reference, I graduated from George Mason University. After graduating, I started Teach for America in inner-DC public schools, and started living in D.C. I've now attended UDC (University of District of Columbia) for a year. Mostly because it was dirt cheap for me, about 4K total for my entire DIY Post-bacc. Now, this is a urban land-grant University, grants an associates, bachelors, and master's degree. It's no Harvard, and I am worried I will be looked down upon for that.

Anyways, I've done 32 credits at UDC, completed a second degree in Biology (didn't intend too, kind of just got it, and then graduated?). Anyways, these 32 credits were all 4.0. That bumped my cGPA from a 3.62 to a 3.72, and my sGPA from a 3.40 to a 3.60.

During this time, I also worked extensively on my MCAT. I took it in Undergrad (for some stupid reason, I thought that taking it after my prereqs was wise, and I was all knowing, which I was NOT), and got a 22. I retook the MCAT last year and earned a 33 -- balanced 11/11/11.

My PS is heavily based on my teaching experiences in TFA. Additionally, I've been a research associate at the NIH for 4 years, with 2 publications. I am planning to apply strategically to about 5 MD/PhD schools.

EC's: President of Botany Club, President of Science Educators, Parent-Teacher Association Science Representative for DCPS
Research: Extensive
LOR's: Very strong, 2 Research PI's, 2 Science Professors, 1 Non-Science
Volunteering: HIV Aids Counselor for about 2 years, 400 Hours volunteering in Hospital, Food Desert Committee Organizer for Anacostia-DC, On weekends I'm a Bingo Caller at the Old home near my apartment

Question #1: Good fit for MD admissions this cycle?
Question #2: Why did I get rejected last cycle?

Last cycle, I applied with a 3.68 cGPA, 3.55 sGPA, 33 MCAT. I took the MCAT in June, and my application was verified in early August. I applied to 10 schools because I thought I had a late application (1 in-state, 3 MD/PhD, and 6 other MD's).

Members don't see this ad.

I can imagine 7 schools where this application would have been sufficient for a few interviews in a good state. Is your state of residence one of them?
I'm a Virginia Resident, and I applied to EVMS. Nothing last cycle!

I checked again and my date of verification was August 17th

Members don't see this ad :)
You may need to cast a larger net for next cycle. Planning on applying to only five schools feels unnecessarily risky. I'm not saying you need to shotgun method your primary(20+ application style), but maybe consider looking into applying to more strategic schools.

I'm a Virginia Resident, and I applied to EVMS. Nothing last cycle!

I checked again and my date of verification was August 17th
Virginia matriculates just 20.8% of its IS applicants, the lowest in the South.
Last year that amounts to 268 of 1,291.
You need a list that includes at least a dozen schools that might interview you.
Would you care to share your list? Just the MD's. MD/PhD programs are much more difficult to get into (and assess for fit!).

Virginia matriculates just 20.8% of its IS applicants, the lowest in the South.
Last year that amounts to 268 of 1,291.
You need a list that includes at least a dozen schools that might interview you.
Would you care to share your list? Just the MD's. MD/PhD programs are much more difficult to get into (and assess for fit!).
Yes, I've always been saddened by that, because I do love Virginia. I actually considered moving to Texas last year to take a teaching position just to gain residency, but it never panned out! No, not at all.

1. Loyola Stricht (Reapplicant)
2. EVMS (Reapplicant)
3. Tulane (Reapplicant)
4. Commonwealth (Reapplicant)
5. Albany (Reapplicant)
6. USC Keck (Reapplicant)

7. SLU
8. Tufts
9. Boston
10. George Washington
11. Georgetown
12. Vermont
13. Howard (I've done research there...and there is a preference for District Residents)
14. Penn State
15. NYMC
16. Florida Atlantic
17. Miami
18. Creighton
19. University of Illinois
20. Rosalind Franklin
21. Virginia Commonwealth University

In addition, I'm applying to 9 MD/PhD programs, mostly MSTP (One of which is my state school UVA).

Add a few more schools such as Drexel, Temple, Jefferson, Hofstra, Quinnipiac, Oakland Beaumont and Western Michigan.

You have to work on the self-esteem. You're a great candidate. Forget MD/PhD.

My list:

1. Loyola Stricht (Reapplicant)
2. EVMS (Reapplicant)
3. Tulane (Reapplicant)
4. Commonwealth (Reapplicant)
5. Albany (Reapplicant)
6. USC Keck (Reapplicant)
7. SLU
8. Tufts
9. Boston
10. George Washington
11. Georgetown
12. Vermont
15. NYMC
16. Florida Atlantic
17. Miami
18. Creighton
20. Rosalind Franklin
21. Virginia Commonwealth University
Va Tech, Hofstra and all other new schools (except Central MI)
Dartmouth.
Emory
Wake Forest
MCW
The Philly Triplets

USC has a preference for CA residents, despite them being a private school.

USC has a preference for CA residents, despite them being a private school.
The only CA schools with a preference for CA residents are UCR and to some extent UCD.
An excess in CA matriculants is due to the enormous excess of qualified CA applicants who would prefer to stay in CA.

Reactions: 1 user