3.72 cumGPA, 3.69 sciGPA, 34 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stephanpo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
First time applicant from a state school.
Extracurriculars include: 3 years neuroscience research (2 publications, 1 first author), member of university sports team (it was a club sport, not varsity club sport) (2 year), treasurer for public health club (1year), mentor at risk youth (2.5 years), youth sports team assistant coach (2 years), youth sports team head coach (1 year), volunteered at 2 hospitals (cum of 400 hours), member of nonprofit helping at risk youth and people affected by HIV (2.5 years), shadowed trauma surgeon (50hrs), started tutoring business (1 year), involved in various HIV and public health committees (1 year).

Also, I'm taking a gap year to travel to Germany for 5 months and hopefully become fluent in German (took it in high school and have family friends in Germany)

Took the MCAT twice: 28,34
3.72 cumGPA, 3.69 sciGPA

Looking to apply to top tier MD schools.
Any advice/what do you guys think my odds are?

Members don't see this ad.

For this cycle, you are late, but for next cycle, you have a very very high chance of getting accepted.

It is up to you to decide whether it is too late or not.

For this cycle, you are late, but for next cycle, you have a very very high chance of getting accepted.

It is up to you to decide whether it is too late or not.

SGU ms-1 expert on top 20 applications, interviews and acceptances? Not saying the op won't get in but a definite yes answer seems foolish.

Members don't see this ad :)
SGU ms-1 expert on top 20 applications, interviews and acceptances? Not saying the op won't get in but a definite yes answer seems foolish.

Actually, I spent about a year internalizing the application stats vs acceptance rates vs average EC's of applicants. You should realize that from my number of posts on just this WAMC board alone. So, yeah, I'm an expert on chart recall ;)

The SGU-MS-1 is there to goad pre-meds like you into making me giggle.

Thanks for the input Morsetlis. I will definitely be applying next cycle..Are there any aspects of my application that I could improve on? I would really like to go to a top 25 school.

Anyone else have any advice?

Are there any aspects of my application that I could improve on? I would really like to go to a top 25 school.

Anyone else have any advice?
Consider shadowing an office-based primary care doc for at least 8 hours to get a view of medicine from the trenches.

Any other leisuretime activies, like hobbies or Arts involvement?

Otherwise, your ECs are looking good.

Be sure to time the trip to Germany so that you don't end up spending a fortune coming back to attend interviews.

Any chance your BCPM GPA will be higher by the time you apply? Are your MCAT subscores balanced?

good lord what a douche.

Consider shadowing an office-based primary care doc for at least 8 hours to get a view of medicine from the trenches.

Any other leisuretime activies, like hobbies or Arts involvement?

Otherwise, your ECs are looking good.

Be sure to time the trip to Germany so that you don't end up spending a fortune coming back to attend interviews.

Any chance your BCPM GPA will be higher by the time you apply? Are your MCAT subscores balanced?
Thank you for the advice! My MCAT was balances (11p,11v,12b) and I might possibly be able to get both my GPAs up to 3.74cum and 3.70bcpm, but I would have to take a few extra classes..would the improvement from 3.72/3.69 to 3.74/3.70 be worth all the extra hard work?

Thank you for the advice! My MCAT was balances (11p,11v,12b) and I might possibly be able to get both my GPAs up to 3.74cum and 3.70bcpm, but I would have to take a few extra classes..would the improvement from 3.72/3.69 to 3.74/3.70 be worth all the extra hard work?
Only if you want the best pssible shot at "top schools." And only if you can get As in all of them.