MD 3.72c/3.6s/35 Schoolteacher

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jstopinskimed

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm applying this year to (30) schools. I've explained a bit about my app, and listed the schools I am applying to below, please let me know if I stand a good chance of acceptance at any of them!

2014 - Graduated with a B.Sc. in Biology, concentration in K-12 Teacher Studies. cGPA: 3.65, sGPA: 3.47, MCAT: 22

2014-2015: Completed a post-bacc at Oregon State U in Corvallis, 4.0/4.0. Raised cGPA: 3.72, sGPA: 3.60. MCAT: 35.

2015 - Forward: Currently in Application cycle. Attending Cornell University, pursuing an M.Eng. in Environmental Engineering. Full tuition institutional scholarship. So far, of the 8 credits over the summer 4.0/4.0.

Work Experience
  • 2015-2016: Summer Research Fellow for JFK studying disparities of the Pakistani national and Pakistani diaspora experience. Traveled to Norway, Denmark, and Pakistan to collect experiences for my monograph. Currently working as a Statistics TA at Cornell, teach 2 Lab courses.
  • 2014-2015: Health Research Intern at National Sleep Foundation & 8th Grade Physical Science Teacher (First full-time job)
  • 2012-2013: Critical Language Scholar & Researcher in Malang, Indonesia.
  • 2011-2012 : Research Teaching Assistant. Co-taught Biostats courses in undergrad, and did education research based on my students performance.
Volunteering Experience
  • English Conversation Group Leader
  • Teen Guitar Class Instructor
  • Robotics Team School Co-Sponsor
  • Girl's Junior Varsity Basketball Assistant Coach

Research/Publications
  • Education study published during undergrad in Journal of Statistics Education
  • National Sleep Foundation Project currently under review at large publication
  • Monograph published by National Endowment for the Arts
Medical Volunteering
  • Health Volunteer in Darfur for ~2 weeks for United Muslim Relief
  • Health Volunteer in Haiti for ~2 weeks for United Muslim Relief
  • Shadowed (2) Physicians
  • Volunteered at local Emergency Room for ~400 Hrs
School List
  1. University of Virginia
  2. Virginia Commonwealth University
  3. Virginia Tech Carillion
  4. Eastern Virginia Medical School
  5. Geisel Med @dartmouth
  6. Rochester
  7. Wake Forest
  8. Georgetown
  9. Marshall University
  10. Pittsburgh
  11. Medical College of Wisconsin
  12. Albert Einstein
  13. Vermont
  14. USF Morsani
  15. Duke
  16. University of Illinois
  17. Columbia
  18. George Washington
  19. Tufts
  20. Oakland Beaumont
  21. Mt. Sinai Icahn
  22. NYMC
  23. Chicago (dream school)
  24. Frank Netter
  25. Vanderbilt
  26. Temple
  27. Tulane
  28. Case Western
  29. Cornell
  30. Emory

Members don't see this ad.

That's probably one of the better MCAT improvements in the entire country honestly so shout out to that first off. You went from someone who may very well have been out of luck at DO schools to being competitive at some of the big top 20 names in about a year.

What's your state of residence? Don't bother with Marshall USF Illinois if you aren't in state for them. As for the rest of the list it looks good. You'll be out of luck for the schools that average MCATs(although a 3.7/29 could work at some of those lower tiers) but the consensus amongst ADCOMs here seems to be many dont including the top schools so for those you'll certainly be competitive. Make sure to add any state schools if you haven't.

You have a pretty interesting application, and this list is probably fine for you. Just have all your state schools added.

Members don't see this ad :)
How did you go from a BS in Biology to being in a graduate program in Enviro Engineering?

Out of curiosity.

My state is Virginia

And most Chem/bio/enviro engineering programs accept students with a science bachelors ... Regardless of discipline. But I did have to take 3 math courses at imperial college London prior to matriculating to Cornell whereas engineering undergrads did not. No biggie, diff eq is fun!

My state is Virginia

And most Chem/bio/enviro engineering programs accept students with a science bachelors ... Regardless of discipline. But I did have to take 3 math courses at imperial college London prior to matriculating to Cornell whereas engineering undergrads did not. No biggie, diff eq is fun!

Your list looks good then. Obviously your chances will be highest at Eastern Virginia and VCU(I think Eastern VA interviews around 30% of IS applicants and VCU somewhere arouned 40%) but like I said above you could be competitive with those bigger names; alot of it will could come down to how they view the multiple MCAT attempts(and I don't think it'll be a big issue for many of them). UVA is also very much in play for state school options.

Reactions: 1 user
You're a rock; aim high. I would replace U IL with BU, Keck, Hofstra, U Miami or UCSF (yes, UCSF!)

School List
  1. University of Virginia
  2. Virginia Commonwealth University
  3. Virginia Tech Carillion
  4. Eastern Virginia Medical School
  5. Geisel Med
  6. Rochester
  7. Wake Forest
  8. Georgetown
  9. Marshall University
  10. Pittsburgh
  11. Medical College of Wisconsin