3.73c GPA, ECs make me feel like I'm a subpar applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aj7259

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm currently a junior majoring in molecular and cellular biology and minoring in chemistry and Spanish. My cGPA is 3.73, very strong upward trend (I got a C+ in intro molecular bio.... Worried that will really hurt me) but got a 4.0 this semester with advanced courses and a 3.82 last semester.

I am a new member educator and scholarship chair of my sorority. Involved in research in the chemistry department of my university (the chemistry department is in top 5 in the country and highly competitive to be a part of - not sure if that will matter), an assistant volunteer coordinator at the hospital where I'm in charge of a group of volunteers and do rounds on patients to get feedback on their stay. I also work as a hostess/waitress during my school breaks.

50 hours volunteering in convalescent center
50 hours volunteering in pediatrics
50 hours volunteering in ED
(Still volunteering this next semester)

I plan on running my second half marathon this spring.
I am also fluent in German.

I know the MCAT will make or break me, I just feel like my ECs are nothing special and I am a very subpar applicant and want to make sure that my ECs are sufficient and won't hold me back if I do end up scoring in the competitive range. Any advice on what to do these last couple months? I plan on applying in June.

Members don't see this ad.

Your time should be dedicated to the MCAT if you are taking it in the near future. I wouldnt dilute my time so close to a the test date.

Reactions: 1 user
You're doing fine. I recommend getting off campus and out of your comfort zone for some non-clinical ECs to show off your altruism, especially towards those in greater need of yourself. Don't forget to shadow as well.

Hi everyone,

I'm currently a junior majoring in molecular and cellular biology and minoring in chemistry and Spanish. My cGPA is 3.73, very strong upward trend (I got a C+ in intro molecular bio.... Worried that will really hurt me) but got a 4.0 this semester with advanced courses and a 3.82 last semester.

I am a new member educator and scholarship chair of my sorority. Involved in research in the chemistry department of my university (the chemistry department is in top 5 in the country and highly competitive to be a part of - not sure if that will matter), an assistant volunteer coordinator at the hospital where I'm in charge of a group of volunteers and do rounds on patients to get feedback on their stay. I also work as a hostess/waitress during my school breaks.

50 hours volunteering in convalescent center
50 hours volunteering in pediatrics
50 hours volunteering in ED
(Still volunteering this next semester)

I plan on running my second half marathon this spring.
I am also fluent in German.

I know the MCAT will make or break me, I just feel like my ECs are nothing special and I am a very subpar applicant and want to make sure that my ECs are sufficient and won't hold me back if I do end up scoring in the competitive range. Any advice on what to do these last couple months? I plan on applying in June.