3.74 cGPA/3.7 sGPA 31 MCAT: Another Final School List!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stillworking93

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Deleted

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
And I was wondering if adding Canadian/schools in Texas seems like an awful idea?

Hi! I'm also applying this cycle and have very similar numbers to yours. I'm assuming your state of residency is NY?

Here are some schools that I've been considering in my range that I don't think you mentioned: BU (from what I've heard they have a huge emphasis on volunteering, which you seem to have a lot of), Hofstra (in Long Island, and less competitive than some others), Quinnipiac (a new school on CT, that I'm hoping would be somewhat of a safety), Brown, Einstein, and Creighton.

Also, from what I've heard, Arizona schools take almost no one out of state, but, I could be wrong about that.

Good luck! Let me know if you have any advice on the schools I listed, because I'm also deciding between some of them.

Members don't see this ad :)
My State of Residence is actually PA.
Thank you so much for your input! I should add those schools. I heard that Brown has a bias towards liberal arts colleges/ivy grads which is why I didn't put that on my list

List looks pretty good for the most part. I would suggest possibly adding in Creighton and Cooper as more "stat friendly" kind of schools. Georgetown and G. Washington get huge numbers of applications every year so don't get your hopes up for those schools. Your MCAT is not unbalanced. Having a 9 in a section is ok. Getting an 8 in a section is where students seem to run into trouble. Do not retake it. Your numbers are solid and I am sure you'll be able to land an acceptance this cycle. Good luck.

You're welcome! Thanks for the input about Brown. Have you looked into how many OOS are accepted at the SUNYs?

Baylor College of Medicine is the only Texas medical school not bound by the 90%-Texas-residents rule, but admissions is very competitive and it may not be worthwhile to apply. Nevertheless, you do have a shot at Texas schools; I'm just pointing out the obstacles.

SUNY downstate has 36/185 OOS
Stony Brook had 33/124 OOS
and SUNY Upstate had 16/156 !

I think I'll add Creighton, Camden, and Toledo. Thanks guys! I'll probably remove one-two of the DC schools.

I was also wondering if anyone had any experience with holistic schools like OSU? My private university is in Ohio so I heard there would be ~some advantage.

or with Alabama, Indiana, and Iowa?

Heres another knock against having Brown: they accept a crazy percentage (for some reason I want to say 40) of their students out of linkage programs such as the BS/MD program. I know it's just my experience, but I've found the Philly schools to be a great set of schools to have on your list! Good luck :)

Hi! I'm also applying this cycle and have very similar numbers to yours. I'm assuming your state of residency is NY?

Here are some schools that I've been considering in my range that I don't think you mentioned: BU (from what I've heard they have a huge emphasis on volunteering, which you seem to have a lot of), Hofstra (in Long Island, and less competitive than some others), Quinnipiac (a new school on CT, that I'm hoping would be somewhat of a safety), Brown, Einstein, and Creighton.

Also, from what I've heard, Arizona schools take almost no one out of state, but, I could be wrong about that.

Good luck! Let me know if you have any advice on the schools I listed, because I'm also deciding between some of them.
Although Arizona is still in state oriented they are started to matriculate a little more out of state students.(I am an Arizona resident).

Oh, that's good to know! Thank you for the info

Phoenix Med was 36% OOS for the Class of 2012
and Tucson was 28% OOS :)

^Accidentally posted that on my older account that I was trying to get rid of. Whoops.

Bumping this thread for more input. Thanks!