3.75 cGPA, 32Q

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MadRadLad

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Michigan resident
3.75 cGPA
3.6 sGPA (I haven't actually calculated this recently, but I think it's around here or near this. If I add my 5 credits of 4.0 in Calc III from a community college, it may be higher)
32Q (10 PS - 9 VR - 13 BS)

- 3 years of research in a psych lab (1 poster presentation)
- 50 hours volunteering (more to come this semester)
- Volunteering in a cultural group over the past several years, but I haven't exactly tracked hours. If I had to guess it would probably be around 30-40 hours/year.
- Level III Student Trainer at employment (not sure if this counts as leadership or no)

I need to start shadowing and I think my ECs are pretty thin. What do you think? What else should I do to boost my application? Also, should I retake the MCAT with a 9 in verbal?

Members don't see this ad.

I need to start shadowing and I think my ECs are pretty thin. What do you think? What else should I do to boost my application? Also, should I retake the MCAT with a 9 in verbal?

More shadowing never hurts. Retaking a 32 is risky. I personally wouldn't retake it, but you might consider it if you can consistently score 35+ on practice tests in test conditions.

I have no shadowing period. Have to start.

I don't really want to retake, my AAMCs 9-11 were 34,35,35. I don't think it's worth it for a potential 2-3 points. As long as the 9 isn't going to be a red flag. Is it?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have no shadowing period. Have to start.

I don't really want to retake, my AAMCs 9-11 were 34,35,35. I don't think it's worth it for a potential 2-3 points. As long as the 9 isn't going to be a red flag. Is it?

Like I said, I wouldn't retake a 32. A 9VR won't get you screened out. I wouldn't worry about it.

Hanging out on SDN can make you paranoid. Around here high-30s seems average, when in reality 30+ is a good score. Don't get caught up in the crazy. It's infectious.

Like I said, I wouldn't retake a 32. A 9VR won't get you screened out. I wouldn't worry about it.

Hanging out on SDN can make you paranoid. Around here high-30s seems average, when in reality 30+ is a good score. Don't get caught up in the crazy. It's infectious.

Agreed.

Good point on the MCAT.

How much more do you think I need to bolster my ECs and GPA?