3.75 gpa, 24 mcat, good extracurriculars

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gator15

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got my scores back...was hoping for a 28 but didn't do well on the sciences which I was doing quite well with when I studied. I have a 3.75 cumulative GPA, 3.6 science GPA, 7 verbal, 9 physical, 8 biological totaling to 24 overall.

I have a lot of hours volunteering, shadowing, and research. My letters of rec are about average. I'm skipping out on the MD schools per my low mcat score and will focus on DO schools instead. I assume lower tier schools is where I should focus. But if you guys don't think I have a shot at a DO school then what about masters programs? Or just obtaining a masters in general and retake? Any advice on which route I should take would be appreciated!

Also noted I am a student at the University of Florida and a Florida resident

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I just got my scores back...was hoping for a 28 but didn't do well on the sciences which I was doing quite well with when I studied. I have a 3.75 cumulative GPA, 3.6 science GPA, 7 verbal, 9 physical, 8 biological totaling to 24 overall.

I have a lot of hours volunteering, shadowing, and research. My letters of rec are about average. I'm skipping out on the MD schools per my low mcat score and will focus on DO schools instead. I assume lower tier schools is where I should focus. But if you guys don't think I have a shot at a DO school then what about masters programs? Or just obtaining a masters in general and retake? Any advice on which route I should take would be appreciated!

Also noted I am a student at the University of Florida and a Florida resident

Chances are good for low tier DO schools like LMU-DCOM, CUSOM, ACOM, VCOM, LUCOM, WVSOM, SOMA, MUCOM. You should also apply to Nova and LECOM-B since you are a FL resident, but your chances for them are not good due to your low mcat score.

I dont know what everyone is talking about. a 24 is an average MCAT score. Not bad. Which means you are a normal premed. your GPA is strong. If you have decent shadowing, research AND altruism, I would apply to "top" tier DO schools too.

.. why do I say this? I had a 24 and a 3.78 GPA and was accepted to 3 DO schools (DMU, KCOM, KCUMB) and recieved 6 interviews on top of that.

Members don't see this ad :)
I dont know what everyone is talking about. a 24 is an average MCAT score. Not bad. Which means you are a normal premed. your GPA is strong. If you have decent shadowing, research AND altruism, I would apply to "top" tier DO schools too.

.. why do I say this? I had a 24 and a 3.78 GPA and was accepted to 3 DO schools (DMU, KCOM, KCUMB) and recieved 6 interviews on top of that.

from your post history, it looks like you turned down those acceptances and reapplied for MD?

Yes right now I am filling out apps to the lower tier med schools and just submitted my Nova app. I was hoping to at least get into Nova or Bradenton LECOM, but you think those chances are looking dim as well? Also how crucial is it to get a letter of rec from a DO? Because I have shadowed one briefly in the past but not exactly sure about how to go about asking for one from him.

Yes right now I am filling out apps to the lower tier med schools and just submitted my Nova app. I was hoping to at least get into Nova or Bradenton LECOM, but you think those chances are looking dim as well? Also how crucial is it to get a letter of rec from a DO? Because I have shadowed one briefly in the past but not exactly sure about how to go about asking for one from him.

Has your application been verified already? Nova will be a long shot since many on SDN suggest that they like high MCAT score... These people might be right since Nova average MCAT is 28.

Has your application been verified already? Nova will be a long shot since many on SDN suggest that they like high MCAT score... These people might be right since Nova average MCAT is 28.

Secondary app? No I sent it in right after I found out my score...I didn't want to send in any secondary applications until I knew my score as it would be a waste of money without knowing my score. So I assume then chances of an interview are slim as well?

I also applied to FAU a week ago, only MD I applied to/ plan on applying to. I've shadowed 2 physicians there over the course of quite a few years, both of whom I have a very close relationship with and both of whom are part-time staff with their med school. Now I doubt I'll even get an interview there with my MCAT score but both physicians advised me to apply regardless of my scores...worth a shot I guess

you should be fine to DO schools with them numbers to be honest. i work with alot DOs and MDs and know board members and deans of certain schools who tell me them numbers are well above. DO is getting competitive but to be flat honest , physician shortage is bad and only going to get worse by 2020, and cost of education going up and the scare and unknown of future of insurance and healthcare is causing alot docs to retire sooner than thought. To fill this void they are not knit picking as much as use to. unless your applying to like a top top tier school. most schools you should be fine,Nova is good one, Philadelphia in Georgia, Lincoln in Tennessee, Carey in Mississippi, Kansas CIty, Lake Erie. most schools you are well good my man, you could always re try MCAT

I'm in the same situation. People have suggested a retake.

For what it's worth OP, my distribution was 8/6/10 today.

Is there a chance that it is harmful to retake? I would hope we could score higher than this, but there is always a chance to score lower. Are you able to send out your highest overall score to schools as long as it is within 3 years?

I think you should be fine, OP. I would apply to both FL campuses and broadly outside of the state. Fortunately for you, you have a very nice GPA, and even if the MCAT is not ideal, it is balanced w/nothing under 6.

Good luck.

I'm in the same situation. People have suggested a retake.

For what it's worth OP, my distribution was 8/6/10 today.

Is there a chance that it is harmful to retake? I would hope we could score higher than this, but there is always a chance to score lower. Are you able to send out your highest overall score to schools as long as it is within 3 years?
Schools will see everything. If your GPA is high like OP, I would suggest going ahead and applying. If your GPA is borderline (3.0-3.2), it is best to target the newest schools. I'm guessing the 6 is in verbal. It is common that many people have difficulty with that, so you may catch some slack.

Id say you should be fine OP. Nice GPA. Make sure to apply broadly

Thanks for the replies guys! Now what exactly do you mean by apply broadly? Like throw out applications to newer DO schools as well as lower tier ones? Or submit apps to tougher schools as well as easier ones?

Thanks for the replies guys! Now what exactly do you mean by apply broadly? Like throw out applications to newer DO schools as well as lower tier ones? Or submit apps to tougher schools as well as easier ones?

Yep... Apply to a couple schools you would like to attend and some safeties like ACOM, LUCOM, LMU-COM, VCOM, CUSOM, WVSOM etc...

What temp said. I would apply to at least 10 schools as well

I applied with similar scores a couple years ago, now I'm a second year at KYCOM. I had multiple interviews that I turned down and accepted to a couple other schools that I turned down as well. I recommend applying here. A few students from Florida in my class.

I'm a Tennessee Vol fan, but I wouldn't hold that against you... Go Vols, and good luck!