3.75cGPA, 3.67 sGPA... do I need this internship to get into CA schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pageantry

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
[edited for a lil' privacy]

Otherwise:
  • Non-trad. Have only lived in medically underserved urban and rural populations and would prefer to practice in them.
  • 3.75 cGPA, 3.67 sGPA (post-bacc GPA: 3.8.)
  • I was averaging 34 on my AAMC CBTs, if that helps. Averages broken down were PS 10, VB 13, BS 11. Very consistent. If I need to, I'll retake the new MCAT in May and expect to do well, because I'm better at things that aren't PS.
  • Formerly a humanities major at a UC. Valedictorian.
  • Published in a few literary journals. Nothing too fancy.
  • Built and ran a business in NYC for four years, employed a dozen people.
  • 350 hours clinical volunteering (Great LOR.)
  • 225 hours physician shadowing
  • 370 hours tutoring (unpaid.)
  • ~1000 hours research project leader (At an Ivy League facility. Really great LOR from the head of the department.)
  • ~600 hours medically-related leadership--I started an MD-supervised support group that served about 100 people for two years. (Another great LOR.)
Thanks very much for your advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Lol, thanks, gyngyn.
Freeeeeeeeeeeeee...!

P.S. Just so I'm not posting this again in a month, what should I be looking for MCAT-wise for a reasonable chance at CA schools? What about NY schools? That is to say, at what point should I think about retaking?

(Thank you again, anyone willing to answer.)

Members don't see this ad :)
Lol, thanks, gyngyn.
Freeeeeeeeeeeeee...!

P.S. Just so I'm not posting this again in a month, what should I be looking for MCAT-wise for a reasonable chance at CA schools? What about NY schools? That is to say, at what point should I think about retaking?

(Thank you again, anyone willing to answer.)
I see applicants with EC's like yours get into UC's every year with a 32 or better. With a 35 or better, add the private CA schools.

Thank you so much. That's very encouraging.

Hi all,

Okay! I'm back. I got a 31: 9/12/10. I'm trying to be organized and get as much done early as possible, so I sure hope you won't mind a request to check my MD school list and offer any suggestions about where I might apply or not bother.

I will *also* likely apply DO. I really like DO, especially the OMM part (I ran a Thai Yoga massage business before getting fed up with its vast limitations and heading toward medicine), and I know that many of my NorCal homecountry people actively prefer DOs. Still, it is harder to get clear info on where someone like me should apply and a few suggestions would be appreciated (@Goro?)

My MD list is:

In-state:
Columbia <--total reach, but I have worked there and have a great letter (does that matter?)
Einstein
Hofstra
SUNY: Buffalo
SUNY: Downstate
SUNY: Stony Brook
SUNY: Upstate

Out-of-state:
Cooper
Drexel
Howard <--I have done a lot of volunteering in Harlem and a friend there. I understand they have a referral program. He suggested I should apply? I'm not AA tho.
Michigan State: Lansing
OHSU
Quinnipiac
Tulane
UC: Davis
UC: Riverside
UCSF <--all of my UC's are reaches, of course, but I am from inland NorCal and my heart is there, as well as referenced in my personal statement. Is it a total waste of money to try?
Rush
Rosalind Franklin
Temple
Virginia Commonwealth

I would also say that, if it hasn't been noticed already: I'm a little quirky. I bring the NorCal backwoods diversity (and sincerity, my god, the sincerity...) wherever I go. I'm also mostly interested in primary and palliative care, and have a history of working/living with underserved and rural communities, which is very much where my heart is. I understand that some schools actually prefer those things. If there's anywhere I should absolutely avoid or absolutely pursue for those reasons, I'd really appreciate a heads-up.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Columbia and UCSF don't need the donations in the form of your app fee. Try elsewhere, as per my suggestions. Your

ALL NY med schools, except those in Manhattan.
Include NYITCOM and Touro-NY

Howard (worth a shot)
Quinnipiac
Tulane
Rush
Rosalind Franklin
Virginia Commonwealth
U Miami
Creighton
The Philly triplets
Wake Forest
MCW
SLU
EVMS
All other new MD schools except Va Tech and Central MI.
Tufts
U VM
Any DO school.