3.76, 29. Chance for Illinois schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thecalccobra

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Score breakdown: 11, 8, 10. Shocked to see a low verbal. I'm an Illinois resident. Should I go ahead and apply to in-state schools or wait and apply next year with an improved mcat? Thanks. Kinda bummed right now.

ECs and volunteering/shadowing are average.

Members don't see this ad.

Primary got verified today. The GPA is 3.86

Last edited:
UofI is your only real shot I would say, you'd look better there with an early application. You look good for SIU if you are from central or southern IL. They would't even look at your app if you are not though. Nothing wrong with trying UofI in my opinion. You look good for Midwestern if that is an option.

Do not limit yourself to your 2 state schools as that is a risky application strategy. If you do not receive an interview at either one you will not be going anywhere next year. There is no guarantee that you will do better if you retake the MCAT and improving your score by 1 or 2 points will not make a difference. If you want to remain in the Midwest then add schools such as St. Louis, Loyola, Rush, Rosalind Franklin, Medical College Wisconsin, Western Michigan, Oakland Beaumont, Creighton. If you apply to 10 schools you should receive 1 or more interviews.