MD 3.76/521 Florida Resident School list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fawkes94

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I've gone through MSAR and found some schools that I am interested in applying to but need help in narrowing it down, or finding schools that I might have overlooked.

About me:
Female, Asian, Florida resident, graduated from a big public university, taking a gap year and applying this cycle
cGPA: 3.76, sGPA: ~3.7

Clinical volunteering: ~150 hours volunteering at a hospital (3 different departments)
Non clinical volunteering: ~60 years across a year mentoring at risk elementary school students
Shadowed an anesthesiologist and a gastroenterologist for around 50 hours
Did a health disparities practicum for 1 semester (125 hours), where I got to shadow doctors, social workers, in a pediatric clinic. Had weekly seminars on cultural competency and made brochures, presentations, etc. about resources that lower income patients could use.
TAed for two semesters
Involved in basic science research for a year and a half (~900 hours estimated). No publications, but resulted in 1 poster, and an award at an undergraduate research symposium
Involved with a pediatric cancer organization for 3 years. Held a couple of leadership positions, the highest was PR director for a year. Did ~100 hours (an estimate) of volunteering through this club. This included nonclinical activities, such as 5ks and making meals for patients' families, as well as clinical such as doing arts and crafts activities with pediatric patients.

Gap year plan:
Part time scribe (Started 2 weeks ago)
Volunteering at a free clinic for 3 hours a week (will start next week)

Tentative school list:
UF
UM
FSU
FIU
FAU
UCF
USF
Drexel
Penn State
Quinnipiac
Wake Forest
Albert Einstein
Hofstra
Loyola
Rochester
USC- Keck
Emory
Case Western
Ohio State
University of Pittsburgh
UVA
Northwestern
University of Michigan
Vanderbilt
Temple Unviersity
University of Cincinnati

Do I have too many reaches? Should I apply to more low tiers like Drexel? Also if anybody could give me their opinion on my gap year activities, that would be great too! Any advice is greatly appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You have a good list and should receive many interviews. You do not need to add any more schools like Drexel.

Thanks for the reply! What is your opinion on applying to Texas schools? I know they favor IS but could it be worth it since there's apparently just one fee to apply to all the schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
The odds of you getting into at least one of your state achools are very high. It would take a lot to go wrong for you not to get into any of them. I would only apply OOS to schools you would turn down your state schools and their juicy tuition for. If that means only applying to top 20 schools OOS that's what I would suggest doing.

Delete these lower tier schools that don't interview many people with stats these high and that largely just a waste of time for you( ie Drexel Quinnipac Penn St etc)

Last edited:
Hi everyone! I've gone through MSAR and found some schools that I am interested in applying to but need help in narrowing it down, or finding schools that I might have overlooked.

About me:
Female, Asian, Florida resident, graduated from a big public university, taking a gap year and applying this cycle
Microbiology Major

Clinical volunteering: ~150 hours volunteering at a hospital (3 different departments)
Non clinical volunteering: ~60 years across a year mentoring at risk elementary school students
Did a health disparities practicum for 1 semester (125 hours), where I got to shadow doctors, social workers, in a pediatric clinic. Had weekly seminars on cultural competency and made brochures, presentations, etc. about resources that lower income patients could use.
TAed for two semesters
Involved in basic science research for a year and a half (~900 hours estimated). No publications, but resulted in 1 poster, and 2nd place at an undergraduate research symposium
Involved with a pediatric cancer organization for 3 years. Held a couple of leadership positions, the highest was PR director for a year. Did ~100 hours (an estimate) of volunteering through this club. This included nonclinical activities, such as 5ks and making meals for patients' families, as well as clinical such as doing arts and crafts activities with pediatric patients.

Gap year plan:
Adult literacy tutor (will start next week)
And once schools starts up again, I plan to be a "Reading buddy" at a local elementary school for kids who are in danger of failing the state reading benchmark test

Tentative school list:
UF
UM
FSU
FIU
FAU
UCF
USF
Drexel
Penn State
Quinnipiac
Wake Forest
Albert Einstein
Hofstra
Loyola
Rochester
USC- Keck
Emory
Case Western
Ohio State
University of Pittsburgh
UVA
Northwestern
University of Michigan
Vanderbilt
Temple Unviersity
University of Cincinnati

Do I have too many reaches? Should I apply to more low tiers like Drexel? Also if anybody could give me their opinion on my gap year activities, that would be great too! Any advice is greatly appreciated!!

I have similar stats also FL resident, and think you could eliminate Drexel, Penn State, Quinnipac, Loyola, Hofstra and Temple. The reason is that you are extremely likely to get at least one in state acceptance that you would attend over any of those schools especially considering $$$. You could replace those with some more reach schools that you would consider attending over your in state school.

Thanks for the reply! What is your opinion on applying to Texas schools? I know they favor IS but could it be worth it since there's apparently just one fee to apply to all the schools?
Texas state public schools accept few OOS applicants but you could try Baylor.

About me:
Microbiology Major

TAed for two semesters
Involved in basic science research for a year and a half (~900 hours estimated). No publications, but resulted in 1 poster, and 2nd place at an undergraduate research symposium

Gap year plan:
Adult literacy tutor (will start next week)
And once schools starts up again, I plan to be a "Reading buddy" at a local elementary school for kids who are in danger of failing the state reading benchmark test

Tentative school list:
UF
UM
FSU
FIU
FAU
UCF
USF
Drexel
Penn State
Quinnipiac
Wake Forest
Albert Einstein
Hofstra
Loyola
Rochester
USC- Keck
Emory
Case Western
Ohio State
University of Pittsburgh
UVA
Northwestern
University of Michigan
Vanderbilt
Temple Unviersity
University of Cincinnati

SDN, help me out on this... But, if you have a ~3.8 and a 98th %ile MCAT, shouldn't you be able to pretty much get an interview anywhere?

Fawkes, I'd say that's a good list but that you can add a couple more reach schools.

Thanks for all of the responses! I have a couple more questions

Schools that I am above the 10th percentile for MCAT, and above the average for GPA but still below the 10%
Schools that I am above the 10th percentile for MCAT, but at or below the average GPA

Are any schools that fall into these two categories ok to apply to, or should I avoid them? Also are there any suggestions for mid tiers I should add? How should I change my school list if I can no longer get a lor from my research PI?

Honestly, you're competitive at any school in the country. Your GPA is close to the bottom 10th percentile GPA at Harvard and Hopkins (and maybe WashU), but it's still really good and your MCAT is excellent.

I would remove Drexel, Penn State, Quinnipiac, Loyola, Cincinnati, and Temple.

Add a few more top tiers in their place (Sinai, Cornell, Duke, Yale, Columbia, etc)

Texas schools are incredibly low yield for applicants who aren't from Texas.