3.76 cGPA/ 3.56sGPA 33MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cjorgensen754

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I suppose half of this would belong in the LOR thread, but half here... I have 3 extremely good LOR's, one from an administrator at my University, another from my Research Professor, and one from the head of my Musicology department )I'm a dual degree candidate in Music/Bio).

Good EC's, albeit not a whole lot of shadowing experiences..

Many schools require at least two LORs from science instructors, and i have the possibility of asking for one, but I'm afraid that any I get aren't going to be nearly as good as the ones I already have and it'll ding my chances.. The schools below I are where I'm applying with the fulfilled LOR requirement, any ideas if I need to add more or absolutely HAVE to get another one to get an acceptance letter for 2014 matriculation?!

Anyone in my same boat?

Colorado (Resident)
Hofstra
George Washington
North Dakota (strong ties)
Kansas
Minnesota (strong ties)
Wake Forest
Rush
Tufts
Dartmouth

Members don't see this ad.

I am in a (somewhat) similar situation: 3.64 cGPA/~3.6 sGPA, 34 MCAT, pretty great ECs, with slightly odd LoRs. At first, my letters were: one from a clinical dermatologist at my school (research), one from my EMT medical director, and one from an electrical engineering professor (my major). All of these letters should be very strong.

Eventually I caved and asked for one from another EE professor who didn't know me as well, which I will be using at the schools that require two science letters (many schools accept EE as "science", which is as it should be IMO). In the end, asking for another letter can't hurt you since you'll only be using it for the schools that require it.

My gut feeling is that I wouldn't be comfortable applying to only 10 schools, with the obvious caveat that I am only just applying now and therefore know nothing :).

I think you're ok, but I'd get another one to maximize my chances in any way possible. You do not want to be a reapplicant

Members don't see this ad :)
I am in a similar situation too. I have been making myself feel better about it by thinking that if I have plenty of LORs for profs/supervisors from other studies or activities (like music) that I am obviously very passionate about in my app, then maybe they will have more weight to compensate for the lack of science prof recommendations. If that's not true, someone burst my bubble now... Otherwise, I've been making efforts with my former professors to get at least one.

From what I have seen, it is suggested to call schools to see how flexible they are about the 2 science professor rule...so if you have a few target schools you would otherwise want to apply to, maybe you could do that.

Thanks for the thoughts! I'll be asking to the other Schools later today about the strictness of the nature of the letter writers - will post later with responses..