3.76c, 3.74s, 509 School suggestions? Re-take MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CaffeineJunkie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
EDIT: **** it I'm retaking. Stay tuned.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
School list looks good (I would classify Rochester as a reach too). I would retake the MCAT if you can consistently score 515+ on practice tests. Otherwise, consider applying to a few DO schools too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Asian American with a 509 and a 3.75 gives you an overall 59% chance of getting into a med school. Definitely apply DO as well.

Your chances will be best at the below. Add PacNW, Western-OPR and some other DO schools. try an app cycle before considering retaking the mCAT. Don't bother with reaches; take your parents out to dinner instead.

University of Washington
Washington State University
Albany
Rosalind Franklin
Tufts
Georgetown
George Washington
Drexel
Quinnipiac
Loyola
MCW
NYMC
Rush
St. Louis
Jefferson
Temple
Miami
VCU
Tulane
Creighton
Cooper
Oakland

Ooh that sounds pretty cool! Do you mind if I ask where you got those stats?

Also, I'm not really interested in DO at this time. Is that too risky, in your opinion?

Google AMCAS TABLE 24 and click the first link.

That depends; are you willing to accept a 41% chance of not getting into medical school?

Your chances will be best at the below. Add PacNW, Western-OPR and some other DO schools. try an app cycle before considering retaking the mCAT. Don't bother with reaches; take your parents out to dinner instead.

University of Washington
Washington State University
Albany
Rosalind Franklin
Tufts
Georgetown
George Washington
Drexel
Quinnipiac
Loyola
MCW
NYMC
Rush
St. Louis
Jefferson
Temple
Miami
VCU
Tulane
Creighton
Cooper
Oakland
Thank you so much, sir! I'm grateful to have an Admissions Officer helping me out.

You could also apply to any new private MD schools that may be opening in 2017 (Roseman, Henricopolis, Seton Hall, Virgin Islands).
California Northstate since you are unwilling to apply to DO.

I think his ECs are some of the best I've seen on here. I'd say apply only MD (20-25) schools and you should have a successful cycle. Assuming you don't come off as a serial killer or sociopath during interviews.

Google AMCAS TABLE 24 and click the first link.

That depends; are you willing to accept a 41% chance of not getting into medical school?

Not that it matters here but FYI this is the better link for finding out how people with similar stats to an OP did in admission. Note there is too much variance between a 3.6 and 3.8 and a 30 and 32 to be clumped as one.

http://edge.studentdoctor.net/wamc/Asian_applicants.png

Unfortunately this data is a couple years old so maybe it's accurate to subtract a few percentage points(or maybe not impossible to say but at most I wouldn't subtract more than 2-3% points or so even if it was) But those with a 3.7/31 from 2010-12 who were Asian had gotten 70% of the time they applied. Bump that up to a 75% for a 3.8/31. About 65% of people with a 3.7/30 who were Asian that applied were accepted from 2010-12. Bump that up to 70% for 3.8/30.

As for the OP your list is fine. I don't however recommend applying to 35 schools as precisely what could happen is too many secondaries is likely to start to cause a drop in quality of them which is bad for your realistic schools. 20-25 should be a target for total number of schools. I would strongly recommend at least 15-20 of those be realistic schools you have a realistic shot at a II for which are schools Goro listed. You can consider U of Washington your reach school.

As for No DO vs DO, my advice would be apply as soon as you can for MD and if you aren't getting much good news by Thanksgiving/early December rush out and send some DO apps. Even with a somewhat late app for DO's, you'll still generate interest.

Reactions: 1 user
You should be competitive for any any new private MD school. The only risk is that a school may not receive eventual full accreditation.