3.76c 3.86s 3.96g; summer MCAT; School List Help/Chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StudyShy

XOXO
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
3.76c 3.86s 3.96g; MI resident; nursing major; graduate studies in European history

Thousands of clinicals hours in being a paramedic, mental health tech, and nurse.
Thousands of volunteer hours doing non-clinical work in the community in the form of tutoring, mentoring, and so forth.
Limited shadowing but I work side-by-side/collaborate with physicians as part of my job in the ER.
Semester of nursing research and some historical research
Lots of weird hobbies. I have mad tight balloon animal making skills (had a friend who was a professional clown). :p
Strong LORs (they sent me a copy even though I told them I waived my rights to see them; they were really nice and made me all gushy feeling); waiting on a DO letter; I've asked an old friend who is now a DO if he'd write one for me.

late July MCAT (scoring now easy 10-11s on verbal, easy 10s on biology, and 8s in PS on timed practice CBTs) I'm pretty sure I can raise my PS to at least a 10 (not done with content review in this area) and biology to an 11-12 (with more practice with genetics and ochem topics). I usually have 20 minutes to spare when I do each section so I know that I can improve on reducing errors if I take my time more.

I will be submitting in June to MD + DO and I need help narrowing down a school list. We prefer to stay in the area if possible. My husband has a pretty cool job working with NASCAR teams, and we have children so staying within hours of the grandparents would be nice. That being said, though, moving would be a totally cool adventure that I'd love to do.

The schools within an hour away: MSU-COM (Detroit campus), Wayne State, University of Toledo (I can get in-state tuition for living so close to the school), and UofM.

Tentative School List
MSU-COM
MSU-CHM
Wayne State
University of Toledo
Oakland University
Central MI
Western MI (new)
UofM (should I even bother? No chances?)
Marion
LECOM
CCOM
DMU
AT-Still

I need help with some more OOS MD and DO schools that I might have a chance at that I won't feel like I'm wasting tons of money especially if chances are slim.

Members don't see this ad.