3.77 cGPA, 29 MCAT applying MD and DO. Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lifepassenger

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So my MCAT was just released, 9 ps, 9 VR, 11 BS ( 29:() which is somewhat on the lower end of my practice range (28-33). I have 3.77 cum GPA and 3.70 BCPM GPA.

EC- 2 years volunteering as ER family assistant
- 1+ year research experience in Developmental Biology Lab with potential publication by end of summer
- Shadowing 40+ hours
-HPAC letter of recommendation

I know I would have a solid chance for DO, yet I was wondering what my chances are for lower to mid-tier MD? I'm planning on applying early and broadly. Here is a potential MD school list:

Albany
Boston Univ
Chicago-Franklin
Central Michigan
Creighton
Drexel
Dartmouth
George Washington
Georgetown
Hofstra
Jefferson
Medical College of Wisconsin
New York MC
Penn State Univ
Rush
Temple
Tufts
Univ of Vermont
Virginia Commonwealth
Wake Forest
University of Rochester

Note: I have a preference for North-East or at least East Coast

As OP I declare an oath to deliver acceptances and rejections at the end of the cycle and bring proper closure to this thread.

Edit: Wanted to add that English is my second language

Members don't see this ad.

Your research and shadowing is less than the average med school applicant. Still, you have a decent chance of getting into one of the MD schools on your list. Some of those will most likely not accept you (Albany, BU, Georgetown, Jefferson, Penn State, Tufts, UVermont, URochester). Here are my suggestions:

1) if you are going to apply to all of the mentioned schools, which I think you should, I would apply to 10 more very low-tier schools if you have the time and money.
2) if you don't have time/money, I would suggest only applying to a few of these schools that you absolutely love, and then replace them with low-tier schools.
3) why not try the southeast? Lots of schools along the east coast south of Vermont will work.

I think if you do this, you will have a great shot.

Your research and shadowing is less than the average med school applicant. Still, you have a decent chance of getting into one of the MD schools on your list. Some of those will most likely not accept you (Albany, BU, Georgetown, Jefferson, Penn State, Tufts, UVermont, URochester). Here are my suggestions:

1) if you are going to apply to all of the mentioned schools, which I think you should, I would apply to 10 more very low-tier schools if you have the time and money.
2) if you don't have time/money, I would suggest only applying to a few of these schools that you absolutely love, and then replace them with low-tier schools.
3) why not try the southeast? Lots of schools along the east coast south of Vermont will work.

I think if you do this, you will have a great shot.

Like what?

@Lifepassenger how did it end up? Just keeping you to your oath ;) (I only ask because I have similar stats) You can PM me if you'd prefer.