MD 3.78 cGPA, 3.73 sGPA, 517 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrLæge

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thread deleted

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your list is too top heavy. Your stats are on the low end of adequate for a lot of these reach schools and your ECs don't jump out at me. I think you'll have a lot of luck with state schools in the midwest and some well-chosen mid-tier schools. Here are my suggestions to get you started:

U Minnesota
Case Western
U Wisconsin
U Michigan
Pitt
Northwestern
Mayo
Einstein
USC-Keck
Ohio State (I believe they require having taken anatomy in undergrad, so don't apply if you haven't)
Med Coll Wisconsin
Rochester
Stony Brook
SUNY Downstate
Cincinnati
Quinnipiac
Oregon HS U
Hofstra
Emory
Wake Forest
VCU
EVMS

I would apply to ~20 schools. I removed a number of reaches and left ones in the midwest that I thought you had the best chance at. I also removed "low yield" schools (except for Mayo, which I kept as a reach). This targeted list should give you a solid chance at an acceptance to a good school.

I would also try to acquire at least some US shadowing experience (scribing doesn't count as shadowing and international shadowing is different than shadowing in the US).

I think youll help yourself out alot and give yourself alot more options if you wait until next cycle and boost the ECs(particularly in clinical experience, research and volunteering with the less fortunate) in the next 1.5 years. Something to consider.

Right now there just isnt much in terms of ECs and you live in a state with only 1 state school and a relatively average state in terms of favorability for medical school admission. You're putting alot/really relying on having a solid interview and for their not to be any problems assuming you get a II at your state school. Likewise your stats are getting close to the 90th percentile at some of the lower tiers and the ECs are on the light side for the bigger names. If you can address and expand your ECs, I think your realistic options expand considerably.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Agree 100%. The ECs are really weak, and the shadowing overseas doesn't count. You need to demonstrate that you know what an American doctor's day is like.

I think youll help yourself out alot and give yourself alot more options if you wait until next cycle and boost the ECs(particularly in clinical experience, research and volunteering with the less fortunate) in the next 1.5 years. Something to consider.

Right now there just isnt much in terms of ECs and you live in a state with only 1 state school and a relatively average state in terms of favorability for medical school admission. You're putting alot/really relying on having a solid interview and for their not to be any problems assuming you get a II at your state school. Likewise your stats are getting close to the 90th percentile at some of the lower tiers and the ECs are on the light side for the bigger names. If you can address and expand your ECs, I think your realistic options expand considerably.

Many of the schools on your list are reach schools.
Add a few reasonable choices such as:
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
St. Louis
Creighton
Hofstra
Albany
New York Medical College

Agree with others here. I think with more EC's in another cycle, you'd do better.

Thread deleted.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input, all. My pre-health adviser had been pushing me to apply to a lot of top-tier schools due to my 96th percentile MCAT score, but I was definitely concerned that my list was too top-heavy.

Another factor: I am openly bisexual, so I am wary about applying to Catholic/Jesuit schools. But beyond just avoiding being stuck in a non-LGBT friendly city/school for four years of my life, I would ideally like to work in the realm of reproductive/sexual medicine and serve LGBT patients. Does this knock any schools off my list? (Loyola & Creighton, for example?)

Your MCAT isnt even at the median for most of those schools. It wont carry your ECs.