MD & DO 3.78 cgpa, 3.7sgpa, 25 MCAT (P10/V6/B9)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlueBlur06

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was working in my application and was looking at some schools I would be competitive for. Here's some of my info.

Here are my stats:

Major: Biology w/Medical Sociology Minor
cGPA: 3.78
sGPA: 3.7
MCAT: 25 (10/6/9)
Shadowing: ~100 hours shadowing MD Family Medicine ~20 hours shadowing DO Emergency Room
Volunteering: ~ 70 hours working with children with disabilities throughout last 3 years/Board Member Position
~30 hours medical translating at free clinic
EC: Honors Program Student, Vice President of Health Sciences Club, Board Member for my volunteering program, worked on campus last 3 years, Medical trip overseas, some research, and helped local hospital with public health projects to make city healthier.
Research: Nanoparticle research leading to presentation at school research symposium.
Letters: 2 science, 1 non-science, 1 MD and 1 volunteering.

I'm a pretty relaxed guy used to a rural setting (Oregonian). I would like to stay on the west coast, but am open to any good schools. I want to go to a school where I can build close relationships with my classmates and really work together as a team or even a big family.

My current lists includes: (DO) Applied Already
PNWU
WesternU (both campuses)
ATSU-SOMA
AZOM
NOVA
Rocky Vista
Lake Erie- Bradenton
Touro-NV

(MD) What I am thinking
OHSU (my state school)
Reno
Tulane
Rosalind
Loyola
Rush
George Washington
Temple
Drexel
Commonwealth
Penn State
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Toledo

Any suggestions or additional schools?

Members don't see this ad.

For the MD schools do you have an online copy of the MSAR? Your MCAT is really low for any MD school but if you have the MSAR you could look for schools that have a 10 th percentile MCAT sort of near yours. I'm pretty sure yours will be below the 10 th percentile for all MD schools but maybe there will be a couple that are within a few points of your score.I don't know much about stats for DO schools but I'm sure you will be competitive at the new ones. Someone that knows about DO will be along to help you out.

Last edited:
For the DO schools, you may have a hard time at Nova, LECOM-B, WesternCOMP, and AZCOM. WesternU in Pomona has a slight CA bias. AZCOM doesn't interview anyone with a sub 30 score until February. You should be fine everywhere else. You can also add LECOM-E/SH. Some schools require a DO letter.
Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Chances at MD are close to zero with a 25 and that 6 subsection is basically the final nail in the coffin

You'll be rather competitive at a number of DOs though. If your boning for the MD an MCAT retake is in order

Reactions: 1 user
Concur. It's still early in the Do ccyle, so apply broadly. Skip CCOM, the coastal Touros, KCUMB, and PCOM. I can't recommend LUCOM.

Chances at MD are close to zero with a 25 and that 6 subsection is basically the final nail in the coffin

You'll be rather competitive at a number of DOs though. If your boning for the MD an MCAT retake is in order